Options
14567810»

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,124 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Bounty1 wrote: »
    I’ve done my calculations from my readings and make my electric £114 in debit, my bill was telling me I was £157 in debit on 31 October, my monthly payment has since gone out and I’m using roughly 60kwh a week less than before. I may have this wrong �� but I’m hoping to pay what I owe and switch.

Excellent progress - you are a lot wiser than you were a couple of weeks ago and you will manage your electric better in the future and also have reduced your bills.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Bounty1
    Bounty1 Posts: 75 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks so much for your help :)
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,940 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 November 2017 at 4:22PM
    Options
    Can’t work the gas out as it’s imperial.
    kWh = meter units x 2.83 x calorific value x 1.02264 / 3.6. As a rough calculation kWh = meter units x 32. Unless you download the daily CV from NG you will not be able to work it out exactly anyway.
  • gold4silver
    Options
    We have 2 security lights that come on quite a bit but other than that I can’t think what’s using it compared to what others use.

This has been missed and is quite significant, if they are the 400w halogen lights they will burn 800w an hour between them, not sure what "quite a lot" means, PIR activated a lot or manual and being left on lots?

Say they were on 4 hours a day that's 3.2kwh on its own.

OK im make a few assumption here, they may not be the 400w ones and we don't know what "on quite a bit" means. OP also says "come on" so they may well be PIR but again If they are activated a lot through the night and are set with long "on" periods it can still be a lot.

Guy across the road leaves his on constant all night, maybe 12 hours at a time, this would be 4.8kwh a day (while he is asleep!)
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 5 December 2017 at 3:09PM
    Options
    I've got two 10watt LED security lights, which have inbuilt microwave detectors rather than PIRs so there's a lot less false triggering.

Mine are similar to these and have remote controllers as well https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Remote-Control-Motion-Sensor-Activated-Microwave-PIR-LED-Security-Flood-Light-/162181365290

They replace the 300w halogen unit, saving 280watts every time they come on.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • elkie12
    Options
    I was wondering if you got any answers from BG? We currently pay £103 electric and £285 gas monthly and got email yesterday saying gas going up to £393!!!! That's £500 per month!!! There is no way we use that much. Heating has been off all summer!
    I did a comparison check and first utility estimate we'll use 30,00 kw in gas a gas- BG claimed we used that in a 3 month period last winter!!! Im pretty sure our meter is broken. Like yuo, we're in a semi and our neighbours pay £165 a month for both gas/electric!
    BG are so difficult to deal with but im going to insist our old meter gets tested for faults before our smart meters go in next week!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure