Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Options

Comments

• Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    What, compoared with Kingsmill - the worst bread in the universe?

Personally I'd say both Kingsmill & Warburtons share the title for the worst bread in the universe!
    Stompa
  • rose28454
    rose28454 Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    My daughter says the Finest Aldi Fish Pie is fab
  • sarahj1986
    sarahj1986 Posts: 1,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Stompa wrote: »
    I saw what I think was them in Aldi today (I think they're called 'nocciola'). A different looking pack to last year (silver coloured), and only containing 12 (I think last year it was 16), but the price is unchanged at £1.99.

Thank you I got a box on Saturday. They have reduced the quantity from 16 to 12. Still at £1.99 I'm happy!

I've also tried their Wagyu burgers, first time I'd even seen them in stock. My husband and I really liked them. Next time they happen to be on offer I'll buy several packets for the freezer
    :money::rotfl::T
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    Thank you I got a box on Saturday. They have reduced the quantity from 16 to 12. Still at £1.99 I'm happy!

I've also tried their Wagyu burgers, first time I'd even seen them in stock. My husband and I really liked them. Next time they happen to be on offer I'll buy several packets for the freezer

No Wagyu burgers this week :( So we tried the Aberdeen Angus Gourmet Burgers, £1 a pack cheaper then the Wagyu ones, they were just as good.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    meer53 wrote: »
    No Wagyu burgers this week :( So we tried the Aberdeen Angus Gourmet Burgers, £1 a pack cheaper then the Wagyu ones, they were just as good.

I've finally decided I'm not keen on the Aldi Aberdeen Angus burgers. They are over-flavoured for my taste. A really top quality burger should taste of steak and nothing else.
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,501 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Stompa wrote: »
    Personally I'd say both Kingsmill & Warburtons share the title for the worst bread in the universe!

I find the quality of bread, even the same brand and loaves, varies a lot. Sometimes it's nicely soft, sometimes it's harder and stodgy. No idea what the cause is, if it's not me imagining it.

Further upthread, there's a recommendation for the Lidl seeded wholemeal. I appreciated seeing seeded wholemeal in Lidl, but must admit that I didn't think it as good as the competition. E.g. Hovis seeded granary wholemeal.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    PLRFD wrote: »
    I don't like the low plastic containers they have at the bakery there's usually a little kid playing with stuff in them while mom chats to a friend on the phone.

When my local Lidl opened their bakery aisle it was just inside the door on the left. On the right is the chocolate. I wasn't interested in bakery items (for the reason you state), so when I walk in it's "eyes right, look at the chocolate" - but out of the corner of my eye I was aware that there were two teen boys (13-14 yrs) by the baskets and out of the corner of my eye I saw them pick something up, rub it down their greasy faces before licking them and tossing them back into the basket.

I've never liked exposed breads/pastries in any type of shop.... I'd feel the same in Harrods if they did such things; it's not shop quality that makes me think this, it's all exposed goods.
  • Payless_2
    Payless_2 Posts: 3,123 Forumite
    Options
    RHemmings wrote: »
    I find the quality of bread, even the same brand and loaves, varies a lot. Sometimes it's nicely soft, sometimes it's harder and stodgy. No idea what the cause is, if it's not me imagining it.

Further upthread, there's a recommendation for the Lidl seeded wholemeal. I appreciated seeing seeded wholemeal in Lidl, but must admit that I didn't think it as good as the competition. E.g. Hovis seeded granary wholemeal.

I have never been keen on Lidl's bread but Aldi's seeded loaf is lovely
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,276 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Surprised at the comments criticising Aldi bread - I've found the Tiger Bread and the Malted Bloomer excellent.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Surprised at the comments criticising Aldi bread - I've found the Tiger Bread and the Malted Bloomer excellent.

I agree. I suppose it depends to an extent which kinds of bread you buy and you like. In my case that's everything except the very basic white and brown sliced loaves and rolls. The "posh" loaves in both Aldi and Lidl (the ones on permanent reduction to 79p) are excellent VFM.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure