Are you ever embarassed by your money-saving ways?

edited 17 November 2009 at 8:32PM in Old Style MoneySaving
297 replies 58.7K views

Replies

• Whatever happened to the student who made a drawer full of porridge (to last the whole term) and spent his grant on a hi-fi?

(apart from the obvious, scurvy!)
  • scatyscaty Forumite
    175 Posts
    Hi, skips are my magnet.
    I was embarrassed when I found a skip full of wood where I work and climbed in to get it. Forgot that the level went down as I chucked it out and got left in the skip!!

The one of the maintenance men came by and got me out - and became my skip buddy, telling me when wood was going in. He would make sure I had some. At the time it was not being recycled.

My girls walked off when I went into a skip in a city (did ask for permission) found a lovely print behind the licence and some old plates with nice patterns on them. The girls were not amused as I produced carrier bags from my handbag and asked them to help carry my booty.:p
    [STRIKE]Fed up of being kippered by kids - new resolve - the NO word. Still at this[/STRIKE] Dam they struck again!!
    Stay focused on the bigger plan - :rolleyes:
  • edited 18 November 2009 at 10:59AM
    redglass_2redglass_2 Forumite
    771 Posts
    edited 18 November 2009 at 10:59AM
    MrsE wrote: »
    Can we come a bit further south:confused:

I don't know what bait or snap is:confused:
    But judging by the context I'm guessing snack?

When I was a kid in Liverpool my dad had 'carryout' to take to work. Wonder how many more names there are?

Oh - forgot to say - a friend of mine ran away in embarrassment when I said I was going to request a discount in a Bristol store (I was buying an unusually large amount of something and thought it might be worth asking). In fact the assistant was really sweet and even apologised she couldn't give me more than 5%. I showed the till receipt with the discount on it to my embarrassed friend and she was amazed...I think she expected them to ring the police!
    'Whatever you dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin now.' Goethe

• FreyagirlFreyagirl Forumite
    76 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Switching down to value items where I can a lot of them are just as good although there are some which are not so good. Menu planning was a big one for me I plan my meals 2 weeks in advance thinking up meals made completely from scratch where I can. The freezer is also very useful. I also found the cheap meal ideas threads on here very useful and also invested in a slow cooker. Just for ideas this is my meal plan for the next 2 weeks using stuff bought and stuff from the cupboard:
    Soup and sandwiches
    leek and blue cheese bake
    ratatouille and goats cheese tart
    pasta and tomatoes
    Cauliflower cheese and mash
    chilli
    pizza and chips
    pasta and pesto
    baked potatoes
    Shropshire fidget pie (veggie)
    sausage casserole (veggie)
    chilli welsh rarebit
    egg and chips

Hi I'm veggie too and would love to see your recipe for Shropshire Fidget Pie, sounds intriguing.
  • Thanks for that drinkupretty :A it's definately going on my mealplan!
  • Muppet81Muppet81 Forumite
    949 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    And mine. Thanks :A
    Thank you for this site :jNow OH and I are both retired, MSE is a Godsend
  • zippychickzippychick Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    sure :) its my own variation on a recipe I found on the vegetarian society website.

ingredients:

Serves 4-6
    300g leeks (trimmed)
    2 baking potatoes peeled and cubed
    400ml light stock
    100ml single cream
    125g blue cheese
    Flour and butter for crumble topping

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Pre-heat oven to Gas 6/200C/400F[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]1. Add the chopped potatoes to a large saucepan with the stock, cream and mustard. Cook gently for until starting to soften. Then add the chopped leeks and keep cooking until the veggies are cooked[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]2. Transfer to a ceramic baking dish.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    3. Cut the blue cheese into small bits and scatter over the leek and potato mixture.
    4. Add the crumble topping to the top of the dish and place in the oven for 20 - 30 mins or until the crumble topping is golden in colour.
    Thanks Drinkuppretty, I have added this to the Complete Vegetarian Collection
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Steel_2Steel_2 Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    I don't get embarrassed any more - it's more important my mortgage and debts get paid off quickly.

I would have taken the cheese too - I carry a small sandwich bag in my handbag pocket for leftover food snaffling!

Also use any leftover little sachets of salts, pepper, mayo etc for when we go camping, although I don't/won't purposefully take more just to get extras.
    scaty wrote: »
    Hi, skips are my magnet.
    I was embarrassed when I found a skip full of wood where I work and climbed in to get it. Forgot that the level went down as I chucked it out and got left in the skip!!

The one of the maintenance men came by and got me out - and became my skip buddy, telling me when wood was going in. He would make sure I had some. At the time it was not being recycled

Me too! We got a huge amount of free wood from the skips when the local council was redoing the local tenants' front and back paths and gardens. The workman were happy because they were routinely outing half a skip's worth at a time so they didn't have to spend money on extra skips, and they even carried it all round the back of my house. Some of it is really good quality planks that are destined to be used for raised beds in the kitchen garden, the rest is cut up for firewood. A few weeks ago the foreman came back after the job had finished and asked to borrow a few planks back to finish off some path concreting somewhere else and he's promised to send his lads back with them and any waste wood from that job as well.

I know the neighbours were sniggering over it but guess what - it will be them complaining about the high price of their gas and electric bills come February not me, plus the fact I own my own house and they don't. How many times have I heard them lament about they couldn't afford to pay £500 for a mortgage every month (they pay currently £150 rent) then watch them drop £300 per child for Christmas (and that's not a joke) plus £1000 on new clothes for their annual summer holiday.

I'm proud of my penny-pinching ways.
    "carpe that diem"
  • QUOTE (then watch them drop £300 per child for Christmas (and that's not a joke) plus £1000 on new clothes for their annual summer holiday.)

Seriously people spend that much on new clothes for one holiday? I had a really good job paying a great salary before I came off to have children, but even when it was me and OH I NEVER spent that much - not even close - my bikinis came from Batalan every year!!! I never had it. I always prioritise bills, mortgage and other essentials - surely to spend that much they mustn't have any bills...?!
  • Steel_2Steel_2 Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    From what I can gather from a few garden fence chats, their bills are high, they spend all of their income on luxuries and take out loans and credit cards for new furniture and holidays etc.

The hubby is scared and his job is in peril at the moment but the wife refuses to make cut backs...
    "carpe that diem"
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides