Best Sim-only Deals guide Discussion

Options

Comments

• JenniferK
    JenniferK Posts: 264 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was going to do a £7 sim only 30 day rolling contract with ID Mobile. I pulled back when I discovered that:

1. They do a credit check. Big NO, NO - I'm not after credit.
    2. They wanted both bank details and credit card details. WHY both?
  • mbmonty
    mbmonty Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    JenniferK wrote: »
    I was going to do a £7 sim only 30 day rolling contract with ID Mobile. I pulled back when I discovered that:

JenniferK I am so in agreement with you, it is time these companies stopped abusing our data like this.

According to the ICO Collecting data has to have a PURPOSE, if you are paying by DD and they collect your CC data without you agreeing to authorise payments by CC then they are surely breaking the law.

To be honest I am fed up with companies routinely using the credit reference databases for non credit activities.

If you were buying a mobile phone that would be another matter.

It is high time that the activities of these credit reference databases and how they collect/share/barter data were investigated by the ICO.

For now all you can do is vote with your feet and inform others as you have done, but the more of us that complain to the ICO the more chance there is of them doing something about it.

You were lucky that on this occasion you were able to determine what they were doing and you backed out, there is a "club" of people that not only check you but share your data every month with the credit ref agencies, even if you are not taking credit and even if you prepay your whole account. One company does this for over 8 million customers.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

So how would you expect your service to work if they didn’t extend credit to cover your usage?
    ====
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

You'll want to avoid Plusnet too then as they do exactly the same. I think the CC/DC details are for the initial payment and the DD details for the ongoing subscription. Note that I don't have any issue with that having Plusnet myself.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Choose a Pre-pay sim, they don't require a credit check.
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    mbmonty wrote: »
    If you were buying a mobile phone that would be another matter.

What nonsense. They offer to provide a sim where you can run up a huge bill before you pay and you expect no credit check? Glad you don't run my business.
  • JenniferK
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    So how would you expect your service to work if they didn’t extend credit to cover your usage?

Paying up front?
  • JenniferK
    Options
    You'll want to avoid Plusnet too then as they do exactly the same. I think the CC/DC details are for the initial payment and the DD details for the ongoing subscription. Note that I don't have any issue with that having Plusnet myself.

They say that there is no initial payment so why collect both DD/CC?
  • JenniferK
    Options
    What nonsense. They offer to provide a sim where you can run up a huge bill before you pay and you expect no credit check? Glad you don't run my business.

Seems to work ok with other sim only providers who don't do credit checks.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    They say that there is no initial payment so why collect both DD/CC?

I don't know who 'they' are but for Plusnet (probably all contract sims) you pay in advance for the line rental, any extraneous costs would be added to the next bill. So you do need a Visa or Credit card to join.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback