Are you ever embarassed by your money-saving ways?

edited 17 November 2009 at 7:32PM in Old Style MoneySaving
297 replies 58.7K views

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am not embarrassed by it I am just impressed with how far I have come. 2 years ago I could spend £50 a week easy on food shopping for me and my other half. No idea now how I could have spent that much. Now I can spend just £15 on a weeks food shopping. Its an on going learning process.
  • leedleed Forumite
    181 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    I am not embarrassed by it I am just impressed with how far I have come. 2 years ago I could spend £50 a week easy on food shopping for me and my other half. No idea now how I could have spent that much. Now I can spend just £15 on a weeks food shopping. Its an on going learning process.

Well done - what is your secret? Please tell!
    0 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    leed wrote: »
    Well done - what is your secret? Please tell!

Switching down to value items where I can a lot of them are just as good although there are some which are not so good. Menu planning was a big one for me I plan my meals 2 weeks in advance thinking up meals made completely from scratch where I can. The freezer is also very useful. I also found the cheap meal ideas threads on here very useful and also invested in a slow cooker. Just for ideas this is my meal plan for the next 2 weeks using stuff bought and stuff from the cupboard:
    Soup and sandwiches
    leek and blue cheese bake
    ratatouille and goats cheese tart
    pasta and tomatoes
    Cauliflower cheese and mash
    chilli
    pizza and chips
    pasta and pesto
    baked potatoes
    Shropshire fidget pie (veggie)
    sausage casserole (veggie)
    chilli welsh rarebit
    egg and chips
  • meames_2meames_2 Forumite
    747 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    once some one had dumped a fire surround, unfortunatley there was a broken bit at the bottom, I did go bak a little later but some kids had smashed it up :-(
  • edited 17 November 2009 at 9:01PM
    SquirmySquirmy Forumite
    100 Posts
    edited 17 November 2009 at 9:01PM
    leek and blue cheese bake

Oooooo that sounds delicious! Would you mind sharing the recipe?? :)

I'm not embarrassed any more, similar to others Im just pleased with how much I save and am embarrassed at how much I used to spend (about £10 on food per day for just 2 of us! :eek::confused:)

My mum is quite thrifty and I used to be embarrassed when I was a kid that she bought value food and shopped in Lidl sometimes....now I know she was just being sensible! :rotfl:
  • edited 17 November 2009 at 9:12PM
    DianneBDianneB Forumite
    882 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 17 November 2009 at 9:12PM
    Squirmy beat me too it!! I'd love the recipe for that please it sounds delicious!!

Oops! meant to say I would have taken the cheese too, I can't be embarrassed by saving money although my husband has been known to disown me when I query a price or ask for a discount, he looks a bit uncomfortable in CS too so I tend to go on my own. If people ask me where my clothes are from I would generally say M&S, Next etc as that's what the label inside says!!
    Slightly bitter
  • GavB79GavB79 Forumite
    751 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    What is this "CS" people are referring to?
    0 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Squirmy wrote: »
    Oooooo that sounds delicious! Would you mind sharing the recipe?? :)

sure :) its my own variation on a recipe I found on the vegetarian society website.

ingredients:

Serves 4-6
    300g leeks (trimmed)
    2 baking potatoes peeled and cubed
    400ml light stock
    100ml single cream
    125g blue cheese
    Flour and butter for crumble topping

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Pre-heat oven to Gas 6/200C/400F[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]1. Add the chopped potatoes to a large saucepan with the stock, cream and mustard. Cook gently for until starting to soften. Then add the chopped leeks and keep cooking until the veggies are cooked
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]2. Transfer to a ceramic baking dish.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    3. Cut the blue cheese into small bits and scatter over the leek and potato mixture.
    4. Add the crumble topping to the top of the dish and place in the oven for 20 - 30 mins or until the crumble topping is golden in colour.
  • piglet6piglet6 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    GavB79 wrote: »
    What is this "CS" people are referring to?

I'm pretty sure CS = Charity Shop(s).

:D
  • babyshoesbabyshoes Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    It has become a bit of a joke at work about me shopping at Poundland, 99p shops, Wilkos etc. I often pick up things we need for work and put them on petty cash, because they are cheaper there than in the 'official' catalogue! I think I am slowly converting people though, as sometimes they are amazed at the bargains I manage to find - sometimes they even ask me to look for things they want...

One thing that amazes me is when our students insist on wearing 'brand name' clothes. I understand that it is the fashion, but one of them won't even wear things like socks or underpants that are un-branded! I just don't understand the logic of paying a big company to advertise their products for them... They don't listen to that argument though, and a discussion of charity shops elicits words like 'tramp' 'dirty' etc. I just don't get it! (my goodness I sound old -I am not even 30 yet!)
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Martin's debt costs masterclass

Eg, balance transfer up to 35 mths at 0%

MSE News

£80 GHD Original IV Styler

Via MSE Blagged code (norm £109)

MSE Deals