Regular Saver Thread **New and Restarted**

Options

Comments

• ashteadgirl
    Options
    Stompa wrote: »
    I wonder what should be entered on tax returns, single interest or double interest?

Very interesting question. Can not believe how Virginmoney are messing it up issue after issue.
  • mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    karlie88 wrote: »
    Was speaking to a family member and topic of conversation went on to regular savers (how :cool:). I mentioned that my 2 regular savers with Lloyds bank were about to mature and he seemed confused - 'two?'

I said if you have a Club Lloyds current account (which he does), then you can have their Club Lloyds Monthly Saver paying 3% interest AND their Monthly Saver paying 2.5% interest (deposits of up to £400 and £250 per month, respectively).

He was a little annoyed at himself because he'd been opening up the Virgin Reg Savers and a couple of 2% reg savers with other banks.

So this is just a reminder for the minority that didn't know. :)

thanks for this useful reminder. There does not seem to be any switching incentives or any cashback offers but even so it has merit.
    I previously thought the incentives would not be of use but possibly the Gourmet card might be even if it was only used a few times a year
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • MarkFromCornwall
    Options
    Virginmoney are messing it up issue after issue.

Perhaps the clue is in the name. Virgin Money = one who lacks experience of money.
  • karlie88
    karlie88 Posts: 9,114 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mhoc wrote: »
    thanks for this useful reminder. There does not seem to be any switching incentives or any cashback offers but even so it has merit.
    I previously thought the incentives would not be of use but possibly the Gourmet card might be even if it was only used a few times a year

Yes that's right, there hasn't been a switching incentive with the Club Lloyds current account (if memory serves me right).

We get the cinema tickets and sell them on our local Facebook group. Effectively gives us 2.5%-3% on the £5k in the current account; as well as the added bonus of 2.5%/3% on £250/£400 per month with the regular savers.

There are regular 3 month trials for the Gourmet Society card at £1. Sometimes there's Quidco/TCB cashback on top which effectively means you get paid.

(Apologies as not strictly a reg saver discussion post).
    :grouphug: :D Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member :D :grouphug:
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Was speaking to a family member and topic of conversation went on to regular savers (how :cool:). I mentioned that my 2 regular savers with Lloyds bank were about to mature and he seemed confused - 'two?'

I said if you have a Club Lloyds current account (which he does), then you can have their Club Lloyds Monthly Saver paying 3% interest AND their Monthly Saver paying 2.5% interest (deposits of up to £400 and £250 per month, respectively).

He was a little annoyed at himself because he'd been opening up the Virgin Reg Savers and a couple of 2% reg savers with other banks.

Well, he shouldn't feel too bad, as the ordinary one only went up from 2% to 2.5% fairly recently.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Stompa wrote: »
    I wonder what should be entered on tax returns, single interest or double interest?
    You can request a tax certificate online. Presumably this will match what they report to HMRC. Hopefully... maybe... possibly...
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    glider3560 wrote: »
    You can request a tax certificate online. Presumably this will match what they report to HMRC. Hopefully... maybe... possibly...
    Good point. With Virgin you can view your interest and tax paid online, and I normally just save that as a pdf rather than requesting an actual paper certificate. Which reminds me, one annoyance with that is that bizarrely they don't include the account number on screen alongside the interest and tax amounts.
    Stompa
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,033 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Closed my issue 3 VM regular saver - got £33.00 interest. Whilst it's not to be sniffed at I'm hoping that interest rates rise soon.

I've managed to replace my T esco DDs in good time by a bit of jiggling and a bit of new charity donations. Couldn't do the TV licence thing as they only allow a six month DD in the first year. Annual DDs moved to Santander and two CC DDs to M&S. Fingers crossed it all works!
  • matty17r
    matty17r Posts: 1,215 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Thank you so much for this information. Thought I had got all the best regular savers but missed this one. Nice and simple as well as all ready have the club lloyds.
  • Special_Saver2
    Options
    Hi Folks,

I cannot find anything that has changed for this weekend's update.

This thread is the 3rd version of my regular savings thread. The popular 2nd version has reappeared. The first page is missing, I think because it was moved to create the beginning of this thread. I will ask the moderators put a post at the beginning of that thread to point to this one and then change the status so that it can be viewed but no more messages added to the 2nd version so that we only have one thread (this 3rd version) running.

I will do another update next weekend.

SS2
    For those new to this thread, the first few posts are constantly updated and are here
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure