We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The all new 2019 growing your own thread!

Options

Comments

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    baggins11 wrote: »
    That's fabulous Slowdown - sounds like you are getting lots done. My leeks sound similar to yours - like spring onion seedlings very thin. I assume that is how they should look but someone will let us know if not.

I have had one of those days were events are conspiring against me. I was so delighted that my netting had arrived for my beds that I stabbed myself with a sharp pair of scissors trying to get into the bag. Bled a crazy amount for a hand wound and it really hurts. It was one of those moments that you look back and wonder how you could be so silly.

Anyway I bandaged myself up and got my hoops and netting sorted and managed to plant my first bed! Half was garlic and half shallots. They had been growing in module trays in the greenhouse but really needed to go in.

Went back in the house for a cup of tea and one of the dogs had ripped open a bag of flour and there was mess all over the kitchen floor. Both sat there looking innocent but only one had a white nose!

Hoping to do my red onion and first early pots this weekend. Will try not to stab myself again in the process.

Happy gardening everyone

Sorry to hear about your hand. I just love your posts! - I told DH (in the context that we were both lacerated last weekend dealing with Blackthorn and ramble thorns) and I read the bold bit :rotfl: to DH who suggested I remind you of the Kenny Everett (Reg Prescott gardening tips) as a cautionary tale. (Probably best to ignore that suggestion so I have not posted the link but I have been watching guilty dog flour bag clips in You Tube - all to avoid going to the dump...)
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • baggins11
    baggins11 Posts: 274 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    LOL Suffolk Lass I had forgotten how funny Kenny was! That was so me on Friday :o

I had a busy garden day yesterday and I think things are coming together. I am trying to work out a plan based on spacing and would appreciate some feedback.

I have created 15 no dig veg beds (thanks Taff!) approx. 1.2m x 3m per bed.

3 beds for potatoes a few pentland javelin 1st early (already in), charlotte second early and pink fir apple maincrop.
    1 bed for set red onion – already in
    1 bed for set shallot and garlic – already in

With the other beds I aim to do the following (I am starting things off in the greenhouse where possible):

1 bed for multi-sown shallot
    1 bed for ½ multi-sown leek and ½ parsnip. I love roots but the plot is quite close to a few oaks unfortunately so I am not sure roots will do so well.
    1 bed for ¾ carrot and ¼ multi-sown beetroot (I am the only one in the family who likes beetroot but would like to dehydrate some crisps)
    1 bed for lettuce (some cut and come and I will leave some for hearts) we eat lots of salad so will 1 bed be enough for a meal for 4 every day? I will successional sow in modules so the new ones have a headstart.
    1 bed for 4 courgette plants (we only tend to eat courgette in the winter but I will have a go at dehydrating crops)
    1 bed for legumes – ½ the bed dwarf bean & borlotti and ½ the bed peas of some sort. (we are not big bean eaters)
    1 bed for 1/3 of the bed sweetcorn (12 plants) and the rest sprouting broccoli (we eat loads of sprouting broccoli but not sure how easy they will be to grow.)
    1 bed for multi-sown spring onions, spinach and rocket.

So that just leaves me with 2 beds which I can use for annual flowers if I don’t need them for anything else.

I also have a 6 x 8ft glass greenhouse, a 8ft x 10ft large plastic greenhouse and a mini lean to wooden frame greenhouse.

I have got 50 (not a typo!) tomato plants. I usually do up to 30 plants each year (I would live off tomatoes if could) so any that survive over the 30 will probably be given away. I have a few chilli seedlings coming on.

How many cucumber plants should I grow for 4 of us?

If you have read this far thankyou! Any recommendations or glaring mistakes please shout.
  • SunMoonStars
    Options
    Hi Baggins,

Sounds very well planned, you’ve put me and my lack of planning to shame!

The only thing I would consider is to maybe plant more leeks than you are planning, as many of the hardier varieties such as Below Zero and Musselburgh stand well into the winter so can be very good for the hungry gap.

Good luck!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wow. I'm in awe, baggins. Kudos to you!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • baggins11
    Options
    Wait til the weeds start coming up Karmacat, I might just run for the hills yet!
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,508 Forumite
    Options
    As long as you have a good thick mulch you shouldn't see too many [hopefully! blame charles dowding if you do!! :)] and what you do see shoud be easily removed.
    Plant the sweetcorn in a block [just in case you hadn't planned that already]. For your brassicas, think about what protection you're going to give them to avoid cabbage white butterfly and how you're going to do it with your beds.
    You've taken on a huge amount of work, I know, I used to have about 8 8x4 beds and keeping them filled and rotated was a lot of work.

If you make a lot fo soup, consider a few celery plants, they don't need blanching because you're after the flavour so the greener the better, they can be chopped up and frozen.
    Spinach has a tendency to bolt if it's too sunny, so if you have a shadier bed, put it in there, or use chard instead, it bolts less. [This I don't understand as I know in Italy where my mother was from they grow loads of the stuff and it doesn't seem to do it so much there, will have to ask my cousin if she can get me some seeds from there]
    Also, did you want to plant any fruit? Raspberries and blackcurrants spring to mind, along with maybe a stepover apple?

Well done though, that's a massive amount of work....
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • baggins11
    Options
    Thanks Taff! Yes I know I have taken on a massive amount of work but hope i will be able to keep on top of it. I work part time hours so have at least an hour each morning to dedicate to the garden and then obviously evenings and weekends.

As the veg beds are next to my house it means I can keep on top of it a bit easier. Our entire plot is around 3 acres and was overgrown with ivy etc when we moved in last year so I have a lot on generally getting it all under control. My heart sings and muscles ache in equal measure with this house!

I will put the spinach and lettuce nearest the oaks as I read leafy greens can cope better being near trees. I have some chard seed so I will try that also as it sounds like it might be a better bet.

My biggest worry is keeping the paths weed free. I have put down membrane then cardboard topped with woodchip on around half of the paths but have run out of woodchip. I want to buy a shredder rather than woodchip but cant afford that yet. For now I will keep putting cardboard pinned down and hope for the best!

I forgot to mention fruit - I have put 20 autumn raspberry canes in and 30 strawberry plants. I have a space for I think it was 20 asparagus which are on order.

Eventually I want to create a mini orchard at the bottom of our field as we currently have loads of trees but no fruit trees. I have run out of money though for this year so will be doing that next year if I can..
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    edited 24 March 2019 at 11:54AM
    Options
    Re cucumbers, I buy the outdoor mini-varieties and grow 2 plants for 2 of us and give masses away. I also grow butternut squash, usually in the same bed (mine are double the width of yours, with all the inherent weeding issues!) and it gets monstrously overgrown. I have experimented with growing squashes on a frame so they climb (this is what they do at Helmingham Hall). needs good support but saves space for the small cucumbers and courgettes if you are diligent in tying them up.

Have you considered mixing up your salad bed? I usually grow the fast-growing french breakfast radishes and some spinach in with my salad leaves and just keep snipping with scissors - one bed is plenty. I occasionally buy an iceberg in the summer to mix with my home-grown as I rather like the wateriness of it.

Left to me I would increase your sweetcorn (taff is right about a block) - 24 is not too many as some around the outside plants may not fruit too much, in my experience (might be how exposed they are where I grow them).

For your other 2 beds, you could consider asparagus and as taff suggests, some soft fruit (a premium crop as it is so expensive to buy). Blackcurrants and gooseberries share nicely. And rhubarb is worth considering (not under a tree). A Victoria Plum tree might also be good as it is self fertile (though crops more heavily if a pollination partner is nearby).

I stick to tomatoes and chillies in my greenhouse (too small and rickety) and grow some tomatoes against the house too. I freeze loads of fruit and veg - tomatoes I used to whizz to passata but they are just as good in the round and bunged in from frozen. Chillies are better prepared when frozen (no oil on your fingers) so I always freeze my whole crop. And Borlotti and broad beens - fantastic in the winter. You could plant the latter later after your potatoes (and top up your leeks then too).

I am also growing PJ and Charlotte this year, with International Kidney (Jersey Royals, grown in the wrong place). When we grew PFA, we found it incredibly difficult to clear them. It was a prolific crop of tiny potatoes and they continued to start new ones for five years after - resulting in blight - so not for me. Obviously regional and seasonal variations differ.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • baggins11
    Options
    Thank you Suffolk Lass - lots to think about.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Still need to catch up! DD was sick on Friday morning, so we had to cancel our planned visit to Nana's on Sat, as well as swimming. Thankfully, she was only sick the once, but was definitely under the weather and not herself. Seems back to normal this morning though.

But, being house/garden bound, we decided to make best use of the time and sort the garden out. Finally got the remainder of the old fabric planter (on the decking) emptied and fabric thrown away (it was torn all over the place! Generally cleared space at that end of the decking and then gave it a good scrub with some water and a broom as it was very slippy in places. Still not perfect now, but much improved.

We then moved the set of planted fruit bushes, and their water management system and water butt, over to that end of the decking. We gave all the bits and bobs a good scrub and rinse too.

This freed up space for where our new raised planter was going. So I left DH to put that up, whilst DD and I went to the shops to get some compost to fill it up, and a couple of tiles for it to stand on (on one side), to stabilise it. So, it is up. It is filled with compost, and DH has made like a lattice of sticks against the back of it for climbing/tall plants to attach to. The 2nd part of that was done yesterday.

We also then emptied one of our old deep planters and placed against the back wall on the decking. Placed some old trellis we had lying around behind it, and secured that, before filling that with compost and transplanting the peas and beans.

We had an empty pot available in the self watering system, which we filled with compost and potted courgette and cucumber into. It was too soon for the cucumber. They are not happy and I don't think they will survive. I was too keen I think! Oh well, just have to sow some more.

Also potted on some spare seedlings and again passed to neighbour.

Still need to treat the lawn. It is mostly moss and dandelions, but that's more tricky to do as don't want DD around when we do that.

Hope everyone is well! x
    February wins: Theatre tickets
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family