Back to 60's Judicial Review Outcome

Options

Comments

• Triumph13
    Triumph13 Posts: 1,740 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Malthusian wrote: »
    It's you that doesn't comprehend the fundamental issue. If you can smelt steel in a backyard furnace then your partner can be born in the 1950s.

Why do you think your partner wasn't born in the 1950s? Because the calendar says so? And who invented the Gregorian calendar? That's right, a man. The clue's in the name. The women of the world will not be oppressed by capitalist timekeeping.

Why must you pollute your partner's head with Tory lies and propaganda?

Sorry Malthusian. It looks like I'm the only one who got the joke!
  • PuzzledDave
    Options
    Labours 2019 manifesto:

"Labour is committed to reforming the Gender Recognition Act 2004 to introduce self-declaration for transgender people"

I'd be interested to know if Labour will offer the pensions bung to self identified women who fall in that age range.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,961 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    From what you say the leaflet seems to (more or less) accurately describe what labour are supposedly promising (unless you mean that going by their WASPI compensation calculator they are using the term 'women born in the 1950's' as shorthand for 'women born between 6/4/1950 and 5/4/1960 ? WASPI themselves tend to conflate the two)

For WASPI, "1950s" means "1950s". Note that a few 1950s born women still got their State Pension at 60 (those born before April 1950). This is why the WASPI ask continues "and affected by the changes to the State Pension Age". Labour's proposal is significantly less than what WASPI demand and WASPI are conflicted over whether to accept it.
    WASPI wrote:
    WASPI ask the Government to put all women born in the 50s, or after 6th April 1951 and affected by the changes to the state pension age in the same financial position they would have been in had they been born on or before 5th April 1950

(The last part means "State Pension at age 60 with backdating".)

I have a vague memory they might have expanded from "born in the 50s" to 6 April 1960 but it makes little difference (and the six year cliff edge remains). The point is that WASPI have never watered down their proposal to include a tapering off to 1960 birthdates. That's all Labour's idea.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,841 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am prepared to bet that when this actually happens (well doesn't happen really) someone will hit the OMG button & realise that it just can not happen. Just imagine all the screams about equality, at the very least 2 court cases. Absolute nightmare! They obviously don't have any accountants or even bookkeepers advising them.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,721 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    badmemory wrote: »
    I am prepared to bet that when this actually happens (well doesn't happen really) someone will hit the OMG button & realise that it just can not happen. Just imagine all the screams about equality, at the very least 2 court cases.
    Absolute nightmare! They obviously don't have any accountants or even bookkeepers advising them.
    Maybe they've left the numbers to Diane Abbott...:eek: :whistle:
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Must be the end for WASPI now surely.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Aren't the Backto60 group still clinging on with the court appeal?
  • Silvertabby
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Aren't the Backto60 group still clinging on with the court appeal?

I'm 50/50. Either they will get some form of compensation (not a back dated pension) for not being given 10 years notice of the 2011 increase (I had 10 years notice, having been born in 1956 - so we are only talking about the 1950s ladies who were born before me).

Or they won't get anything.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    I'm 50/50. Either they will get some form of compensation (not a back dated pension) for not being given 10 years notice of the 2011 increase (I had 10 years notice, having been born in 1956 - so we are only talking about the 1950s ladies who were born before me).

Or they won't get anything.
    I had my letter in January 2012.
    My original (post 1995) state pension age was April 2017 (born October 1953).
    Put back to July 2018.
    So I had 5 years and 3 months notice.

I still don't agree that any compensation should be paid willy-nilly to all affected women.
    Diane Abbott, for example.
    And anybody else who is not in financial need (I include myself in that :)).
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,043 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 13 December 2019 at 1:26PM
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I had my letter in January 2012.
    My original (post 1995) state pension age was April 2017 (born October 1953).
    Put back to July 2018.
    So I had 5 years and 3 months notice.

I still don't agree that any compensation should be paid willy-nilly to all affected women.
    Diane Abbott, for example.
    And anybody else who is not in financial need (I include myself in that :)).

I agree - but I suspect that it would be too difficult to target just those in need. Perhaps as it would have to be claimed, those with a conscience wouldn't partake - but of course we are talking Diane Abbott, Cherie Blair here.

Slightly off piste, but I have never been able to understand why the £200 per year winter fuel allowance is automatically issued to all those in receipt of the State pension. In our case, we give £100 each to family members who need it more than we do.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback