PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Options

Comments

• kk235b
    kk235b Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Hello,

I've been lurking for a while and it's been so helpful to see everyone's various struggles and successes!

My purchase has gotten held up at the last minute so I'm super stressed out - offer was accepted (I'm a FTB), searches completed, contracts signed, surveyor report concluded nothing majorly amiss. Made offer mid-Dec 17, got the ball rolling with searches etc early Jan). I had asked for an exchange/completion of end of March. Didn't hear anything for weeks, then about a week before I was hoping to exchange, I got an email from my solicitor to say the seller, who had promised all along they'd been intending to break the chain, had decided to buy a place after all.

The frustrating thing is the total lack of communication, and the fact that the seller and their solicitors are ignoring the EA and my solicitors' repeated requests for even a ballpark exchange date. I had to move out of my rental yesterday as my lease was up, put all my stuff into storage, and move in with a friend temporarily. All I need is a date to work towards and I'll be fine, but not knowing what to do (if it's going to be another month, fine, but if it's going to be another 3 months I can't stay with my friend that long so will need to seek out an alternative, or reconsider the purchase, etc).

I feel churlish complaining because I've had a very easy ride so far, the EA and my solicitor and my surveyor have all been excellent, and I know that these things happen, and I had been prepared for disappointment, but it's still making me a bit despondent and I'm anxiously checking phone and emails every 5 minutes.
  • Tootling
    Tootling Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Still no news. Nothing. !!!! all.

Kk235b, solicitors and estate agents I think don't really like to give back park figures about when completion or exchange likely. We thought we were ready to exchange mid march too and were still just waiting.

I mean, you know that stuff like this happens, you just hope it doesn't happen to you. And it seems that some people are just plain selfish and don't care who up or down the chain has to go through.

We kinda had what happened to you, thought someone was going to be the break in the chain and then they weren't. And now we are stuck living at a friend's kinda, and it can't go on forever.

I can understand people not wanting to go into rental if they don't have to, and it's hard to get a short term rental especially. But a bit of honesty goes a long way.

Also it seems so dumb to jeopardize the sale of your own house as well cos what good does that do you? If your vendor loses you they'll have to find another buyer and they could lose the house they have chosen.

Do you know if there are more people in our likely to be in the chain? Might be with finding somewhere else to stay if you can. If he's just got himself and you into a longer chain i suspect it'll be more than a month. :-(
  • x_malibubabe
    Options
    Solicitor just waiting for signed contracts back and then we can exchange! She's hoping to complete by Friday. Fingers crossed! Put the offer in on 30th December, no chain (FTB and vacant property!).
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Solicitor just waiting for signed contracts back and then we can exchange! She's hoping to complete by Friday. Fingers crossed! Put the offer in on 30th December, no chain (FTB and vacant property!).

Can I ask you, do you have any idea what factors held up the process? Was there one item, one document, one request, or one person that was the sticking point?

Seems for an uncomplicated sale like this one, 3+ months to exchange is a long time(?) Or were both sides pretty chilled as to date of exchange? Were you not concerned at any point that you still had no guarantee of the vendor's commitment?
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • kk235b
    kk235b Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, it's really helpful to know that people are in similar frustrating situations! :) I know that home ownership rarely goes smoothly for anyone. I'm SO not good at not having a plan and knowing what I'm doing, I'm like a rabid dog just waiting for a date to work towards!

Finding out my seller's seller's (grand-seller's?!) position is one of the things my EA and solicitor are trying to establish and not getting an answer on. If they're not in a chain themselves, it could potentially be done really quickly, if they are, it could be ages.

*shrieks into the void*
  • pink_pirlie
    pink_pirlie Posts: 238 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    24 October 17- we accepted offer on our house sale
    13 November 17 - we had an offer accepted on our (hopefully) future house
    15 November 17 - Mortgage application submitted
    1 December 17 - Mortgage offer received
    26 January 18 - complete on sale of our house, our seller’s solicitors advise completion expected w/c 19 Feb. We move into temporary accommodation.
    5th February - advised by estate agent completion expected before the end of February. Short delay - can cope with that.
    Feb comes and goes. No news at all. EA ignoring us. Nothing coming from solicitor.
    5th March - find out vendor is buying a different property to the original one due to complete in Feb so starting conveyancing from the start again. Argh!!!!

Then nothing. We wait and wait and wait. So patiently.

Finally today, 9th April 18 - seller is almost ready to sign contract and agree exchange and completion dates. Apparently just a few outstanding enquiries to be signed off. Seller wants completion on a Monday.
    We have advised 30th or preferably the following week so we will have the LISA bonus on 17/18 in the account to use to the purchase (we accepted we would probably have to forego 25% on the bonus but as we weren’t expecting to be able to use it at all its not the end of the world. it’s been the only benefit of the delay!)

Fingers crossed dates are agreed by this time next week :-)
  • x_malibubabe
    Options
    dunroving wrote: »
    Can I ask you, do you have any idea what factors held up the process? Was there one item, one document, one request, or one person that was the sticking point?

Seems for an uncomplicated sale like this one, 3+ months to exchange is a long time(?) Or were both sides pretty chilled as to date of exchange? Were you not concerned at any point that you still had no guarantee of the vendor's commitment?

Leasehold flat for starters. Sellers are a mencap charity who owned the place for one of their service users (who passed away). They’ve been taking their sweet time to answer everything. I suspect a lot of paperwork has just been sat in an in tray waiting to be looked at! Our solicitor has been chasing their solicitor for almost daily, takes 3 emails to get one reply! we were going to say we’re pulling out cos it’s taking so long and all of a sudden everything happened last Friday, phone call from solicitor saying get deposit ready I wanna complete next Friday.

Hopefully they won’t take their time signing the contracts, but I’m aware this sale isn’t a priority for them...
  • deuxchatsnoirs
    Options
    Joining in on the stress! FTB, hating every minute of this process so far. I'm not a fan of waiting OR stress so this whole thing is torture for me!

Timeline so far:

16/03: Offer accepted on house
    16/03: Mortgage application submitted
    20/03: Tesco Bank request more paperwork due to fixed term contract of employment
    22/03: AIP
    26/03: Solicitor instructed
    29/03: Solicitor rejected from Tesco panel - withdraw services
    05/04: Survey carried out
    06/04: Instruct new panel-approved solicitor
    09/04: Receive survey - enquire with EA regarding building regs approval for work done to house.

Which leads us to today...over 3 weeks in and not even an official mortgage offer back yet :(

Does anybody have experience with gaining retrospective building regs approval? Does it delay the process much?

So glad I am not alone in the horrible process of constant worry...
  • marlasinger
    marlasinger Posts: 478 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No update from me except getting more stressed and worred as time passes. I caved in and have emailed our solicitor, just to confirm there has been no response. I might try phoning the estate agent next.
    marlasinger

• treeny_bash
    treeny_bash Posts: 162 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone

Lots of new names since the last time I was here, hoping that's a good sign that there's been plenty of graduates. We've been quite hasty in offering on a house that we've viewed once, the day after we saw it. After all the back and forth on the last one and ultimately backing out when things got messy because of doubts on all sides, and doing second viewings on 4 more properties with massive pro and cons lists on all sides, this feels quite terrifying. But we both came out of the viewing with a good feeling. It needs quite a bit of updating, it's 35k more than the last property (but 55k less than another property OH was keen on) and it's got one less bedroom, but strangely is bigger and better suited to our needs. I'm quite scared that there may be structural issues, it could need rewiring and it probably needs a new boiler. But we'll see how it goes. Here's the timeline:
    03/01 Offer accepted on House 1
    04/01 AIP agreed with Yorkshire - valid for 30 days
    08/01 Instructed solicitors to act on our behalf
    10/01 Provided EA with proof of deposit, AIP and ID
    12/01 Received pack from solicitors
    15/01 Paid fee for Searches
    18/01 Applied for full mortgage with YBS
    26/01 Phone call and email from YBS detailing information required to proceed with application
    26/01 - GOT ENGAGED (not relevant at all, but completely distracting me from the fact we're supposed to be doing house stuff)
    31/01 - Survey conducted
    05/02 - Searches returned
    19/02 - Mortgage offer confirmed
    21/02 - Paper version of offer received
    22/02 - 1st set of enquiries, vendors survey, etc received from Solicitors. Half of items missing or incorrect. Survey filled out badly with lots of mistakes - eg Vendor says there's no water meter, and property isn't connected to mains sewerage, despite the survey confirming the location of the water meter and confirming that there's mains sewerage. Solicitor confirms she is waiting for responses on missing docs and inconsistent answers
    08/03 - Email from solicitors advising that the missing enquiries have been answered, there's no consent from the covenant holder for the extension added. We can either get indemnity insurance, but this only covers financial loss, or ask for retrospective consent, but there may not be time because if we don't complete by 21st March the vendor is pulling out
    09/03 - Covenant owner hypothetically tells us that consent will cost £100 and would be done by return post. But there may also be an issue as the property was leasehold at the time the extension was built. Tell solicitor that we are not going to buy the house if consent is not obtained. Go to look at a house that's come on the market since we last looked (House 2)
    12/03 - Officially withdraw from House 1. Solicitor tells EA, who ring us to confirm. We're done with this one now.
    23/03 - offer on house 2 (after a second viewing with both sets of parents, OH getting quite stroppy about covenant consent for extensions and OHs parents being quite harsh about the property)
    26/03 - Vendors of house 2 decide not to sell.
    05/04 - View house 3 - dated and potentially needs work, but a nice space and a nice feel
    06/04 - Offer on house 3. After a bit of back and forth, with us starting at 30k under asking and them really wanting 5k over asking, we end at 5k under.
    07/04 - Sign paperwork at EA, contact YBS who reconfirm the amount they are prepared to lend (since the property is more than our mortgage offer and our AIP is expired)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback