Regular Saver Thread **New and Restarted**

Options

Comments

• GPK10
    GPK10 Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi

I am new to this thread but not to regular savers - I have all the 5%ers and remember fondly the days of a Barclays 10% RS.

Does anyone have thoughts on using Chip as a regular saver? It could be £600+ per month at 3-5%?

Thanks
  • karlie88
    karlie88 Posts: 9,114 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Gers wrote: »
    Couldn't do the TV licence thing as they only allow a six month DD in the first year.

With TV licence DDs (when setting them up), they do take 12 monthly payments - it's just that the first 6 month pays the current year you're in. The next 6 months pays for half of the following year. After this, you're essentially paying off the remaining cost of the licence in the first 6 months of the year and then start paying next year's licence over the remaining 6 months.

Bottom line is, they take a DD out on a monthly basis.
    matty17r wrote: »
    Thank you so much for this information. Thought I had got all the best regular savers but missed this one. Nice and simple as well as all ready have the club lloyds.

That's good to know. Another family member wasn't aware either - maybe more people are not aware?

They thought that because they had the Club Lloyds Monthly Saver, they would be ineligible for their standard monthly saver paying a lower interest (they thought it worked like HSBC's 3/5% and Santander's 3/5% reg savers).

I just needed to highlight that Lloyds' monthly savers are actually difference products. :)
    :grouphug: :D Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member :D :grouphug:
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 25 February 2018 at 12:52PM
    Options
    Hi Folks,

I cannot find anything that has changed for this weekend's update.

This thread is the 3rd version of my regular savings thread. The popular 2nd version has reappeared. The first page is missing, I think because it was moved to create the beginning of this thread. I will ask the moderators put a post at the beginning of that thread to point to this one and then change the status so that it can be viewed but no more messages added to the 2nd version so that we only have one thread (this 3rd version) running.

I will do another update next weekend.

SS2
    For those new to this thread, the first few posts are constantly updated and are here

I have posted a link on the first page and closed the existing thread.

The reason why the first page is missing from the old thread was because I moved it so I could restart the new thread, without it being in my name and was still under the control of SS2, as it was an important page with links.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,503 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you so much for this information. Thought I had got all the best regular savers but missed this one. Nice and simple as well as all ready have the club lloyds.

Ditto - I've had Club Lloyds saver for a couple of years and never thought to look at the Regular Saver.
  • sully1311
    Options
    Are there any penalties if you miss a month for the Lloyds Monthly Saver?
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sully1311 wrote: »
    Are there any penalties if you miss a month for the Lloyds Monthly Saver?
    Conveniently (or maybe not) there's a useful summary in post #5 of this very thread. Of course that's no substitute for reading the product terms on the Lloyds website.
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi all,

Just doing a recki of my regular savers and my Leeds ones have yet to update my accounts with this months payments, so I have some questions.

1. If I make a faster payment tomorrow on the last working day of the month, does the money hit the account the same day or do I need to do it today?

2. If I make a payment and they cash the cheque I sent and it does make it into the end of the month, what happens if I double pay? Looking at the website it says it reverts to .5% of course I dont want this to happen after 2 years of funding it.

3. Can I just make £50 payment and if my cheque appears for March, make up the remaining £200 as the balance can increase by a maximum of £250 each month even thought it will be a £450 for the month of March.

4. Can I miss a month as I will be hitting the maximum amount in the account by September anyway so I will just factor it in, and still keep the interest.

Not sure if it has been mentioned but Issue 4 now shows as a closed issue, so I am expecting another letter like I did for issue 3, when they stopped accepting payments into the account, and the issue was closed.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • RobStaffs
    Options
    Has anyone opened a Hi-Save bonus account with the ICICI Bank? I have followed a link via this site and opened my account. I am just about to set up my internet banking but I am slightly nervous about transferring the funds. All communication has been by email and which includes account number info and then unique ID info via another email. Some of their graphics look very pretty basic on the emails and I just want to be sure before I transfer cash in. Anyone got any advice?
  • ctdctd
    ctdctd Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    RobStaffs wrote: »
    Has anyone opened a Hi-Save bonus account with the ICICI Bank?............

Probably best to start a new post on the forum. This one is for Regular Saver accounts.
    Do Money Saving sites make you buy more bargains - and spend more money?
  • ashteadgirl
    ashteadgirl Posts: 275 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 February 2018 at 10:08AM
    Options
    Virginmoney E Regular Saver Issue 3

Still got problems with my Virginmoney E Regular saver that was supposed to mature on 20th Feb. Sent closure instruction on 22/2 after interest had actually appeared. Money arrived in nominated account but now access denied to matured regular account. All previous others have matured into read only accounts that are still visible. Anybodyelse had the same problem. I can not believe what a bunch of clowns Virginmoney are turning out to be- there are problems with every issue. Seriously think their IT department are a bunch of idiots - make me wonder how safe is their access security if they can not even organise accounts maturing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure