Edf energy reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• egyptiancotton
    egyptiancotton Posts: 525 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 6 September 2018 at 10:00AM
    Options
    My dual fuel switch from npower to EDF completed today. The switch went quite smoothly and I had regular email updates from EDF. I've submitted my opening meter readings and I have my own spreadsheets to keep track of my meter readings, bills and payments (just in case there are any surprises). But so far, so good. The online account portal is easy to use.

I needed to ask a few questions about my Direct Debit and found out that queries are dealt with via live chat or email, so no option to contact via phone. Not a big deal but something I wasn't expecting.
  • donslosers
    Options
    I'm an existing customer and applied for MSE Cheapenergyclub Exclusive Easy Online tariff over a fortnight ago. No word since and EDF now claim not to have received the application and have no knowledge of the tariff.

According to Cheapenergyclub, delay is due to EDF having problems processing all tariff switches.

But I experienced problems switching to EDF originally, and had to make a complaint. However, since then, things have run smoothly, which is why I thought it would be easiest to continue with them.

How wrong was that!

So...mixed review.
  • Futuristic
    Futuristic Posts: 1,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 6 September 2018 at 6:04PM
    Options
    Helped a friend switch from EON to EDF and no issues, just got the first reading request. My EDF>EDF switch form MSE meanwhile no updates like everyone else.

I just went on live chat, they said they can see it in process and email will be sent once done..

To be honest, the old fix is way cheaper so if they switch in the last week of Sept that's pretty good :)
  • Orinoko
    Options
    I started my switch from EDF blue price freeze Feb 19 to the edf exclusive sept 19 via the cheap energy club on August 22nd, heard nothing so live chatted with someone yesterday and sent them the confirmation and screen shot with the details and they have just emailed me back saying the switch is successful - so I'm pleased, always had good service from them.

Money saving cheap energy page is still staying in progress though - will I still get my cashback?
  • Consumerist
    Options
    Orinoko wrote: »
    . . . Money saving cheap energy page is still staying in progress though - will I still get my cashback?
    CEC will wait for confirmation of the switch completion from EDF before paying the cashback.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Former_Royal
    Options
    Hi all
    Have been with EDF for 2 years with a below average dual fuel use, plus an aversion to current smart meters. Have been bombarded with the usual e mails (ignored) and now have to renew contract or move. EDF have a reasonable deal but only if you accept the fitment of their smart meter. To avoid having a smart meter they will offer you a similar deal but at basically £125 more! As it's a 1st version of the smart meter do you think it worthwhile to accept the s.m. and pay less or hold out on having one fitted and pay the extra £125 per year? I am concerned that the smart meters will mean difficulty in future changing supplier and in their current reliability. Is this just a ploy to get their government quotas of smart meters fitted? What happened to CHOICE - oh I know - you have to pay extra for that !! So no change there then. Anyone else come against this dilemma?
    Cheers guys F.R.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 September 2018 at 10:17PM
    Options
    . . . Is this just a ploy to get their government quotas of smart meters fitted?
    That's my take on the matter. Suppliers are fined for not meeting their quota of smart-meter installations.

Whether it is worth sacrificing £125-worth of savings is a question only you can answer.

Edit
    It may be worth doing a whole-of-market energy comparison to see if you can get a better deal elsewhere without the need for a smart meter.
  • Former_Royal
    Options
    Hi
    Seems that for a low consumer most switch/advice sites don't actually beat EDF on tarriffs.
    Only way is to go to a newbie provider whose track records are difficult to ascertain due to few customer reviews. Just a shame the In their effort to comply with this government's policy (which I believe to be flawed on smart meters at present) they are happy to allow companies to penalise consumers by bullying them into taking a smart meter, from which there appears no benefits to savvy energy consumers - roll on smets version 2. Think I'll use some savings just to avoid their fitting this one.
    Regards - F.R.
    ( ps: if I'm not careful I could end up typing this in the dark eh lol🤔😤)
    pps - mind you come the big fade out we all may be in the dark
  • Consumerist
    Options
    Be aware that you cannot be forced to have a smart meter installed.

Another option, involving a bit more research for you, is to consider splitting your energy supplies between two suppliers to get a better overall deal.
  • moonpenny
    moonpenny Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Be aware that you cannot be forced to have a smart meter installed.

Another option, involving a bit more research for you, is to consider splitting your energy supplies between two suppliers to get a better overall deal.

You say you can't be forced to have a Smart Meter but I have just agreed to a new tariff and in the t's and c's it says I am agreeing to having a meter fitted.

I do not want a Smart meter but the tariff was much cheaper than others on the comparison sites. Also, the other sites dont tell you if you have to sign up to a smart meter u ntill you read the small print.
    I am beginning my cooling off period and am seriously thinking of pulling out of the deal

What would happen if I refused the meter given that it was a condition of the tariff?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback