Feedback on Utility Point

Options

Comments

• grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    It's just occurred to me that I've never had anybody come to read my meter since I've been with Utility Point.
    Apparenty, by law, energy suppliers only have to read your meter once every two years.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • poppellerant
    poppellerant Posts: 1,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    grumpycrab wrote: »
    Apparenty, by law, energy suppliers only have to read your meter once every two years.
    I think Iresa used to come every 6 months, as did OVO. But I shall keep providing my readings - their own readings are merely supplementary to my own.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The actual OFGEM regulation clearly states that the energy company must have 1 annual reading. And that is the sum total of the requirement. There is no need to send out a meter reader if the company is happy that the consumers reading can be trusted.
    SLC 21B Billing based on meter readings
     Suppliers must take all reasonable steps to obtain meter readings at least
    annually, and must make a bill or statement of account available at least
    twice a year, or quarterly where requested and/or if a customer has online
    account management
    Suppliers must take all reasonable steps to reflect accurate meter readings in
    bills or statements sent to customers where these have been provided by a
    customer or obtained by the supplier. If a supplier doesn’t consider a meter
    reading provided by a customer to be reasonably accurate, it must take all
    reasonable steps to obtain a new reading from the customer.
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/system/files/docs/2017/11/metering_billing_and_payments_0.pdf
  • PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I got a meter reader for my gas, around the start of March. As yet, this reading is not showing on my account. I left Zog, my previous supplier, in April 18, so cannot see it being paperwork out of date.
  • WBCPB
    WBCPB Posts: 440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bit the bullet and pressed the "switch" button on 25th and within an hour had the email with the attached welcome pack.They could not find my gas meter reference number on the national database,i had the same problem with my 1st switch after moving into this property,so sent them a photo of the actual meter which only has the meter serial number and month and year of manufacture, and a copy of my NPower bill which had the MPRN number clearly shown.Called them up today to confirm they had received the images and the telephone was answered after just one ring(2.06pm) so all good so far.Early days i know!
    Regards
  • zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    Options
    Nobody has read my meter in the past 5 years, but I submit a reading monthly. Anyway, I also switched to UP just before Easter (actually I thought I was too late as it was evening of Maundy Thursday) but it seems like they actually did stuff during the 4-day weekend and the switch is progressing faster than any of my previous switches...
  • Lezduur
    Lezduur Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    gsmlnx wrote: »
    Could be covered by T&C

But this contradicts the email

I would argue that if the welcome letter says that you are on a variable package and there are no exits fees then there is nothing to stop you moving to another package.
    So if the new package is variable and has no exit fees then you should be free to change again without fees.

You would need to argue this point BEFORE getting them to action the move in the email as it could be read that you agreed to the possible £36 fees in future as notified in said email.

Got this sorted.
    A few emails back and forth and they have reviewed my account and as I was on a variable tariff with them before and switched to a variable tariff after there is no £36 charge.

Hi there

I can't seem to find your charge for switching tariff at £36, as you've mentioned, in any of the terms and conditions applicable.
    Is there a separate charge sheet I have not been made aware of?
    Thank you for your time
    Lester

Good afternoon Lester,

Thank you for your email,

To confirm the below for you, the £36 mentioned for switching tariffs is in relation to exit fees for a fixed tariff.

As my colleague detailed below we are happy to switch you from a fixed tariff to a variable once with no extra cost to yourself, however if you were now to switch back to a fixed and then move to a variable tariff for a second time, the exit fee would be applied to your account.

Exit fees are detailed within your terms and conditions that were issued to you at the commencement of your first tariff with us.

I hope this helps to answer your query, if you do have any further questions please don't hesitate to contact us via one of the methods below.

Warmest Regards,
    Kris

Utility Point Team

Hi Kris

Thanks! I was not on a fixed tariff anyway.
    That's why my question.

Can you please clarify?
    Cheers
    Lester

Good afternoon Lester,

My apologies, I had another look at your account and can see you moved from one variable tariff to another, ignore the mention of exit fees as they are not applicable to your tariff.

Warmest Regards,
    Kris

Utility Point Team
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    @Lezduur

Glad it's sorted now.
  • ashe
    ashe Posts: 1,551 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Its quite frustrating that their website is slow to update the balance.

Our statement date around the 14th of the month, we're now 13th May and our account on the website is showing a credit balance of £195, I asked for this to be refunded given our monthly payments are still on the "high" cycle and our usage is quite low and we'll be leaving them once they go back up again as it will be the 12 month fixed deal ending so there won't be any "debt" to build up again - they keep saying the statement issued on the 14th shows this balance is reduced by that months usage...so why doesn't the website show a balance which is previous balance less billed balance on the 14th? Seems like it will a always be one month out of date if thats the case
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    As we pay 1 month in advance and (some of us) have high Winter DDs and its been a mild Winter, I expect many people will have large credits going in to Summer. Time to read the T&Cs...
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback