British Gas huge bills!

Options

Comments

• House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 7 November 2017 at 2:27PM
    Options
    Robin9 wrote: »
    Gas looks about right for a 1878 house - solid walls, possibly single glazed with little roof insulation.

Lets not get sidelined - the issue is electric, not gas.
    The issue is money ! they are using much more than average on gas as well as electric.The gas usage is not at all right. OP states they are minimum users.
    21000 gas kwhs in 11 months is pretty huge.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The issue is money ! they are using much more than average on gas as well as electric.The gas usage is not at all right. OP states they are minimum users.
    21000 gas kwhs in 11 months is pretty huge.

Where do you get 21000 kwhs from. Cardew's post gives 7000.

OP's usage about 600/700 metered units - - approx 7200 to 7700 kwhs
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Where do you get 21000 kwhs from. Cardew's post gives 7000.

OP's usage about 600/700 metered units - - approx 7200 to 7700 kwhs
    They have now confirmed an imperial meter so 2.8 times the previous calculations which were based on metric units.
  • Robin9
    Options
    In post #34 Bounty1 describes his meter as marked "FT" hence Imperial
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In post #34 Bounty1 describes his meter as marked "FT" hence Imperial
    But that little gem was brought in late in the thread, previous calculations were based on a 2007 meter being assumed metric. It turned out that the gas meter was not changed then. 700 imperial units = 22000 kWh.
  • fewcloudy
    fewcloudy Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    The OP has an imperial gas meter and according to the readings has used over 675 imperial units in a year from Oct 2016 to Nov 2017. that is at a rough guess 20,000 kwhs a year with the average being 13000 for a three bedder. Big user,? likes it hot all day in winter ?poor insulation ?
    You can rule out the old metric/imperial mis billing which the suppliers sometimes do but why did they change the meter in 2007 and its still an old imperial meter ? All meter exchanges were imperial to metric by then.
    Maybe there is a small gas leak somewhere especially if its leaking out in an outside box. I ve found hundreds of leaky meters in outside boxes over the years, one was even coming out at mains pressure when it blew the threads on a nipple.

Sounds painful...

fc
    Feb 2008, 20year lifetime tracker with "Sproggit and Sylvester"... 0.14% + base for 2 years, then 0.99% + base for life of mortgage...base was 5.5% in 2008...but not for long. Credit to my mortgage broker
  • Michaelw
    Michaelw Posts: 296 Forumite
    Options
    It could be a faulty appliance causing the problem.Turn everything off switch off at the consumer unit/switch box and look at the meter.Tturn every appliance used regularly on one at a time and note any difference.A smart meter display would be useful for this test/problem.

If your all electric that can be very expensive.Appartments were bult near here around a decade ago with glendhill water heaters people were then complaining about sky high bills.The only option for them was a dual tarriff.
  • Bounty1
    Bounty1 Posts: 75 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ok so I’ve turned everything off and the meter has stopped going round, over the last week I have taken a reading everyday and using an average of 30 kWh per day, the washing machine has been on once in this time and dishwasher twice. Does this seem a lot?

Also I’m now thinking I need to check for gas leaks
  • SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bounty1 wrote: »
    Ok so I’ve turned everything off and the meter has stopped going round, over the last week I have taken a reading everyday and using an average of 30 kWh per day, the washing machine has been on once in this time and dishwasher twice. Does this seem a lot?

Also I’m now thinking I need to check for gas leaks

Is the 30KWH per day gas or electric. That's really high for Electric gas probably not bad if you've got the heating on. If its Electric do you have a hot water tank, if so does it have an immersion heater that has been left on?
  • Robin9
    Options
    I believe you have 2 fridge freezers. Do you find these are running nearly all the time?

I replaced an old one and cut my bills by 10%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family