“Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.”

Comments

• jwil
    jwil Posts: 18,725
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Glad the work is being done now ahead of winter. I know it doesn't help with everything else going on though!

Hope your anxiety settles a bit soon, you are handling everything really well. x
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • What a relief to have it all sorted before winter - you need that ceiling to be dry and the house to be reliably warm enough. The last thing you need is mould or damp related health issues after everything you have been through. No matter if your floor suffers a bit - that is a short term thing. The peace of mind of that roof and that boiler being sorted will be brilliant. It's amazing what a rug can cover!
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 16.02% spent or £480.73/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Morning

Radiators are in. Some of the pipework done. Boiler is going in and it being finished today.

Every room they've been in needs the paint doing. They did save the carpets upstairs and rolled them back neatly so that's a relief. The boilers been resited from one place upstairs to another. So they've got to cut through the roof etc today and block up the old flu in the roof. The ceiling where the previous leak was has been pulled down and left to dry why the flat roof is replaced this week. The wooden flooring wasn't as lucky downstairs. They've removed all the hallway as that's where the leak was and that's now where the most changes have happened to the radiators. The living room floor is gone most of the way and the kitchen has gone in 3 places where the old radiators come out and then where the two new have gone in. The new radiators are totally different to the old and look a lot better and are double the thickness!

What a huge mess though. It makes me sad :o I mean it wasn't perfect before but I spent ages over a long time to get it where it was.

We are still getting the packing done for DS residential and we have a high school visit this week. Older DD IS streaming with a cold so trying to keep her and youngest away from each other :rotfl:

Still no financial update. The budget was blown in the first few days and it's just damage limitation until the 25th.

Hope you all have a happy Sunday

X
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • Morning Wannabe. I haven't logged in or posted for a while bug I have been reading.
    Hope the boiler is finished soon and you can start on the mess.
    Hope Dd new meds are helping.
    Just been reading about your payments and waiting until the 25th and just wondered if you were getting child benefit in between? I'm sure it isn't included in the UC.
    Also wondering if it would be worth speaking to someone about Dd claim. Would it be better to put in a new claim while your waiting or would that cancel out the first cos if so it's a lot of back pay to lose (just think how nice that lump sum will be when/if it arrives! You'll be able to enjoy a worry free holiday!).
    Right I better go tidy up before my shopping arrives. Have a good day x
    LBM in April 17 - £14998/£33554 (44.6%) paid. Mortgage@1 June 18 = £9935/£76350 paid.Total debt @june 18 £102311 now £84972GC Jan £40.99/£500 2021 declutter 85/2021 items 0/20 bags clothes
  • Oh no. I was hoping the mess would be minimal. Our boiler and radiators (except for one) were all sited in the same place so apart from the wooden flooring in the hall upstairs it was only a little bit of painting, On the plus side it will be warmer and I've found that the new system is much more efficient so the bills have come down.

Hope the wee one's cold clears up quickly. xx
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • milann
    milann Posts: 10,495
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It sounds like some tough decisions need to be made about youngest - all you can do is listen to the he doctors and make the best choice you can....but once you’ve made it no going back saying ‘ IF’ you’ll have made the best decision you could at the time with the information available...are there any charities for her condition which could put you in touch with other parents of children that you could talk to?
    I’m pleased the heating is being sorted for you - as somebody else mentioned it should be cheaper to run for you.
    January spends - £587.58
  • milann wrote: »
    once you’ve made it no going back saying ‘ IF’ you’ll have made the best decision you could at the time with the information available...

Milann, I couldn't agree more. You can only make the best decision you can based on what you know or feel now, and remember that if something that seems contradictory comes up later.

Wannabe, I'm glad the damaging part of the replacements is behind you. As you say, it's heart breaking when hard work gets spoiled, though there will be a lot less to do to put it right than if you had never done the work in the first place. New and better boiler and radiators have to be good in the long run.

Hope DS loves his residential!
    Fashion on the Ration challenge: 20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22Toiletries used up 27/188.
  • Are there any grants you can apply for to help with redecoration/flooring costs? Like from the Family Fund maybe? https://www.familyfund.org.uk/pages/category/using-your-grant
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,030
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Glad the new heating has been sorted out so quickly and well before the cold weather sets in. You’ll notice the difference in bills and efficiency. Shame it spoiled the hard work you did on decorating and carpets though.

Hope you come to the right decision for the little one’s meds xx
    Christmas Savings 2024 £218.29/£600 March NSD:3 March Surveys £
  • Evening

Thank you

It's all in and working. There seems to be dust everywhere! So have lots to keep me busy.

Youngests decisions are hard and kind of quality or quality of time kind of thing. For now we are sticking it out. Another review on the 16th October just before we go away. Will consider again then taking into consideration how well they are/have improved things. So far though I'm happy they are have made a drastic improvement for the now.

Anyway
    Sunday happenings. We've played outside all day as we've had no water on and things. It's just started raining so they are all having early baths and pjs then we can read/watch a movie before bedtime.

Hope you've all had a good weekend

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback