My Microsoft Money has stopped getting prices online

Options

Comments

• Lakeuk
    Lakeuk Posts: 1,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    If you've got excel then you can use a free addin to get share prices from yahoo, works very well

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/smf_addin/
  • MadLoopy
    MadLoopy Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    Same here no share updates since 01/07 BUT my M&G fund updated today as normal. Uninstalled and reinstalled and still no luck What is going on?? I love MS Money and just wish it could be made open source so the software could be updated. Tried loads of others none come close. Quicken with no support in UK is a joke
  • Hippo0
    Hippo0 Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 4 July 2013 at 7:42PM
    Options
    GKP1 wrote: »
    Looks interesting, but when I downloaded the code - hle-ofx-quotes - my browser was giving me multiple warnings of dire consequences if I opened it, so I chickened out.

It is a java program, so I expect that depending on your browser's security settings you could get warnings. I didn't, and from what I've seen so far it seems perfectly safe.

The thing to do is to save the file (hleOfxQuotes-Build_20111221_78-app.jar) somewhere on your computer (I placed it in the same directory as my money file), and you can then run it by double clicking it - assuming you have java installed on your PC. And make sure you backup your MSMoney file before doing anything.

It appears to me to be the best solution that I've seen.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just tried mine. Funds are still updating ok just not shares.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • GKP1
    GKP1 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    Hippo0 wrote: »
    It is a java program, so I expect that depending on your browser's security settings you could get warnings. I didn't, and from what I've seen so far it seems perfectly safe.

The thing to do is to save the file (hleOfxQuotes-Build_20111221_78-app.jar) somewhere on your computer (I placed it in the same directory as my money file), and you can then run it by double clicking it - assuming you have java installed on your PC. And make sure you backup your MSMoney file before doing anything.

It appears to me to be the best solution that I've seen.

Many thanks Hippo0 - I have taken the plunge, downloaded it and am going to set it up this morning - it may take a while to read the documentation and set up as I have over 100 symbols to enter....
  • GKP1
    Options
    I'm struggling to get this working. It won't import data from my Google portfolio, but I can use Yahoo, where I have a full list of symbols. If I click on Update Prices, a list of correct prices appears in the window below (although the trade time is EDT (5 hours earlier than BST)). If I then click on Import to MSMoney, and create a new dummy investment portfolio, Money asks whether to import symbols, one by one, and whether to change the symbol to the Yahoo format (with suffix .L) However, the symbols which I have imported are not showing the correct price - they are still the closing price on 1st July, not the current price as retrieved by the OFX Quotes program. Any suggestions?
  • Totton
    Totton Posts: 981 Forumite
    Options
    MadLoopy wrote: »
    Hi
    I love MS Money and just wish it could be made open source so the software could be updated. Tried loads of others none come close.

Hear! hear! I have tried so many others but MS Money is the best out there, shame on Microsoft for abandoning it!
  • Hippo0
    edited 5 July 2013 at 2:32PM
    Options
    I'm struggling to get this working. It won't import data from my Google portfolio, but I can use Yahoo, where I have a full list of symbols. If I click on Update Prices, a list of correct prices appears in the window below (although the trade time is EDT (5 hours earlier than BST)). If I then click on Import to MSMoney, and create a new dummy investment portfolio, Money asks whether to import symbols, one by one, and whether to change the symbol to the Yahoo format (with suffix .L) However, the symbols which I have imported are not showing the correct price - they are still the closing price on 1st July, not the current price as retrieved by the OFX Quotes program. Any suggestions?

http : //code.google.com/p/hle-ofx-quotes/wiki/mapperDotCsv

http : //code.google.com/p/hle-ofx-quotes/wiki/UKUsers

First link - have you set up a mapper.csv file to "translate" the symbols.

Second link - I used ft.com for my portfolios, as recommended. As I have not tried other services I don't know if they will work. I believe it's also necessary to set up all the other settings as described on this page. The posts at the bottom of this page are worth reading as some were very useful (specially if you need quotes in multiple currencies).
  • GKP1
    Options
    Hippo0 wrote: »
    http : //code.google.com/p/hle-ofx-quotes/wiki/mapperDotCsv

http : //code.google.com/p/hle-ofx-quotes/wiki/UKUsers

First link - have you set up a mapper.csv file to "translate" the symbols.

Second link - I used ft.com for my portfolios, as recommended. As I have not tried other services I don't know if they will work. I believe it's also necessary to set up all the other settings as described on this page. The posts at the bottom of this page are worth reading as some were very useful (specially if you need quotes in multiple currencies).

Yes, I have set up mapper to translate the symbols.
    I also set INVTRANLIST to true. This resulted in prices being imported, just not the current 20 minutes delayed prices.
    I used Yahoo because I already had all my symbols in a Yahoo portfolio. To use FT.com would mean having to manually input them all again. The Yahoo prices, as shown in the Prices tab are the correct, 20 min delayed prices. It's just that they are not being imported into Money correctly. For example, Telecom Plus, epic TEP, or TEP.L in Yahoo format, currently 1312.0 in the prices tab (correct) but 12.61 in Money. I am wondering whether the 5 hours time difference between the EDT time and BST is throwing things. Another point: Prices are shown as GBP in OFXQuotes, but they are in fact GBX (pence)
  • Hippo0
    Options
    Yes, I have set up mapper to translate the symbols.
    I also set INVTRANLIST to true. This resulted in prices being imported, just not the current 20 minutes delayed prices.
    I used Yahoo because I already had all my symbols in a Yahoo portfolio. To use FT.com would mean having to manually input them all again. The Yahoo prices, as shown in the Prices tab are the correct, 20 min delayed prices. It's just that they are not being imported into Money correctly. For example, Telecom Plus, epic TEP, or TEP.L in Yahoo format, currently 1312.0 in the prices tab (correct) but 12.61 in Money. I am wondering whether the 5 hours time difference between the EDT time and BST is throwing things. Another point: Prices are shown as GBP in OFXQuotes, but they are in fact GBX (pence)

I've no idea, I'm afraid. Couldn't be this could it?

"Limitation
    • For import statement, MM appear to update its quote price only ONCE a day. So if you import one in the morning, subsequent update will not change the price."
    Curiously, this doesn't happen to me. Every time I update the prices DO change.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure