Advice please

Options
Managed to get myself on track a bit since last time I was here. I've still got a pesky £1000 on my credit card (0%) which I can't shift and my boyfriend has just moved in and is paying £400pm 'rent' towards household bills etc so think it's a good time to review my current situation.

Oh, should probably mention I also have the worlds most expensive hobby (riding) with a pet horse + dog who manage to keep my savings account sparse.

I've just had to switch my energy as my current offer is ending and so I've added the new dual fuel rate under electricity. My council tax bill has just gone up due to boyf moving in. Mobile phone is high I know but stuck in contract until next year and need lots of data as travel a lot and use it for satnav. I probably spend more £ on groceries, but am attempting to budget to keep it low. I also probably spend more cash than in the budget for clothes but this is something I am cutting down on. Pet insurance is for horse and a healthy pet plan for dog. Should really get insurance for dog too! I know i probably need contents insurance. Debating if I need life insurance due to mortgage? Am 26 & fit and healthy. Recently cut down on hair budget, cutting out my blonde highlights every 6 weeks and just opting of a haircut every quarter.

Any advice on where to trim or anything I should add would be very appreciated!!

Household Information
Number of adults in household........... 2
Number of children in household......... 0
Number of cars owned.................... 1

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 1710
Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
Benefits................................ 0
Other income............................ 400
Total monthly income.................... 2110

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 506
Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
Rent.................................... 0
Management charge (leasehold property).. 30
Council tax............................. 156
Electricity............................. 55
Gas..................................... 0
Oil..................................... 0
Water rates............................. 20
Telephone (land line)................... 0
Mobile phone............................ 41.44
TV Licence.............................. 12.37
Satellite/Cable TV...................... 0
Internet Services....................... 21
Groceries etc. ......................... 100
Clothing................................ 25
Petrol/diesel........................... 120
Road tax................................ 0
Car Insurance........................... 45
Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 20
Car parking............................. 10
Other travel............................ 0
Childcare/nursery....................... 0
Other child related expenses............ 0
Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 15
Pet insurance/vet bills................. 47
Buildings insurance..................... 7
Contents insurance...................... 0
Life assurance ......................... 0
Other insurance......................... 0
Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 40
Haircuts................................ 5
Entertainment........................... 150
Holiday................................. 100
Emergency fund.......................... 50
Dog..................................... 125
Horse................................... 350
Total monthly expenses.................. 2050.81

Assets

Cash.................................... 0
House value (Gross)..................... 210000
Shares and bonds........................ 0
Car(s).................................. 5000
Other assets............................ 0
Total Assets............................ 215000

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
Mortgage...................... 122500...(506)......1.68
Total secured & HP debts...... 122500....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
Tesco Credit Card..............1000......20........0
Total unsecured debts..........1000......20........-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 2,110
Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 2,050.81
Available for debt repayments........... 59.19
Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 20
Amount left after debt repayments....... 39.19

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
Total assets (things you own)........... 215,000
Total HP & Secured debt................. -122,500
Total Unsecured debt.................... -1,000
Net Assets.............................. 91,500

Comments

• SophieLoui23
    SophieLoui23 Posts: 198 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Should mention, the boyf and I keep our money separate hence he pays me rent and the groceries etc on the SOA are for my share.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well your horse expenditure doesn't look too bad. I do think £125 on the dog is a lot. Could you swap dog food? You spend more on the dog than your own groceries according to this.
    I don't see any over the top expenditure. I think as a young person you are doing well. You don't have stacks of debt and you have your own place and a horse and are still managing to pay the bills and budget for holidays and entertainment.
    Hopefully over time your income will rise and things will get easier that's just normal.
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Can someone share the horse with you? Might be a saving there if they can.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi SophieLou,

I would agree that the expenses for the dog seem high, even with food and essentials (such as flea treatment, worming tablets, boosters etc), perhaps there is a saving here. You can also consider saving less to holidays (if you haven't booked anything yet) and/or entertainment. This could be a temporary cut back to help clear the card quicker and then you can go back to what you are doing.

I agree that you are doing very well. You have a healthy budget and minimal debt. You can consider life and contents insurance, and that shouldn't be too expensive either.

Another way to approach this would be to check when the interest free period ends, and aim to clear it within that time. So, if there are 18 months left, you would need to pay £55 per month to clear it before any interest is added. Just make sure you don't use the card anymore. Good luck,

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't mean to disrepectful and I know that once you become a 'horsey person', it's difficult to give up...but I would say on your wages you cannot afford that kind of hobby.

Have you thought about sharing a horse? Nearly one-third of your wages is going on keeping an animal...

What happens if it's hurt or you need urgent medical assistance. What happens if your insurer doesn't pay up? One disaster could spell real trouble on that wage.

Would you consider spending £6k a year on a classic car on your wage? Something that could cost you thousands at any moment...
  • Marissa_Brown
    Options
    Hi. My first time on here and struggling to find out how to post?!? I need advice on a mis-sold holiday by TUI. I would appreciate it if someone can tell me how to post it relevantly !!!55357;!!!56833;
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi. My first time on here and struggling to find out how to post?!? I need advice on a mis-sold holiday by TUI. I would appreciate it if someone can tell me how to post it relevantly !!!55357;!!!56833;

This link will take you to the Overseas Holidays and Travel Planning board - click on New Thread at the top of the page (below the sub-boards) and start a new thread.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi SophieLoui,

Your budget is workable with a few tweaks.

Sharing the horse is good suggestion above and also to cut down on the dog spend, change food etc.
    You have an entry for an Emergency fund, yet no cash below - is this a new entry? If not, where has it gone?
    Yes, you need contents insurance. Just basic cover will be sufficient so if the worse happens you've got something in place to replenish all the furniture within the house.
    Changing your council tax to payments over 12 months instead of the standard 10 would give you some wiggle room to get the contents ins.
    Have you got £39.19 left each month - throw it at the debt if you have, keep a spending diary if you haven't ;)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    A couple of things spring to mind ...

Emergency fund.......................... 50
    Assets
    Cash.................................... 0
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 39.19

So according to your SoA you have £89.19 left at the end of every month. Which you clearly don't otherwise you would have a figure in your assets for cash.
    So is your SoA actually correct or what you wish it to be? I think you need to start a proper spending diary to figure out why you don't have that money left at the end of the month.
    In theory with that spare cash you could clear your credit card in 10 months.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport