PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Spent £47.05 on 10th. Over £13 was on biscuits, sweets and trifle. :eek: I was poorly so DS went shopping!
    Feel really down and trying to generate some motivation to go through the freezers.

Had some YS roast pork in the kitchen freezer which 'someone' has taken out and put in the fridge a couple of days ago without telling me so that will have to go in the bin. The same 'someone' also cooked a frozen family sized apple crumble, without telling me, and then left it in the oven (switched off) Talk about waste.:mad:
    I think this month is going to be a real learning curve for me.
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    zafiro1984 wrote: »
    .....I'd be interested to know whether folk count toiletries and cleaning stuff in their grocery challenge.
    I believe the average for a family of four is around £84 a week, does anyone know if that includes these items......
    I'm not sure where you found the 'average for a family' figures but it's difficult to find up-to-date figures for these. I think that would be just for supermarket spends - but what is included I wouldn't know.

Our budget for the year is £2500. Month's budget is £200 and I put £100 in bulk buy fund in January. Month's budget covers all food, cleaning, laundry and general toiletries for myself and DH.

I add any monies left over each month into the 'bulk buy fund' and this usually covers our butcher meat.

We use mainly Al*i for weekly shopping and discount shops for things like beans, tuna, sauces and cleaning/toiletry products, always looking for a 'bargain'.

We do eat quite well, lots of meat, fish, fruit and veg - though unfortunately we live in an apartment without a garden so can't grow anything except some herbs.

We have separate budgets for wine and entertainment - don't have takeaways but usually eat out about once a month. HTH
    zafiro1984 wrote: »
    Many thanks PipneyJane and Suffolk Lass - I didn't know how to do two quotes on a posting otherwise I'd have posted yours as well............
    If you use the icon that looks like balloons instead of the 'quote' icon you can quote up to three posts ;)

Spends today of £4.54 in Sainsbobs (pate and olives for a treat) and £24.71 in Al*i.

Hope you're all enjoying the weekend
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    I count everything in my budget, except alcohol because you can't buy it in Australian supermarkets. Bulk buying, which happens every couple of months, just goes on the monthly budget: over the year it should therefore get easier, since I don't go through everything I buy during the month I buy it, meaning that things like toilet paper build up over time and then I can have a really cheap month, hopefully, in November to save for Christmas.

Didn't manage to get to the cheaper supermarket this weekend thanks to a mad schedule of children's birthday parties, but still managed to keep the weekly shop at around $210. I'm at $416/$950 with two weekly shops left to do.

Meal plan!
    Sunday: Butter chicken and HM naan bread
    Monday: Gado gado (my chickens have started laying again! Lots of egg recipes coming up)
    Tuesday: Tacos
    Wednesday: Tuna/potato patties with warm couscous salad
    Thursday: Haven't a clue. Soup probably.
    Friday: Slow cooked beef casserole
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • butterfly2507
    butterfly2507 Posts: 293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 13 August 2017 at 9:26AM
    Options
    Good morning! :j

So we went shopping last night and it came down to around 68 €. Which isn't bad for a complete empty fridge after vacation :D Like I said OH wanted some post stamps and they were 7 € for 10 stamps :eek:

But we really took advantage of the 1+1 for free deal. We got 2x8 rolls of toilet paper and 2x4 rolls of paper towels which will keep us safe for the next few months. So we won't spend that money next week or the week after, thank God. The stamps will also last a while, that's nothing we need to purchase every week.

Even though we paid 68 € we still saved 17,49 €. We also got some points on our card that we can turn into coupons for 10 or 20 € off. Next time maybe!

Overall I'm happy with the "first time budgeting". Maybe we can keep it under 200 € for the rest of the month :rotfl:
    books read 2020: 29 / 100
    Weight loss journey: 1,5 KG / 9 KG

english is not my first language, sorry for any misspellings :o
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    :hello:Hello to all the newbies and welcome back to all the returners.

Spends for Week 2 came in at £13.94 – two shops and 5 NSDs.

Now into Week 3 with Friday spends of £7.60 in the market plus £37.97 in Sainsbobs.

This was for "needed" items plus promo offers of things we do/will use and ys bargains of fruited teacakes, potato cakes and 6 decent sized turkey breasts. The turkey pieces were individually wrapped in a zip-lock freezer bag and cost 80p each. :)

I also got some other reduced items that weren't short dated, more like sale items that I'm guessing they won't be selling in future as they all had BBE dates of 2018/2019. These were 3 sausage casserole mixes with the bags that you oven cook everything in (20p each) and enough stock cubes (beef/chicken/veg) to keep us going for a very long time. Bargainous price of 10p per box, 10 cubes per box = 1p per stock cube. :):)

Like others on here, we’re also on holiday countdown (14 days to go :j) so now I'm concentrating on using up all the fresh foods from the fridge before we go. I've done meal plans for the next two weeks and as far as I can work out I'll only need to get milk, butter and perhaps a couple of other odds and ends. I’m looking forward to having a very healthy surplus left in the budget! :D

I do an online grocery order for delivery for the heavy/bulky stuff (no car and can’t carry too much) but, since joining this challenge, I’ve found these have gone down from one per month to one every other month. We’re eating well (tbh, probably better than before) and I’m not spending any more either so it just goes to show that I must have been buying far more than we actually needed. :o

Will update signature in a mo. Have a good week everyone.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    lynnejk wrote: »
    I'm not sure where you found the 'average for a family' figures but it's difficult to find up-to-date figures for these. I think that would be just for supermarket spends - but what is included I wouldn't know.

From the TV programme 'Eat well for less'

I managed to go round a whole week with just one food shop, which I think is a first for me. I've done my meal plan and made a list of just the items I need so hopefully shopping tomorrow will come in at under £50.
    If I've any money left I need to get extra cream as I'm going to turn some brown/granary bread crusts from the freezer into brownbread icecream which is so yummy and a great favourite here.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Morning!

Busy weekend looking after DD (as DH was away with his Dad for a weekend fishing trip for his Birthday), trying to tidy, clean and cook.

Popped to Morries on Saturday for Milk top up, dr pepper zero, .......yeah, mostly junk food :( This would explain why I gained 2lbs this week, instead of losing any! Came to £11.85.

NSD yesterday at least.

Today, L for Diet Pepsi, a sandwich for lunch (wasn't organised this morning) and butter for home (running low). £5.26.

New total £301.63/£300. I'm over already :(

I did a bit of a freezer tidy this weekend, and we have LOADS of food in. It's just top ups on fresh stuff that we need, and maybe a few more nappies.

I used all the pureed veg to make a veggie soup, as suggested, so will have that for lunch this week. I tried making bread, and it tastes nice, but is quite dense. It did rise well, both times, but sank as soon as I removed the cling film the second time and didn't rise any further in the oven. Don't know why. Also made some more moroccan chicken for DD as had a cooked chicken breast left over. Have plenty of prepped meals in the freezer for her too.

Got the PM off today, as got her 12/13 month jabs :'( NOT looking forward to that. Hopefully she'll recover quickly. Gonna have some sliced grapes in a pot ready to give her afterwards, as they usually cheer her up. Fingers crossed!
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Oh, and also collected loads of blueberries from the garden. Yummy! :)
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Wow, such a beautiful day in London - feel like skipping. Day 4 of no grocery spends. Hoping to go until Thursday, when Lidl have their veggie/vegan event (allegedly). I did run out of plant milk and prefer the Lidl one, so have made some oat milk to see me through.
  • elf06
    elf06 Posts: 1,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well our schools go back on Wednesday and DS has requested ham wraps so tonight after work I shall buy said wraps and ham. I also need to stock up on fruit for his lunches and snacks (and cereal he has just reminded me!!) but I think I have most other things in. I haven't totalled up my spends yet but I have had some more NSDs and all my receipts are in my bag to take to work tonight and total up.
    Will also do some meal planning while I'm there. I am pretty sure I'm over budget but as I messed up the budget this month I'm not tooooo worried about it (ok I'm a little peeved but more at messing it up than going over budget haha)
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills