BT Low User Scheme & Internet

Options
My mum and dad are on a Low User Scheme with Bt where they are charged cheaper line rental because they hardly use the phone (its a holiday flat). I have a laptop and I installed dial up internet access via Tesco which is great for them to use at the flat. However when I phoned BT they said I would not be allowed to use this (because usage would go up) and they would have to upgrade to normal line rental. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get round this? I even thought about broadband but would BT say the same about that. Unfortunately when I phoned BT the chap wasnt really interested.

Bella 100 :xmassign:

Comments

• djohn2002uk
    djohn2002uk Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    The same goes for broadband and even if they have a mobile. I think BTs attitude is that if you can afford internet access and/or a mobile then you can afford the full line rental etc.
  • WelshTust
    Options
    I've got Light User and BT Broadband, didn't have any problems, did have BT internet via freephone number before broadband, so it can be done, I know I can't use any low cost call routing.
    Mobile Phone Retailer, Unlock and Repair.
  • ajay73
    ajay73 Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    WelshTust wrote:
    I've got Light User and BT Broadband, didn't have any problems, did have BT internet via freephone number before broadband, so it can be done, I know I can't use any low cost call routing.

I have Light User too but the can't hear much on the line, I 've just kept it because its cheap to maintain £3/£4 a month. But I was told that I would have to upgrade to a normal line for me to have broadband by BT, so could you please tell me how seemed to have achived this feat. :rudolf:
  • skipton
    skipton Posts: 676 Forumite
    Options
    BT sent me a letter asking if I wanted to go on their light user scheme - ring for further details! I then rang and was told as I had broadband I wasn't eligible for the scheme after all.
  • Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    Options
    I'm on the Light User scheme and have broadband and know of other users on this site who do too!!!! :confused:
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• elvis_bloggs
    Options
    I'm on the Light User Scheme, I was on it before I went on the internet I went on dial up and then changed to broadband. In fact I rang them and asked if I could still stay with the Light User Scheme if I went on the internet and they said it would be ok, that was 3 years ago so things may have changed but it has never been questioned since.
  • Bella100
    Options
    Went in BT site to see if I could try the broadband route and this is what it popperd up with:

Note: Our Records indicate that you have a product or service supplied to this line that is currently incompatible with broadband. You will need to have the product or service ceased before broadband could be provided. If you place an order before the incompatible product or service has been ceased then the order will be rejected.

Looks like they are blocking the light users - maybe will try the dial up free phone number.
  • bunking_off
    Options
    From BT's website (just search on "light user scheme" from https://www.bt.com) :

Your household is not eligible for the Light User Scheme if you have:
    a telephone service provided by another supplier, either directly or indirectly
    mobile telephone service
    more than one telephone line at the same or different address, for example at a holiday home
    a broadband (ADSL) line
    a line used exclusively for a burglar alarm (this does not include 'lifeline' alarm systems which are also used as telephones)
    an ISDN line or business lines
    a payphone line, residential BT rented cardphone or temporary line
    a line with incoming calls barred (i.e. your line only allows outgoing calls)
    an incoming line only because you owe money to BT
    BT Pay & Call

...obviously it sounds like a few people are getting away with having broadband and LUS, but I wouldn't count on being able to do so.
    I really must stop loafing and get back to work...
  • Paul_VW
    Paul_VW Posts: 131 Forumite
    Options
    well I think the low user sceme is twisted - BT are rewarding people that give them less custom!!!!
  • iceburn
    iceburn Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I think Paul it not twisted more they have to provide it under OFCOM rules, just like they have to provide access to 18866, 1899, onetel etc.. I think they even ask to remove light user scheme but OFCOM told them they can't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure