Flight delay and cancellation compensation, KLM/AF ONLY

Options

Comments

• srisport
    srisport Posts: 198 Forumite
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    there should be some sort of escalation time on Resolver but you can claim direct with KLM using the information on their website
    https://www.klm.com/travel/gb_en/customer_support/customer_support/refunds_and_compensation/applying_for_a_refund.htm

Ok, Thank you for your help.

Regards.
  • GuyfromHarlem
    Options
    Earlier this year my KLM flight home was cancelled for technical reasons. I was rebooked the following morning and that flight ended up being delayed for 4 hours, also due to a technical issue. Not sure whether this counts as one or two claims and the regulations don't seem to specify. Anybody knows? Thanks.

Just wanted to update my case. They took more than a month to get back to me but KLM has agreed to pay compensation for both the cancelled and the delayed flight. Thanks for everyones comments.
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just wanted to update my case. They took more than a month to get back to me but KLM has agreed to pay compensation for both the cancelled and the delayed flight. Thanks for everyones comments.

Wow - so you got two lots of compensation, despite only paying for one set of tickets (the original one that got cancelled). That's a great result - and not really what the airline has to do. But well done - quite a lucrative delay for you!
  • OohSoHolly
    OohSoHolly Posts: 358 Forumite
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Looking for a bit of advice. Me and my partner have just had our first holiday abroad for about 10 years so already airline newbies. We have just had our flight cancelled back home by Air France due to Hop! Airline pilots going on strike. I've called today and their offer was for a flight earlier on Friday which I said we couldn't make as we wouldn't be able to get there in time as we are currently two hours from the airport and it would involve us cutting our holiday short and leaving in the early hours of tomorrow to get to the airport. Air France weren't bothered by this and basically said take it or leave it. In the end we've taken a transfer to a flight on Saturday but this now puts us out of pocket as we're having to now pay for an additional nights accommodation! When I asked if they would pay for this she just chimed that they were reservations and couldn't authorise this I'd have to go through compensations?

Do I have any chance of recovering the £110 we've had to fork out for this additional night?

I'm really new at this flying thing so feel a little out of my depth!

• JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    AF are responsible for your accommodation costs, extra food and drink (non alcohol) and compensation of 250Euro per fare paying passenger if your flight is within the next 14 days. Download Vauban's guide (google) to get a full explanation and guide to claiming.
    Did AF give you a letter with your rights afforded under regulation 261/2004? No, I guess not.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OohSoHolly wrote: »
    Hello Everyone,

Looking for a bit of advice. Me and my partner have just had our first holiday abroad for about 10 years so already airline newbies. We have just had our flight cancelled back home by Air France due to Hop! Airline pilots going on strike. I've called today and their offer was for a flight earlier on Friday which I said we couldn't make as we wouldn't be able to get there in time as we are currently two hours from the airport and it would involve us cutting our holiday short and leaving in the early hours of tomorrow to get to the airport. Air France weren't bothered by this and basically said take it or leave it. In the end we've taken a transfer to a flight on Saturday but this now puts us out of pocket as we're having to now pay for an additional nights accommodation! When I asked if they would pay for this she just chimed that they were reservations and couldn't authorise this I'd have to go through compensations?

Do I have any chance of recovering the £110 we've had to fork out for this additional night?

I'm really new at this flying thing so feel a little out of my depth!

Most importantly, keep receipts for any additional costs you have incurred, soft drinks only tho, they will not pay alcohol bills.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • OohSoHolly
    OohSoHolly Posts: 358 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your responses. That's great, I'll make sure I keep all our receipts/email confirmations for the costs incurred and will contact their customer service team up on our return. The ironic thing is the return flight is through Hop! so I just hope that one doesn't end up getting cancelled!!

Many Thanks
  • joshuawood
    Options
    Hi, I had a flight delay from Amsterdam to Heathrow on the 14th of June. I applied for compensation and received an electronic EMD voucher on the 5th July. I immediately submitted a refund request asking for a cash refund. I haven't heard from KLM since, does anyone know how long it typically takes for them to pay the compensation after submitting the refund request?
  • mysysteme
    mysysteme Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 20 July 2017 at 10:24AM
    Options
    Most relevant forum ever!! Read through the heaps of info (FAQ and posts) and ready to send a chaser to KLM after my reply to their 1st refusal of compensation.

I think my case checks all the boxes (connecting flight via AMS operated by KLM in one ticket, arriving in UK 11h45m late, 3500km+ from HKG), reason was a 2h tyre change met with another 3.5 hrs ATC afterwards - according to pilot's announcement. The 2hr would mean missing the connecting flight anyway, which was the last flight on that day to my final destination, i.e. ATC or not I would have been 11h45m late.

KLM's first refusal was citing EC and ATC as expected, so again the arguement is around whether KLM can invoke EC for the tyre change. Ready to cite "Huzar v Jet2'; 'Van der Lans v KLM' (and Folkerts re connection) in the LBA I should soon draft.

My question to the experts here though - I read about the Retail Ombudsman (as ADR of KLM), but saw that they *just* 'lost their title' in July 2017 (wikipedia).
    Was it the right direction to go after the LBA anyway?
    I do not understand what this 'loss of title' means, and the impact it has on my request.

Appreciate any insight!! :)
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    joshuawood wrote: »
    Hi, I had a flight delay from Amsterdam to Heathrow on the 14th of June. I applied for compensation and received an electronic EMD voucher on the 5th July. I immediately submitted a refund request asking for a cash refund. I haven't heard from KLM since, does anyone know how long it typically takes for them to pay the compensation after submitting the refund request?
    Forever if you let them string you along. Send another letter marking it as an NBA, give 14 days for payment , then time for legal action to be taken.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family