Spent 4 years pretending it's all OK

Options

Comments

• Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,047 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks for the update NOA, though I'm sorry to hear it's been such a 'winter of discontent'. The snowdrops are a real turning point though, aren't they? From now on spring is definitely on the way!

It does sound as though your careful provision in the past has been a help with financing the car in particular, and the part time work being temporarily part time has to be a tribute to your abilities too.

It's great that your DH has a new job starting soon. Is it the same sort of thing he's done before? I hope all goes well.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well halooooo NOA :) Long time no read. Good to hear from you.

RL throws us those curve balls every now and then....apparently it creates for a rich tapestry and all that. Hmmm I would settle for a simple cross stitch sometimes ;)

No snowdrops here yet although have had a little clump of daffs flowering since New years Day!

Here is to an interesting 2019.........you are back, and that is what is important.
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • NoOneAround
    NoOneAround Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello :)
    A busy but productive day, but not productive enough as always. Back to work tomorrow, full week again, 38-40 hrs, this extended period of full time couldn't have come at a better time, things always do work out one way or another.

Cherry - Thank you for your kind words, I was asked to step in to help because they do know my abilities/work ethic/standards :) and being a school environment it has helped them out a lot. but its obviously helping me too at a time of need so win-win. DH 's new job is in same field, just a different role at a different stage of the construction process - he knows a couple of the senior management - they have created a role for him, fingers crossed all goes well.

Igamogam - good to "see" you too :) I would just love simple cross stitch........
    Today's tapestry includes meltdown from DS who is just realising school days are almost over and big changes are coming - had a long very emotional conversation, he's sadly lost a good friend just before Christmas, and it's just beginning to hit him about the fragility of life. This is the first time he's really opened up about it.

Got to get ready for work now, best go.
    Have a good week all,
    NOA
    xx
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/02/17 £66,600=8.18%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=£200,300 Jan17£180,700>OCT17 £170,200
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes:)
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 £51
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Those conversations are tough, aren't they. :( Perhaps the meltdown was the best thing given the circumstances, though it's hard to see it happening.
    You and your husband are both valued in your relative fields of work, it's plain to see. :)
    I hope you have a positive and productive week coming up!

• Puzzcat
    Puzzcat Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Noah,

Sounds like you have had some tricky times, I really hope that 2019 is kinder to you.

Much love.
    Puzz. x
    Christmas 2020 £109
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 57% done
    £60062/25384.84 - 13222.60k UE

MY DIARY
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
  • NoOneAround
    NoOneAround Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Puzzcat wrote: »
    Hi Noah,

Sounds like you have had some tricky times, I really hope that 2019 is kinder to you.

Much love.
    Puzz. x
    Those conversations are tough, aren't they. :( Perhaps the meltdown was the best thing given the circumstances, though it's hard to see it happening.
    You and your husband are both valued in your relative fields of work, it's plain to see. :)
    I hope you have a positive and productive week coming up!

Thank you Cherry, Puzz

It's been a busy full on week, and doing accounts and tax returns for company/dh/me in the evenings - Just submitted mine - the last one.......and paid my dues. All savings and bank accounts will be pretty much down to zero within the next week. A couple of very tight weeks, might do the wasitline some good! before DH gets his first paycheck from new job since Nov. I don't get paid until end of month either.
    Absolutely drained. Off to bed
    Hope all well in MSE land.
    NOA
    xx
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/02/17 £66,600=8.18%PAID
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    I hope it's not as tough as you're expecting, NOA. Well done on wading through the tax returns, though. I've never heard of anyone who didn't dread them, but now they are done and dusted and can't hang over you for a whole year.
    Sleep well, you've earned it. x

• brizzlegirl
    brizzlegirl Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hello :wave:

Its SOOO good to see you're posting again, but what a rollercoaster. SO glad you're seeing the back of it all and glad that you are making people stand up on their own feet ;) Boo to RA getting worse though.

We are tighter than a tight thing here too. Reckon after the big bills go out tomorrow we will have £50 in the bank and that's assuming that no debits have been forgotten about. :eek: But its all in a good cause. I am so determined, NOA, to get rid of this millstone around my neck and saving and investing for our future.

Keep in touch xx
  • NoOneAround
    Options
    Hello :)
    Thank you Cherry and Brizzle- we seemed to be surviving -waist line not reduced at all unfortunately :( Trouble is when I'm stressed I crave the wrong sort of food. I really have to pull myself together on the food front, it doesn't help anything, including health, at all to be lazy about it. Some clever juggling between accounts needed the last week or so, and I did forget about some payments but luckily got text from bank to say pay in by 2pm to avoid charges etc.

More news - I have a big decision to make - I have been offered the job I've been doing to help out since September :eek::mad::T:(
    Not sure what I feel - and not sure what to do - have been mulling it over and over for last 10 days.
    Term time only so lots of hols. BUT DS leaves school in July - and I don't need to be tied to term time any more! Cheap hols await if I don't take it but guaranteed income if I do - the SE work would need to wind down a bit. Not huge salary but I can do the job with one hand tied behind my back and blindfolded so no stress apart from the People sort. Don't know what to do, need to decide by Monday.
    Was really looking forward to some freedom from routine after DS goes to uni in autumn, but maybe I might need something to keep me occupied (as if there isn't enough to do!).
    Making decision is stressful :(

Hope you are all enjoying the lovely weather we've had this week, haven't really had much of a chance to get out.

NOA
    x
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Well, congratulations! It's always a compliment when someone who knows your work well wants to see more of you. For what it's worth, I have a few thoughts...
    You obviously aren't saying 'Wow! I can't wait!' but neither do you seem to hate it. I suppose if you accept it needn't be forever.
    Once DS is at Uni, you may need to fill that time as it seems very quiet once they aren't there all the time.
    Steady income is good but if you're feeling overfaced now, do you really want to tie in to those hours?
    What percentage of your income would this be? What if you didn't have that income?
    I'm sure others will have thoughts that might be more insightful than mine!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport