edited 12 September 2017 at 12:50PM in Energy
This is a feedback thread on energy supplier
Economy Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
  • Did your switch go smoothly?
  • Have you had problems since?
  • Is it easy to contact?
The feedback comes as part of the
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• Just tried to transfer to this company but had a problem with the on-line process - the site did not recognise my bank account information.

Phoned them up and was greeted with a message saying they had problems with their top up process for "key" holders (amongst other things).

Then spoke to a customer service person who said they were having some "issues" which were being investigated and she could ring me back tomorrow to go through the transfer process.

Still thinking about that one.
  • I recently tried to switch to Economy Energy. It was just one problem after another. I have now decided to switch to British Gas instead in the collective switch, even though it's slightly more expensive.

Issues with Economy Energy:
    You have to switch through their website rather than MSE
    First they tried to switch my downstairs neighbour's supply.
    Then they sent me a letter about prepayment cards even though I pay by direct debit.
    I was given an email address to send in my MPAN and MPRN no.s + a reading, but it didn't work.
    I tried phoning at 4pm on a Sat (Call centre is meant to be open til 6pm on Sat) only to get a voicemail message saying the office was now closed.
    I submitted a complaint as I didn't hear back from my email (to an address that did work, from their website) and did hear back from customer services, however they said that their systems were down so they couldn't actually process any switches right now, or for the next two weeks! He suggested I use an app (Voltz) to do the switch, but this involved inputting all the info I had previously submitted again and basically starting again.

I know they are relatively new suppliers so this may be teething problems but it's just not worth the hassle. And because of the delays it's cost me money, because my fixed tariff with my current supplier (Greenstar) has come to an end, so instead of being on the cheapest tariff on the market, I've defaulted to the expensive variable rate tariff. Would not use again. Would not recommend to a friend. Fingers crossed British Gas will do better.
  • I recently tried to switch to Economy Energy. It was just one problem after another. I have now decided to switch to British Gas instead in the collective switch, even though it's slightly more expensive.

Issues with Economy Energy:
    You have to switch through their website rather than MSE
    First they tried to switch my downstairs neighbour's supply.

Then they sent me a letter about prepayment cards even though I pay by direct debit.
    I was given an email address to send in my MPAN and MPRN no.s + a reading, but it didn't work.
    I tried phoning at 4pm on a Sat (Call centre is meant to be open til 6pm on Sat) only to get a voicemail message saying the office was now closed.
    I submitted a complaint as I didn't hear back from my email (to an address that did work, from their website) and did hear back from customer services, however they said that their systems were down so they couldn't actually process any switches right now, or for the next two weeks! He suggested I use an app (Voltz) to do the switch, but this involved inputting all the info I had previously submitted again and basically starting again.

I know they are relatively new suppliers so this may be teething problems but it's just not worth the hassle. And because of the delays it's cost me money, because my fixed tariff with my current supplier (Greenstar) has come to an end, so instead of being on the cheapest tariff on the market, I've defaulted to the expensive variable rate tariff. Would not use again. Would not recommend to a friend. Fingers crossed British Gas will do better.

That's not a good experience, although ET's do happen, particularly when flats are involved. Did they at least offer to reimburse the price between Greenstar's tariff and the tariff you were going on?
    Thank you all for helping me make my day by saving money!
  • BE CAREFUL of ECONOMY ENERGY and E-UK (e . org or e - uk . com) if:

1. If you are a potential customer

If you are a customer (or potential one) - then why would you want to go to a company like this? Do they offer anything different from a more established Energy Supplier? I don't think so. Even if they were to be cheaper, is it worth the risk of being with such a company?

Do a quick Google and you will see what they are all about. Fined £250k by Ofgem for MISSELLING and BAD CUSTOMER SERVICES.

2. You are an employee / potential employee / been offered a Job

I hear that this company (Economy Energy) and E-UK, have treated so many of its staff badly since their short time of being in existence. Apparently, quite a few people have been taken on, mistreated, then unexpectedly and suddenly being done away with citing bogus and next to nothing reasons (do your research on LinkedIn).

All I am saying is if you are at the company, or considering a job offer from Economy Energy or E-UK, then be extremely CAREFUL.

3. Other

If you are also approached by a company called E-UK, then also be equally careful. Do your research (Companies House, Ofgem etc.), join the dots and you will ask questions ...

I'm not saying do not go with them, I am saying BE CAREFUL, DO YOUR RESEARCH and BE 100% before doing anything. If anything doesn't seem right, do not be afraid to report to the Police, the Companies House or Ofgem.
  • Scruff2015
    Scruff2015 Posts: 12 Forumite
    edited 21 September 2016 at 4:29PM
    21 Sept 2016:

Ofgem launches investigation into Economy Energy Trading Limited sales practices.

Looks like these guys may have been at it again - seems like that they just don't care or learn!

Its their 3rd serious investigation in as many years!
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 June 2018 at 1:04PM
    Tried calling this company today (about 3pm) to get some experience of them.

Their website indicates they are open Mon-Fri 8am-8pm, Sat 8am-6pm and Sun 8am-4pm

When you call them, you nare faced with an automatic menu system with 6 options, none of which appears to serve non-existing customers.

So I chose option 4 - this was for customers who have a credit meter and pay by DD.. This message said they (their direct debit department) was closed as they are only open Mon-Fri..

So called again - this time chose option 6. - For customers who have already applied to join EE, but now wish to cancel that application.

Here I am told whilst on hold they are open Mon-Fri and Sat as above, but no mention of Sunday.

Call was then answered {text removed by MSE Forum Team}. Despite asking how she couldd help me today (so sounds like a general customer services number) she could go no further until I gave her the supply address which I was hesitant to do. Eventually gave her the postcode of a hotel in the supply region.

My question to her was simply do they accept customers supplied via an independent gas transporter netwoek, and if so, on what terms.

She put me on hold as she obviously did not understand the question, and then after a few minutes on hold, I was cut off.

Third time lucky perhaps, I called again.
    Spoke to another {text removed by MSE Forum Team} lady (using option 6 as above) who did not understand the question either. I asked her if she understood what I meant by an independent gas transporter and she assured me she did (I was not convinced)
    Wanted to again put me on hold but I said I was unhappy for that to happen as I was cut off last time, so she agreed to but me on mute.

Came back and she had no idea. I referred her to her own terms of supply (term 9.3) and asked her to explain what bit meant. She at fisrt did not even know what her terms of supply were, but once we got there, she again put me on hold.

She came back and explained simply what an IGT was i.e. a company that provides the pipelines that supply the gas. I said yes, but how does that affect an Economy Energy customer as the terms simply says EE can vary the terms and even the price.

Put on mute again
    She eventually came back and said Economy Energy do not serve customers supplied via an independent gas transporter.

I asked why, in that case, the term was there in the form it was.
    She said sometimes customers apply to EE and don't tell EE they are served via an IGT (erm ... it's not for the customer to advise, it's for the supplier to identify that and decide whether or not they wish to supply)
    She said if EE could supply, they would take it on, but then the terms and prices may vary. But base position is that they do not supply IGT customers.

I think I missed another bullet there.
    They may be cheap, and if there are no issues, you may get a good deal. But my experince was that I would have little confidence in them should you need their help.
  • Bonzodog
    Bonzodog Posts: 27 Forumite
    Went to Energy Club about best/cheapest dual fuel supplier for my flat. Economy Energy topped the list, so unto their website, contact link for new customers and up pops the telephone number [URL="tel:03331039053"]03331039053[/URL].

I call the number and all six options are for existing customers, ie have you changes address, what tariff are you on, do you wish to switch from Economy 7 etc etc. Not a single one amongst the 6 options for new customers to speak to someone about switching over. In fact, all I needed to know was if my area was scheduled for being supplied with a smart meter on switch-over.

Doesn't exactly fill you with confidence about the efficiency of their operation does it?:eek:
  • Did a cost comparison on the Cheap Energy Club website and Economy Energy came up cheapest at £648. I subsequently clicked on the link and it took me through the selection process using the same inputs as previously used and low and behold the cheapest tariff came out at £759!
    Maybe I am cynical but I suspect the headline cheap rate was a rouse to lead you on to their website and then inflate the tariff - please take note!
  • Hi needhamy,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you here.

Could you drop us an email to energyclub@moneysavingexpert.com so that we can check your account and take a look into this for you?

Thanks,
    MSE Laura
  • Joyful
    Joyful Posts: 2,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Most of the customers I have spoken to that have had their accounts transferred against their wishes have been either to Economy Energy or E.
    Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport