PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Are you ever embarassed by your money-saving ways?

Options

Comments

• katholicos
    katholicos Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not at all embarrassed by my money saving ways. Maybe i embarrass others though?

It might sound sad to some but the first thing i do when i go on holiday (i don't go abroad, chance would be a fine thing) is to check out the charity shops in the area...even if we go out for the day i feel downhearted if i don't find a charity shop! I don't buy bric a brac but i love books and films particularly and often come across amazing bargains in charity shops that i wouldn't otherwise be able to afford. I also give loads to charity myself, and for everything i bring into the house i try to give one item away to charity, to church, to a friend or family member.

I am trying to implement the mantra 'reduce, reuse, recycle', so periodically i go through each room and gut it completely, i can be quite harsh with myself and the last donation to charity saw the British Heart Foundation van man filling his van up with about 12 bin liners full of unwanted gifts, clothes, CD's, DVD's and even a guitar. This way t i contribute to a good cause and keep these shops in business so i can continue to peruse the bargains in them.

Regarding being OS, i make my own jam, chutney, cakes, bread, scones, pizza, Christmas &birthday cards, i make Christmas hampers for gifts with bargains i buy throughout the year, i make soups and casseroles in bulk and freeze them etc. My close family think its brilliant because they get to enjoy home cooked and home made things that are carefully and lovingly made etc. On the other hand, i have other family members and friends who would be bemused by my money saving efforts (I don't see many of them often, it isn't like i hide anything from them). I have the last laugh though when their gifts to me and mine end up in my present-recycling box :rotfl:

The most recent of my money saving ventures is to make my own fat balls for the birds, they love my creations and last week i made 28 fat balls for less than £1.60! The birds have been really snarky with each other trying to get a look in with the fat balls i put on the bird feeder

Oh i forgot, cheese....yes i would have taken the cheese....though i might have said aloud that it was for my pet! (because i am one of those apologetic-feel-the-need-to-explain-myself-and-my-actions-type-of-people)
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • wormfan
    Options
    leed wrote: »
    Quite often if we go out for a meal and I can't eat all the meat I put it in a paper napkin and bring it home for the dog - she always knows when I've got something in my bag. One time after doing this and getting home my son looked very bemused when the dog went crazy smelling my bag. He hadn't seen me put the left over meat away!
    If we are having pizza and can't finish it I ask for it to be put into a pizza box to take home - the waiter usually is quite happy to do this - I've paid for the food and I begrudge wasting it. Before now we have even taken a partly finished bottle of wine home - I know your not supposed to as the restaurant normally doesn't have an off-licence licence but well, again if we have paid for it why not take it home and drink it?
    :beer:
    Our dogs love it when scavenged leftovers come home they can smell stuff through multiple layers of foil and napkins.
    I do think that the half eaten 'pavement burger/pizza' is their favorite freebie scoff!!
  • katholicos
    katholicos Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    Steel wrote: »
    From what I can gather from a few garden fence chats, their bills are high, they spend all of their income on luxuries and take out loans and credit cards for new furniture and holidays etc.

The hubby is scared and his job is in peril at the moment but the wife refuses to make cut backs...

When i was growing up, my parents were very sensible with money, and eventually, through consistently restraining themselves from spending, they were able to buy their house (after renting it for about 20 years). Our next door neighbours couldn't understand why our family had a black and white portable telly and why we only ever went on camping holidays (though we did go to Pontin's one summer - it was actually my least enjoyed family holiday).

The sad thing was that our neighbours bought (everything on credit) new cars, big tellly's, had holidays abroad etc and they *bought* their house only to re mortgage. Eventually, they were threatened with eviction....so...the husband went to work that week, bought home his pay, and instead of paying the mortgage or at least be seen to making some kind of effort....he and his wife went out to buy a pedigree Alsation dog.

They used to laugh at my parents (yet for years they knocked on for food to fee their kids every other day and my mother would never see their kids unfed) but now they are both in their late 60's and the last time i saw them they had practically nothing, they moved to Wales shortly after their eviction, I don't know what became of them. Very sad, but they did bring it on themselves.

So the moral of this story is to not give a care to what anyone else thinks about your money saving savvyness, you are being responsible, so many people live outside their means, i have too in my time, but thankfully now i have seen the error of my ways.
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • 4Chickens
    Options
    Damn right I would have taken the cheese.
    In fact, hubby and I were invited for Sunday lunch at a friends house and he was going to chuck the leftover chicken, spuds, veg, stuffing and gravy. I made up a plate with the leftovers and took it home. I had it for lunch at work the next day (I must return his dinner plate sometime. I will wait for another invite to to lunch).
    I shred all our waste paper at work and bring it home to use as bedding for our chickens.
    I re-use tinfoil everyday for my sandwiches.
    There is never any wasted food in our house, even if it ends up going to the dog, cats or chickens.
    I spent £105 on clothes the other day. The only money I have spent on clothes this year.
    I work for a construction company and have re-used their left over wood for stuff in the garden.
    I feel dead chuffed when I can do/get something for free:T
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Cute_Mouse wrote: »
    I am new to the forum, and this is my first post.
    I am embarrassed but I am not sure why, after all the money saving tips I have gained so far will benefit me, and I am not really bothered what shops I shop in. May be it is other peoples reactions that are the problem.
    For example, I was so excited about some offers that I told me my friends, but they were not really interested, despite telling me they have no money. I just don’t understand. If you have no money surely money saving ways are useful.
    I was embarrassed when I was hovering around waiting for meat to be reduced in the supermarket. But I did get my reward, cheap meat!

Hi cutemouse, love the name! Welcome to the forum :D

I think the people who don't understand haven't realised the link between their spending and them being skint. As in they dont realise how many cust they can make and what a significant difference it can have in their disposable income! Basically, they haven't had their Lightbulb moment
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Sosh
    Sosh Posts: 175 Forumite
    Options
    DH is more embarrased than me. My Mum is a chocoholic, a couple of weeks ago, I was flicking through the M&S christmas catalogue and spotted a chocoholics hamper for £50 :eek:. I said I could make one for my Mum for a fraction of the price and started planning what I could make to put in it. DH was horrified and begged me note to make any presents for his family. I told him he could buy his family what he wanted as long as he paid for it.

My Mum will love it as she's never been good at cooking, but loves mine. She's already shown me a waitrose cake she wants me to copy.

DH always crosses the road when I go into cs. He was red faced the other day when we went out with his parents. I spotted a cs and MIL suggested we have a rummage :rotfl:
    Thanks to all the lovely people on here I have managed to cut my hours down to 2 days a week, allowing me to spend more time with my gorgeous Children. :j
  • GreenNinja
    Options
    LOL, I did feel "slightly" embarrassed in September when b/f and I took our leftover pizza from pizza hut trip the evening before (half price voucher from this site was used!) to the airport with us when we went on holiday. Went into pret a manger at the airport, bought 2 hot drinks, sat in a corner and sneakily brought out the leftover pizza! the snooty lady on the table opposite was not impressed I could see. Managed to get away with it though!
    Recently plucked up the courage to ask my neighbour if we could have her empty jam jars (she uses the posh ones, with the checked effect lids) apparently she gets through one jar a week so I have asked for the jars in exchange for home made jam (made from copious amounts of blackberries picked earlier this year)... so next summer should have a stash of lovely jars in which to put my home made jams and chutneys which my Mum sells for me at the local chuch companions club!
    Another recent foray which could have been embarrassing, on our dog walks we pass a boarded up house with a huge garden and beautiful apple tree, we managed to bypass the locked gate and shook the tree to get the best apples from it!
  • 415SanFran
    Options
    Gosh yes I would have taken the cheese for my sister.
    My boyfriend was going to thow away a stack of food to make room for a turkey about a month ago, I was almost in tears at the thought, he pointed out that I don't eat meat so it was no good for me, however my sister lives on benefits with her three young children, she cried when she saw all the stuff that he was about to just chuck.

But this made me remember the way my family used to have a running joke that whatever we got for christmas she would have won on the Bingo, in those days you got points and they could be saved up to by cheap pans sets and the like.......
    Ebay 13 ;)........1583.46/2000.00 Amazon sales 54/50 Etsy sales 63/50
    Amazon 14.......4/50 Etsy14............46/75. Ebay........23/200
  • ellie14
    ellie14 Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I do a circle of supermarkets after dropping D/D at school and only buy whats on offer or whoopsies .My friends all think its not the done thing! do I care no and would you believe they have less than me because I am money saving with everything.We eat good nutricious food,have cheap house and car insurance all taken from mse and a cruise if we are lucky from being sensible with money, and not a supermarket snob I love netto lidl aldi.and not afraid to pick up a bargain.
  • ThinkingOfLinking
    Options
    I love being frugal. I'm taking someone out for a very posh lunch next month, having got cheap Funfares on the coach trip and a massive discount off my 5* hotel through Lastminute.com secret hotels thing, and paying for our meals with Tesco Clubcard vouchers. Bein frugal means I can have nice hotels, wear nice clothes, travel around, eat nice food and splash out on those things I really want.

The amount of people I see at the Whoopsie sections of the supermarket or checking out the £1/BOGOF shelves Tesco have a lot of at the end of the aisles, shows me I'm not alone, so no need to be embarrassed. Same with using coupons.

I use a slow cooker, bulk cook meals and freeze portions too meaning I have "ready meals" which are healthy and cheap.

This site is my bible, and I've just bought a much needed winter coat at a discounted price, got some new Ugg boots for £50 off, and saved £30 on a new Coast top for work; basically saved £100 on items I need and will wear a LOT for work, and that's just in one week and a small example.

I actually find it strange paying full price for anything any more. I don't care what others think; I know that I'm able to afford a great lifestyle now, largely due to being frugal in other areas. I just splashed out almost £500 on a VIP concert package as a Christmas/Birthday gift to myself as a reward for being so good all year; something I couldn't have done wthout taking some packed lunches out with me, reading my magazines in Borders instead of buying them, etc etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure