Options
12346»

Comments

• DavidF
    DavidF Posts: 498 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Which posts are you referring to?

The only person I can see on here having a go at the wife for not working is her husband!
    Oh not going through to point out individual posts lol. Then I will be the target of their ire lol. But im sure if you look through posts that say things like "Lazy" "Should be working if that's all she does" and things such as this NOT from OP as it's well established what side of the fence the op is on...you just need to read the op to see what he thinks of stay at home mum duties lol. BTW I am not saying some partners don't have a rough end of the deal.....But when you read a thread like this you do get the impression that both sides will have people who see only one side of the story some will think poor op paying for everything...others will say poor op's wife having to give up a career or the prospect of a career to bring up op's kids and make his "home" cook all meals and yet get nothing out of the deal bar a "roof over her head" - most of us have a roof over our head without feeling undervalued or unappreciated. Also touched upon are marriage vows - For better or worse, In sickness and in health, For richer or poorer, Till death us do part....I don't recall any bit that says "If I don't get what I want when I want im out of it" clause lol. Marriage guidance and couple counselling used to be a thing.
  • imaginary_binary
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments, I guess you can only reply to what I've written about. You are right - I am !!!!ed off and feel resentment - but it's after trying lots of things, reading up about all the possible things that could be wrong, helping out with whatever I can, wondering if its me or if she's got another guy etc etc.

Long story short - still not fully sure what the problem is. Obviously you guys won't know the answer cos you don't know our full history so I guess I posted here to get a few different viewpoints and I have them now.
  • Loz01
    Loz01 Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    Options
    Its a bit perplexing to say she doesn't contribute anything and then say she's a SAHM who looks after kids. So how do you expect her to earn money? What would you do if she suggested you put your kids in childcare, got a cleaner and a nanny bc she wanted a job?
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 29 December 2018 at 2:53PM
    Options
    I was in a very similar position. Very happy when my wife gave up work to look after toddlers but getting pretty fed up when they were grown up and she was having a great time while demanding a cleaner. The only sort of reference that struck a chord with me was this:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/how-do-life/201509/addressing-refuse-work-syndrome

Her friend was a housewife but she employed a cleaner. It all came to a bit of a head when I discovered phone bills where the two housewives were chatting for 2 to 3 hours every day.
  • DavidF
    DavidF Posts: 498 Forumite
    Options
    Loz01 wrote: »
    Its a bit perplexing to say she doesn't contribute anything and then say she's a SAHM who looks after kids. So how do you expect her to earn money? What would you do if she suggested you put your kids in childcare, got a cleaner and a nanny bc she wanted a job?

As with many posts in this section - you need to dig a few posts in before you get to the "actual" issue. Lack of intimacy rather than anything else is the problem. It is not lack of a job nor lack of doing her household chores...but if we read the 1st post we were left feeling that it was the later two issues (Lazy, No cash input, Hardly doing anything around the house), this then translated later in the thread to lack of intimacy lol. Sometimes we need to dig and read between the lines.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    OP, do you two do much without the kids? Go out for dinner, for example?
  • svain
    svain Posts: 516 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have sympathy with the OP ... Looking after children at school age is never as demanding as a full time job or looking after pre-school children full time.

Laziness is a relationship killer imo, this is compounded if this same person is also a spender. If there is no saving the relationship, i would be hiring the best solicitor i can afford.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure