Talkmobile PAYG closing down

Options

Comments

• gwapenut
    gwapenut Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you seen voda's PAYG rates? I think that's called throwing good money after bad! Unless you have £50 worth of google play or PSN that you want to buy via carrier billing ...!
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is it worth moving to Lebara Mobile, or are they likely to close down too?

It seems Vodafone want to stop mvno's on their network.
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    ripplyuk wrote: »
    Is it worth moving to Lebara Mobile, or are they likely to close down too? .

Any of these type of networks can close so it's hard to judge
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Lebara is one of the original MVNOs, been going strong for many years in various countries, but prices are not attractive.

Lyca Mobile (on O2) is similarly long-standing in several countries and has recently introduced some quite attractive 30-day bundles:

http://www.lycamobile.co.uk/en/
    Evolution, not revolution
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »
    Lebara is one of the original MVNOs, been going strong for many years in various countries, but prices are not attractive.

Unfortunately, I'm stuck because the Vodafone network is the only one that gets a good signal. Lebara's prices are high, but Vodafone's are even worse and I can't imagine any company having worse customer service than them.
  • Patrick_Stewart
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »

Lyca Mobile (on O2) is similarly long-standing in several countries and has recently introduced some quite attractive 30-day bundles:

Be careful with Lycamobile ! they have numbers which get charged very highly when people try to call you on them.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Be careful with Lycamobile ! they have numbers which get charged very highly when people try to call you on them.

Do you have a link?

I'm pretty sure that was resolved back when EE were still called T-Mobile (the disagreement was between T-Mobile and Lyca).
    ====
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

It seems Vodafone want to stop mvno's on their network.

Talkmobile isn't an MVNO now, but a brand owned by Vodafone. You're right in that Vodafone have few MVNO's using their platform and I suspect they have no interest in this market which is dominated by BT Mobile (through EE), though 3UK has a small presence.
  • itsj2
    itsj2 Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I still haven't had the SMS from TalkMobile alerting me to all this. When I 'phoned them to query this all they said was that they are sending out 1,000 x SMS messages per day.

I need the SMS so that I will get the PAC code to enable me to transfer elsewhere. Will transfer my smallish balance to a charity.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    itsj2 wrote: »
    I still haven't had the SMS from TalkMobile alerting me to all this. When I 'phoned them to query this all they said was that they are sending out 1,000 x SMS messages per day.

I need the SMS so that I will get the PAC code to enable me to transfer elsewhere. Will transfer my smallish balance to a charity.

You don't need an SMS to get a PAC code, just ask for a PAC code.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure