Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Options

Comments

• PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Maybe the renovation of the UK stores will incorporate something similar for the bakery.

I don't think so both my local Lidl's have just finished major refurbishments and like I said earlier the containers are open for the little darlings to play with,I heard one mom when she saw her kid messing with a donut say put that back and come here.
  • shandyclover
    Options
    Our local Aldi is closing at the end of the month for a re-fit, it will be closed for a year. I anticipate this will really affect us as we are a mainly vegan household and shop for veggies and fruit up to 3 times a week and were very reliant on Aldi's cheap produce. The next closest shop is Lidl. My impression is the veg and fruit there is dearer? We can drive a few miles further towards the next nearest Aldi or switch to Lidl. There is also a Morrisons and Tesco - any advice?
    No buying unnecessary toiletries 2014. Epiphany on 4/4/14 - went into shop to buy 2 items, walked out with 17!

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Its not going to cost a great deal for Lidl to create bakery baskets that are behind a shield. I think I'll email them.

On the other hand, its not going to stop some people from contaminating the goodies. The other day I was stunned to see a customer trying to open an oven door whilst a batch was cooking and help themselves! So never underestimate people's right to help themselves.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,605 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Closed for a year!:eek:

I think it's much the same if you look at your overall basket. Some weeks if you compared a particular item on Super6 in Aldi with normal price in Lidl then they'd be cheaper but Lidl have offers on F&V too so I think it's swings and roundabouts.
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think they are pretty much the same pricewise, but Aldi is better quality.
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Its not going to cost a great deal for Lidl to create bakery baskets that are behind a shield. I think I'll email them.

On the other hand, its not going to stop some people from contaminating the goodies. The other day I was stunned to see a customer trying to open an oven door whilst a batch was cooking and help themselves! So never underestimate people's right to help themselves.

If they had managed, it would have given them a real lesson which they wouldn't forget - far higher temperatures than a home oven along with steam:eek:
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    andygb wrote: »
    If they had managed, it would have given them a real lesson which they wouldn't forget - far higher temperatures than a home oven along with steam:eek:
    But then I would have been obliged to offer assistance. I can help the walking wounded, but I can't fix stupid.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • robrymond
    Options
    Noticed a few slight price increases on some of my usual products today, only about 5p or so.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,276 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    robrymond wrote: »
    Noticed a few slight price increases on some of my usual products today, only about 5p or so.

Pretty much inevitable, unfortunately, thanks to Brexit. And all the more so on the huge number of items Aldi and Lidl source from outside the UK.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    PLRFD wrote: »
    I don't think so both my local Lidl's have just finished major refurbishments and like I said earlier the containers are open for the little darlings to play with,I heard one mom when she saw her kid messing with a donut say put that back and come here.

There is one new Lidl opened about 3.5 miles away from me in July and its easier to get to. The Bakery is open and its the first thing you see when you go through the doors

I had a third of the pesto and goats cheese focaccia - popped in the microwave for 30 seconds - lovely
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure