PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5

Options

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is there a resource/website that can help me to confirm loan amount, PPI paid and length of loan?!

No. That would be impossible. There are certainly some dodgy examples given on claim sites about how much it could be. Typically overstating the amounts by a long way.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • 4kix
    Options
    Has anyone else here received a letter from Lloyds TSB regarding new condition 15.8 ?. In around 2003/4, my then wife persuaded me that we needed to speak to our bank manager as our financial situation was very poor due to her uncontrollable spending. We made an appointment and were offered a small loan (£1200 from memory) which was payed in full. The problem arose due to the fact that a credit card was given to us as part of the loan deal. We had a joint account at this time.
    Less than 1 year later, we separated, and I remained living in the marital home with our young son.
    I still had a bank account with Lloyds TSB, and noticed that ammounts of money were starting to be taken from my current account.
    When i asked about this the bank told me that these were payments taken to repay the £3500 debt which had been run up on the credit card. My wife had been using it at atm's to withdraw cash.
    As mine was the name on the card,Lloyds chased me fo the debt.
    I agreed to carry on making payments against the debt until i could contact my wife, and I paid a significant ammount.
    I managed to contact my wife , who agreed the debt was hers, and promised to pay it off.
    All was quiet for a while, then I started to recieve letters fro the bank again demanding payments. As a single parent I could not make these payments, antd the account went into default.
    A fter hearing nothing for years, and as 6 years has almost passed since the default notice, I have received this new condition 15.8 letter.
    Could anyone please throw any light onto this situation ?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    4kix wrote: »
    Has anyone else here received a letter from Lloyds TSB regarding new condition 15.8 ?. In around 2003/4, my then wife persuaded me that we needed to speak to our bank manager as our financial situation was very poor due to her uncontrollable spending. We made an appointment and were offered a small loan (£1200 from memory) which was payed in full. The problem arose due to the fact that a credit card was given to us as part of the loan deal. We had a joint account at this time.
    Less than 1 year later, we separated, and I remained living in the marital home with our young son.
    I still had a bank account with Lloyds TSB, and noticed that ammounts of money were starting to be taken from my current account.
    When i asked about this the bank told me that these were payments taken to repay the £3500 debt which had been run up on the credit card. My wife had been using it at atm's to withdraw cash.
    I agreed to carry on making payments against the debt until i could contact my wife, and I paid a significant ammount.
    I managed to contact my wife , who agreed the debt was hers, and promised to pay it off.
    All was quiet for a while, then I started to recieve letters fro the bank again demanding payments. As a single parent I could not make these payments, antd the account went into default.
    A fter hearing nothing for years, and as 6 years has almost passed since the default notice, I have received this new condition 15.8 letter.

Banks are allowed to set off accounts across the group anyway. Lloyds are are just putting it in the T&C as they standardise their documentation between the different groups.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • jay-1
    jay-1 Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    4kix wrote: »

It would be helpful if you could tell us what the new condition is.
  • bumblingbee_2
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm brand new to this site, so bear with me! I'm considering starting the process of investigating whether I'm entitled to a PPI refund. I know there is a wealth of info on here, but I've got limited time (2 napping children, but not for long...!) and no idea where to start.

Basically, in my university days (2000 - 2004) I had a number of credit cards, inc. Egg, Mint, HSBC, MBNA and a Graduate Loan with HSBC - all of which are been closed accounts and have been for a long time. No idea if I paid PPI or not (I know I won't have asked for it). I also have no records of any of them, inc dates I applied or even when I had which ones! I know that this is out of the 6 year period that is mentioned.

Also, are there any companies that do it for you that take a lower percent? (had read one that takes 30% which seems quite a lot). I thought maybe with it being a potentially more complicated process, it might be easier to get someone else to do it.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance x
  • vinny770
    Options
    Hi All,

I've had a good read through alot on here and now think Ive confused myself. I have a Lombard Direct Credit Card and started payment protection in 2008 and have been paying it monthly untill Jan 2012, simply cannot remember wether it was a paperwork agreement or done over the phone, any ideas which is my best course of action now ?
    Thanks in advance
  • jay-1
    jay-1 Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    vinny770 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I've had a good read through alot on here and now think Ive confused myself. I have a Lombard Direct Credit Card and started payment protection in 2008 and have been paying it monthly untill Jan 2012, simply cannot remember wether it was a paperwork agreement or done over the phone, any ideas which is my best course of action now ?
    Thanks in advance

Just fill in the questionaire honestly, if you are unsure how you took this PPI out just say that.
  • vinny770
    Options
    jay-1 wrote: »
    Just fill in the questionaire honestly, if you are unsure how you took this PPI out just say that.

Thank you, will do
  • 4kix
    4kix Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    jay-1 wrote: »
    It would be helpful if you could tell us what the new condition is.
    new condition. 15.8
    if we owe you any money in connection with any transactions,interest or charges on your account we may use that money to reduce any arrears you owe under this agreement. If we intend to do this we will tell you when we offer to make payment to you. We will also follow any relevant guidance in a code of practice that applies to us, or as required by our regulator or another similar body.
  • ZeroGravitas
    Options
    Also, are there any companies that do it for you that take a lower percent? (had read one that takes 30% which seems quite a lot). I thought maybe with it being a potentially more complicated process, it might be easier to get someone else to do it.

It isn't easier. Claims companies have no special knowledge or access. You would still have to do the legwork, and then pass it on to them to actually put the complaint in. I posted something on this a couple of pages back (sorry, not sure how to link). It's daunting, but as you'll have to do it anyway, you could do what I did - start with Martin's guide, print off the proforma and you'll see more clearly exactly what information is needed. Bear in mind you don't necessarily need every last detail. I made successful complaints with very little information. But think carefully about your reasons for believing you were missold. Good luck.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback