20/20 Vision (repaying a debt to my home and myself)

Options

Comments

• doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,834 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 2 June 2018 at 8:53AM
    Options
    The walking club sounds like an excellent plan. Great way to discover some new places and people too.
    Thanks Redo. I'm not sure they will be my tribe but willing to push outside of my comfort zone and give it a go
    The walking club sounds great too, if only I could persuade DH then I'd be tempted to join one.
    It's very important to do the things you want to while you still can. I'm aware that at 54 I need to get on and do some of the things on my bucket list.
    Thanks HH. I think now I am DF and MF I keep thinking if not now then when?
    mark88man wrote: »
    Just popping in to say hello and well done. Our house feels similar, fundamentally sound but a bit low on TLC, although high on plans.

First real maintenance in years was to have the gutters cleaned from a doorstop caller (I NEVER deal with them, but I had just been saying the day before it really needed to be done, so he struck lucky) - he did a good job but said he had never seen anything quite as bunged up - 2 weeks later we have storm from hell and it all worked - go figure)

You're doing fine - and I wanted to write a message so I could keep up with your diary, and maybe kick start some action. I may have a bonus coming in which will be, well a bonus, and I hope I can stretch it to cover as much as you have. If it doesn't arrive well then I will have to work my budgets harder - becasue OH and I need to put some shine in our lives
    Clear gutters made me feel so much better approaching my house.
    Thanks Mark we both seem to be fighting the same fight ;)
    Looking forward to some more shine in my life too :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    I'm still using damp catchers in the wardrobe that is on an exterior wall where the gutters got bunged. Keeping them clear is a saving in the long term.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 8lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 42.4% through my pb challenge.
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    One of the changes I am going to make today is to stop using face wipes. They are an unnecessary purchase on a daily basis. I buy them from Lid1 but I can save more money by not using them. The planet will thank me too. I will be thinking of using up the cleansers as I already have with a muslin cloth. :money:

I currently do a lazy wet wipe last thing at night. I’m pretty sure it has developed due to not having a decent bathroom so not wanting to go in there. I will find a lovely bowl and create a cleansing routine. ;)

My toiletries are all over the place right now. I need to get organised. I have an appointment at the Swedish store about my kitchen on Monday. I am going to buy a bathroom cabinet to keep in the loo. I will stash my toiletries there for now. When I get a bathroom I’ll use the cabinet to store loo cleaners and spare loo rolls. ;)

Cleaning, washing-up, made soup, washing hanging out, plants watered. Going to keep going with the drudgery as I have a day off today in exchange for working tomorrow…

I have no chocolate in the house :eek: but going to go cold turkey so I can have NSDs today and tomorrow

I hope you are all having lovely Saturdays :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,163 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DIA - good idea to get a cabinet for the loo, but isn't there anything you can do to make the bathroom a bit nicer while you save up to have it redone? I do feel your pain, as my bathrooms were horrible when I first moved in here (so was the one in the last house before I ripped it out) and I avoided them when possible.

I use oil and muslin cloths or flannels for cleansing at home. I do use face wipes when I'm travelling. I don't like to, but they are easier to transport than other options.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Great to hear about the walking club , if you lived closer I would gladly walk with you. I use face wipes but am always looking for an alternative.

Your house plans are moving forward slowly but surely . Hope the kitchen appointment goes well for you. You will soon be driving and that opens so many doors .

Have a good weekend.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,163 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I saw something on FB today linking to a newspaper article that said wipes weren't as effective as a cleanser and flannel. I have to say I agree, certainly in terms of getting make up off after work.
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan with the wipes. I use wipes when I am tired and haven't had any foundation on, but otherwise I have a batch of white (swedish shop or primark for pennies) flannels for daily use with cleansing balm. They do a very similar job to the expensive cloth it came with and at least this way I can use a clean cloth every day.
  • RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Several online companies make cloth face wipes now, or butter muslin works fine too. Sustainability points scored as you also avoid the recycling and the plastic wipes come in :)
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) I like your idea of using flannels Redo, when my muslin supply runs out I will get a pile of white flannels.

Thanks Cumbria I love to walk in beautiful places so having a guide so I don't have to map read should work nicely.

Greenbee thanks, that is a good point about making the bathroom better in the short term. I will have a think and try to find a way to improve it until I can replace it.

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    The house is a disgrace but there is an improvement now I have the Dys0n. It is a dustball free disgrace instead. Progress.

Now that I have a car coming I am saving up my items for a car boot sale. I do not have to wait for a friend to take me. I will be arranging a boot sale in the Autumn ;) Progress.

I have a photograph that brings me joy. It won a competition years ago and I contacted the organisation for a copy. I have had it stored for years waiting to frame it. I just put it in another frame. It is not perfect (and I had to trim the photo slightly). Aiming for perfect all the time is such a barrier to my progress. Now it is on display giving me joy after 5 years. ;) Progress.

A beautiful carving of an angel in silver that was a present and stored away is now on my newly decluttered shelf ;) Progress

Today I am WFH so I have already done:

drudge
    ironing and packing away
    load of washing done and drying outside x1
    decluttering to car boot box

food
    chicken curry and veggies simmering away
    beef and lentil Thai curry cooked for during the week

organising
    bringing case downstairs and prepping toiletries for Cornwall holiday

I will continue drudging and organising but later when work finishes I will be going to sit in my newly reclaimed living room. I will burn some grapefruit, read, meditate for 10 minutes. The room is now clean, decluttered and really rather nice :)

Happy, sunny, Sunday everyone :)

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills