Tales from The Shire

Options

Comments

• Fortune_Smiles
    Fortune_Smiles Posts: 5,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thank you everyone - the time has flown and every day has confirmed that we made the right decision to move.

I have been a bit mopey this week. Mr F has been away at a Conference and I have had no motivation. There are so many interesting and exciting things I could be doing and I've spent most of the time watching re-runs of Dr Wh0 :o My diet has been truly atrocious and, if I didn't have to walk FDawg, I wouldn't have got any exercise at all this week. For many years I've been saying that Mr F and I need to put our health first and I've done nothing about it. I am getting rounder and rounder and can't fit into a lot of my clothes. I don't like it. Things have to change.

So....

I've started the Couch to 5K challenge :eek:

I thought, as I'm walking FDawg at 7.00 am each morning, I might as well use that time to up my game. So we started Week 1, Day 1 this morning. Things didn't bode well when it took me ten minutes just to squeeze into a sports bra, however, the first run went surprisingly well. With the help of FDawg (pulling on the lead) and $arah Mi11ican (the app coach I chose) I managed to complete the first run to plan :j I feel very proud of myself :A

And it's a good MSE move too. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5K app which is free and the running itself costs nothing. I have to walk FDawg anyway so I'm hoping that will make following the plan easier. Wish me luck!

Now I just need to address the diet. I can start on that today too by following the meal plan.

With a little exercise and a clean diet my mood and energy levels should improve. I'm already feeling very virtuous :A I could be one of those people who get up and go for a run at 7.00 in the morning :D Polishing up my halo ready :rotfl:

Have a good weekend all

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 87% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I can see that halo from here :):):) seriously, sounds like a really good idea.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,763 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Ooh, exciting :j I started the couch to 5k a few weeks ago too - just finished week 4 :D Felt a bit stupid given that I've done several marathons and triathlons before :rotfl: but hey, the couch was pretty much where I was so that's where I stared :rotfl:

Good on you! :j
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    I can see that halo from here :):):) seriously, sounds like a really good idea.

I hope I can stick to it Karma.
    Ooh, exciting :j I started the couch to 5k a few weeks ago too - just finished week 4 :D Felt a bit stupid given that I've done several marathons and triathlons before :rotfl: but hey, the couch was pretty much where I was so that's where I stared :rotfl:

Good on you! :j

I used to be very fit Cheery but a City career took its toll in the end. I am very much starting from the couch now although I think walking FDawg has been a good warm up.

Week 4! Some of us can only dream of getting to Week 4 :rotfl: Have you noticed any changes yet?

Fortune x
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,561 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Some of us can only dream of getting to day1!! :rotfl:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,763 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    You'll get to week 4 fortune!!

Bizarrely in the running bits I'm running faster than I've ever run before! :eek: before I've always done run/walk but been less systematic about it - now the regular run breaks with an end point mean I'll push a bit harder, and the walk breaks give me chance to recover.

I'm still podgy and stuffing my face though so no changes there :o :rotfl:
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    Today has been a good start - one run under my belt and the meal plan followed :)

I have made up for my former lethargy by keeping busy all day. Mainly making good use of garden and gifted produce. I've:
    • decanted a litre and a half of sloe gin. Some of which has been put aside for Christmas gifts
    • made redcurrant gin with the currants from the garden
    • made rhubarb gin with rhubarb gifted by my lovely neighbours
    • used more redcurrants to make a sweet sauce; half of which went into a white chocolate and redcurrant ice cream and half of which went into the freezer for future dessert ideas
    • made Blackcurrant Teabread with the few currants I was able to save from the blackbirds.

Lunch was Herb, Feta & Courgette Risotto made from the first courgettes and mint from the garden. I've grown yellow courgettes this year as well as green and I've never had any success with them before. Well chuffed :D I added some peas to up the veg content too. Supper was Smoked Haddock Gratin with new potatoes to use up some spinach sulking in the fridge.

Feeling very tired. Something to do with FDawg waking me up at 5.00 am this morning I expect. And perhaps a little to do with the run too. My legs are feeling a little jellified now :o

I'm in for an early night I think. I sure know how to party on a Saturday evening don't I :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Fortune x
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Oh, well done on the running fortune I love running but only seriously took it up in the last couple of years but found that when work got busy my small runs fell quickly by the wayside. This year I vowed to give it a serious go and learn to run for longer. I find it helps with so many things (weight loss and the ability to eat cake are just two :o)) but also to clear my mind :D

Before I was ill a few weeks ago I was running 20-30km a week :D I need to take an enforced break after this week for 2 weeks on doctors orders and I already know I'm going to miss it :rotfl: I would recommend a Facebook group called run mummy run. Great for motivation and top tips for everything from people doing c25k or running 50 mile things. It's a ladies only group and super helpful.

Keep going you'll soon be going out for miles with FDawg. Loving the recipes as ever. Thank you :T
  • brizzlegirl
    brizzlegirl Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Echoed. Fab fab news about the running. Keep it up :)
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    Oh, well done on the running fortune I love running but only seriously took it up in the last couple of years but found that when work got busy my small runs fell quickly by the wayside. This year I vowed to give it a serious go and learn to run for longer. I find it helps with so many things (weight loss and the ability to eat cake are just two :o)) but also to clear my mind :D

Before I was ill a few weeks ago I was running 20-30km a week :D I need to take an enforced break after this week for 2 weeks on doctors orders and I already know I'm going to miss it :rotfl: I would recommend a Facebook group called run mummy run. Great for motivation and top tips for everything from people doing c25k or running 50 mile things. It's a ladies only group and super helpful.

Keep going you'll soon be going out for miles with FDawg. Loving the recipes as ever. Thank you :T

Thanks Purp. I hope I can keep it up. I'd love to be a 'runner'. Thanks for the tip about Run Mummy Run - I've signed up.

Hope you get back on the road soon.

Fortune x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback