Back to 60's Judicial Review Outcome

Options

Comments

• Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Slightly off piste, but I have never been able to understand why the £200 per year winter fuel allowance is automatically issued to all those in receipt of the State pension. In our case, we give £100 each to family members who need it more than we do.

because stopping it would generate outrage & means testing it would be an admin nightmare.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Andy_L wrote: »
    because stopping it would generate outrage & means testing it would be an admin nightmare.

Sadly, you're right. What does annoy me is the fact that it is 'the policy' to pay this in time for Christmas - as if it is expected that most people will spend it on booze and presents rather than their winter fuel bills in Jan/Feb.
  • nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I agree - but I suspect that it would be too difficult to target just those in need. Perhaps as it would have to be claimed, those with a conscience wouldn't partake - but of course we are talking Diane Abbott, Cherie Blair here.

Slightly off piste, but I have never been able to understand why the £200 per year winter fuel allowance is automatically issued to all those in receipt of the State pension. In our case, we give £100 each to family members who need it more than we do.
    Don't forget the £10 Xmas bonus that has stayed at the same level since it was first paid in the early 1970s when the average wage was about £30. It's a shame it's not been index-linked.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Options
    nigelbb wrote: »
    Don't forget the £10 Xmas bonus that has stayed at the same level since it was first paid in the early 1970s when the average wage was about £30. It's a shame it's not been index-linked.

What is the £10 bonus? not that we get it or need it,we do get the £200 winter fuel payment.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    edited 13 December 2019 at 4:36PM
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »
    What is the £10 bonus?
    https://www.gov.uk/christmas-bonus/eligibility
    Eligibility

To get a Christmas Bonus you must be present or ‘ordinarily resident’ in the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man, Gibraltar, any European Economic Area (EEA) country, or Switzerland during the qualifying week.
    You must also get at least one of the following benefits in the ‘qualifying week’ - this is normally the first full week of December:
    • Armed Forces Independence Payment
    • Attendance Allowance
    • Carer’s Allowance
    • Constant Attendance Allowance (paid under Industrial Injuries or War Pensions schemes)
    • Contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance (once the main phase of the benefit is entered after the first 13 weeks of claim)
    • Disability Living Allowance
    • Incapacity Benefit at the long-term rate
    • Industrial Death Benefit (for widows or widowers)
    • Mobility Supplement
    • Pension Credit - the guarantee element
    • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
    • State Pension (including Graduated Retirement Benefit)
    • Severe Disablement Allowance (transitionally protected)
    • Unemployability Supplement or Allowance (paid under Industrial Injuries or War Pensions schemes)
    • War Disablement Pension at State Pension age
    • War Widow’s Pension
    • Widowed Mother’s Allowance
    • Widowed Parent’s Allowance
    • Widow’s Pension
    If you haven’t claimed your State Pension and aren’t entitled to one of the other qualifying benefits you won’t get a Christmas Bonus

Ganga wrote: »
    not that we get it or need it,we do get the £200 winter fuel payment.

Are you sure you don't get it?
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »

Are you sure you don't get it?

It will just appear as a £10 payment to the same bank account used for your State pension.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options

It will just appear as a £10 payment to the same bank account used for your State pension.

I know, that's why I asked if he was sure he wasn't getting it.
    Easily missed if you don't check your statements often & thoroughly.
    Apologies for the quote !!!!-up in my post. :o
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Options

You are correct,i have just looked at our joint current account and there was a payment of £10 paid in the first week of December,i presume it is paid per household rather than each pensioner,in fairness and without being flipant it is such a small amount the goverment would be better off giving it to the NHS :(
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • DairyQueen
    DairyQueen Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    Options
    nigelbb wrote: »
    Shame Corbyn didn't add this to the great Labour Giveaway manifesto - back-dated natch. I'm sure that all those younger, working taxpayers would love the opportunity to fund this for you. :wall:
  • JezR
    JezR Posts: 1,697 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The £10 Christmas bonus was introduced at a time when benefits including pensions did not have any automatic uprating and rose (or not) on an ad hoc basis. The Wilson administration didn't pay it for two years, on the basis they had instead increased & broadened benefits paid all year, and only resumed it as they kept being asked about it in the months leading up to Christmas. Every government since has paid it but not considered uprating it on the same basis as Wilson.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback