Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Options

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    From lidl, the Deluxe olive spread with capers and anchovies for 99p

Delicious as a spread , even nicer when added to a casserole, bolognaise etc
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 12 November 2016 at 4:47PM
    Options
    A couple of recommended special buys:-

From Lidl: Luxury Orkney Crab terrine - absolutely delicious (and very similar to something I've had in the past from JS). £1.29 (eta: I see it's on offer at Morrisons for £1 until tomorrow).

From Aldi: Washing Machine cleaner - very similar in principle to the more common Dishwasher cleaner. My washing machine is now a fragrant joy to behold (which it wasn't before). Pack of 2 - £1.39
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Surprised at the comments criticising Aldi bread - I've found the Tiger Bread and the Malted Bloomer excellent.

Its nice if you can eat it the day its bought. I usually find it a bit hard the next day.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I limit how much bread I eat and always go for wholemeal. I prefer to have small 400g loaves. Aldi only do a 400g Hovis loaf at 75p so Farmfoods 2 Allinsons for £1 wins hands down.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    Thank you I got a box on Saturday. They have reduced the quantity from 16 to 12. Still at £1.99 I'm happy!

I noticed they also had genuine FR in today (boxes of 16), though no price on the shelf.
    Stompa
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Best to choose something high up.

I had a row with some parents when my Lidl first opened about exactly that - they had let their children run around the store unsupervised and one of them decided to help herself to a donut, and then put it back.

Unfortunately, the UK Lidl's have not followed the pattern of the Lidl's in mainland Europe.
    Over there, the fresh bakery produce is behind a plastic screen, and you have to select individual items. It is kind of difficult to describe, but it stops people touching the stuff and kids playing around (or even partially eating) the goods.
  • robrymond
    Options
    I think Aldi must be selling the BBQ sauce through winter this year. It was the final summer stock line still in our store and I noticed it has now come off 'red label' and has a new yellow price at 69p.

Typically I stocked up with 6 lined up to last through Winter as I really like there sauce.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Unusually, I've discovered a product I'd never buy again because it's so inferior to the main brand (and I loathe brands!):

Aldi Honey Nut Cornflakes - really quite unpleasant.
  • Doc_N wrote: »
    Unusually, I've discovered a product I'd never buy again because it's so inferior to the main brand (and I loathe brands!):

Aldi Honey Nut Cornflakes - really quite unpleasant.
    I love the aldi ones and theyre fortified with vitamins so partially healthy!
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    robrymond wrote: »
    I think Aldi must be selling the BBQ sauce through winter this year. It was the final summer stock line still in our store and I noticed it has now come off 'red label' and has a new yellow price at 69p.

Typically I stocked up with 6 lined up to last through Winter as I really like there sauce.

Six??? Wow, I struggle to get through one in a year. Same with ketchup or salad cream. I must actually check whether there's a BB date otherwise they just stay in the cupboard until they either run out or I throw them out for tasting a bit odd :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure