MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Would you drink someone else's champagne?

Options

Comments

• adouglasmhor
    adouglasmhor Posts: 15,554 Forumite
    Photogenic
    Options
    Do you think it would be pushing it to ask for a bottle of cassis as well? A hot day like today you realy should be using it in Kir Royalle.
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    No dilemma for me: the answer's a clear and resounding "no": I'm allergic to alcohol, so I don't drink it.
  • nexus53
    nexus53 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Nah - wouldn't drink it, can't stand the stuff. Might sell it tho !
    :j
  • Darksun
    Darksun Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Options
    reehsetin wrote: »
    not any more
    "Unsolicited Items

Under the Unsolicited Goods and Services Act 1971, (as amended) it is an offence to demand payment for goods known to be unsolicited, in other words, they were sent to a person without any prior request made by them or on their behalf.

Someone who receives goods in these circumstances may retain them as an unconditional gift, and does not have to pay for or return any unwanted goods. Anyone who receives a demand for payment for unsolicited goods should report the matter to their local Trading Standards Department.

However, in the case of unsolicited goods received before 1 November 2000, the recipient is required to give notice to the sender to collect them within 30 days, or otherwise to wait for 6 months, before being able to treat the goods as their own property."
    http://www.berr.gov.uk/consumers/buying-selling/unsolicited/index.html

I'm not sure if this applies though. Firstly, the goods were not sent to you, they were sent to your address but since there is another name on there it's hard to claim it was sent to you. Secondly, they're not unsolicited, they were solicited by the person that ordered them.
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    Options
    I would go to a really serious effort to make sure "Deirdre" got her Champers as keeping it would be the same as taking a 10er or 20 quid out of her purse.
    There are two addresses within a 5 mile radius of me that are just a little bit like mine, we exchange Xmas cards.

However I would be reluctant to just hand it back to the Courier company as it may well be part of an insurance claim already. I would expect to be able to tell the the sender or the receiver that I had their consignment, so I could be reasonably sure it would get correctly documented back into "the system" and then get to its rightful owner.
  • ocsiban
    ocsiban Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    get the glasses, CHEERS !!
  • Kerensamad_2
    Options
    I definitely wouldn't drink it, as the moment you decide to keep it that technically becomes theft and if you are found out by the company who delivered it they could have you arrested.
    Best to take all reasonable steps to return it to the company who delivered it to you.

:A
  • tryfive
    tryfive Posts: 82 Forumite
    Options
    Total suposition on your part. If you report it as unsolicited goods or simply keep it safe awaiting further contact, there is no theft. If it is unsolicited from a trader - you are the owner. The driver is the one who comited a theft by not taking proper care of goods in his charge.

Nope - the driver didn't intend to permanently deprive the rightful owner of their property, ergo no theft. :A
  • jh71283
    jh71283 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Darksun wrote: »
    The Theft Act 1968 states that "Any assumption by a person of the rights of an owner amounts to an appropriation, and this includes, where he has come by the property (innocently or not) without stealing it, any later assumption of a right to it by keeping or dealing with it as owner.". People have been successfully prosecuted for theft after spending money they mistakenly received in their bank account, keeping the champagne in this case is theft, simple.

This is not the same as money in your bank account.

Under the Distance Selling Regulations, you legally own anything that is sent to you unsolicited. That is: - You did not ask for it.

In this case, the Distance Selling Regulations override the Theft act.
  • tryfive
    tryfive Posts: 82 Forumite
    Options
    FatDickie wrote: »
    Do everything in my power to return them or find the person they were rightly intended for. She has obviously done something to deserve it, where I have not.

Well... That's one way of looking at it.

Playing devil's advocate: For all you know Deidre could be a... Um... "Professional lady" who provides "personal services" for the "discerning gentleman".

Potentially, contacting the sender could cause an immense amount of upset to the sender's wife; previously unaware of his adulterous behavior, and kicking off a marital tiff that ends up in a particularly messy divorce; scarring their three children for life.

And all because YOU decided to try and "get in touch with the sender"

YOU HOMEWRECKER! YOU DON'T DESERVE THE CHAMPAIGNE, and should THROW IT AWAY AT ONCE!

;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport