20/20 Vision (repaying a debt to my home and myself)

Options

Comments

• mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    no comment on wipes/flannels/muslins not my area of expertise!!

sounds like you have given yourself a lovely room to get away from the worries of the rest of the house/world. lovely to rediscover old favorites

we've been on holiday for the week, and left the house in an OK state - but cam back to find "presents" from the grown up but home alone kids and from the cats to deal with!!.

All dealt with now, but not the best welcome home although we did have a meet the parents evening with DD1's uni boy friend which went very well.

Now just trying to get my head around getting back to work tomorrow, with BG coming to service the boiler first thing. Have a good week everyone
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done on reclaiming some space. If you can keep that clear and calm and welcoming it will make the rest easier.

If you tell us what the issues are with the bathroom we may be able to make suggestions. I had a horrible 'champagne' coloured bathroom suite here when I moved in. With yellow walls. By adding pink curtains and towels and a fluffy bathmat and a rug (because it had been carpeted, so I pulled that up and we had bare boards) it became bearable (sounds odd, but pink warmed up the yellow). By the time the kids bath toys and a few other bits and pieces were in there it was OK.

Even putting up a couple of shelves to put things on can make a difference. I keep lots of books in my ensuite. Or you can put up a metal shelf to keep towels on. Or put pictures up. And candles help!
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    yesterday i was in the swedish store and picked up 3 frames from the bargain area. we have so many things to hang and never get around to getting frames. My approach now is to get reduced ones on the basis that they can be tweaked by losing mounts if needs be. bit by bit, we will get this done!
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st10lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 42.4% through my pb challenge.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've found frames in Homebase, Tesco, Sainsburys... like you, it's just a question of getting frames and getting things up. Pictures and books make a house into a home :D
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I've found some excellent frames in charity shops very cheaply. Sometimes a dire picture is worth buying for the frame :).
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • JoJoC
    JoJoC Posts: 1,836 Forumite
    Options
    Hi DIA - just stopping by to say hello again!

You get through a really good amount of drudge when you're WFH. I feel like I sit down to work and barely move all day so get very little done. But I often stop early to get the dinner started before I need to go and pick up the kids.

How are things with your boss?

Your comments about frames and the fact that perfection gets in the way of progress really struck a chord with me. We have so many lovely pictures that we want to put up but we have a lack of frames and inspiration as to where to put them. I think we should just DO IT and figure it out along the way. Will speak to my husband about which prints and which sizes to order tonight. Thanks for that virtual and inadvertent kick up the butt.

Hope you have a lovely start to the week!
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,404 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Have a good week :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 4 June 2018 at 5:21PM
    Options
    Thanks for the posts everyone. Here's to alternatives to face wipes ;)
    Thanks Greenbee my bathroom is beyond awful as is my kitchen. It's hard to explain but curtains and shelves probably for bad but functional bathrooms. No worries, I'll sort it ;)
    mark88man wrote: »
    Now just trying to get my head around getting back to work tomorrow, with BG coming to service the boiler first thing. Have a good week everyone
    Hope your boiler service went well. Something I need to do too...
    bit by bit, we will get this done!
    I think you are right INOD. Let's keep plugging away :)
    JoJoC wrote: »
    Hi DIA - just stopping by to say hello again!
    You get through a really good amount of drudge when you're WFH.

How are things with your boss?

I think we should just DO IT and figure it out along the way. Will speak to my husband about which prints and which sizes to order tonight. Thanks for that virtual and inadvertent kick up the butt.

Hope you have a lovely start to the week!
    I worked on Sunday so it was quiet. Sometimes I get no drudge done, but whilst I am looking at other jobs I am aware WFH is an incredibly valuable perk for me ;)
    Things with boss are reasonable. I think it is partly me. I'm not sure I want to be there sometimes. I'd quite like to do something else now (maybe) but I need to value what I have and not be hasty. Thanks for asking JoJo
    Hope you get some art/photos up soon ;)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    My day off today and my kitchen appointment first thing.

I decided to go for oak solid wood sideboards and a better tap. It obviously costs more than my veneer and cheaper tap. But I saved money on handles. I also removed a cupboard from the plan so I will put up open shelving and a rack for pans in place for an airier look, as my kitchen is very small.

The removal of the kitchen costs £170 but there is hardly any kitchen to remove so I will be dismantling it myself and hiring a skip that I can use for other things I need removing too. The skip will cost £125 so not a huge saving but I can declutter other big stuff too.

I don’t need to pay to remove my old cooker as my council will take it away if I arrange it.

I am going to remove the tiles myself and some (very ugly) pine cladding covering a wall as I need to get plastering done before the kitchen goes in.

I have another appointment in early July so now the race is on to find a plasterer and get the plastering done before then, especially as I am away for a week quite soon.

A positive day. I hope you had a positive day too :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes went fine, I had booked a boiler service and also asked for a radiator to be looked at. I use homeserve cover, although I do wonder if its good value, but its only a little over what I used to pay for a service.

The guy (who was excellent) turned up to fix the radiator (BG apparently send 2 separate trades to do the two parts of the job) but told me the service element had been cancelled, when I suggested this was the first I heard of it he got onto head office and agreed to do the service himself.

So I'm good for another 12 months. It did go against the grain to put the heating on in the middle of a sunny summer day - but he needed to check the radiators, and bleed a few of them

I think if you take out a 12month plan they will service straight away so in effect you are paying by instalments in arrears plus you get cover if it breaks. I seem to recall I get a deal for the first 12 months which I probably need to double check
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills