Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Jet2.com ONLY

Options

Comments

• Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    PomBear wrote: »
    Pcy - it was your post I saw further up that prompted me to stop lurking!

In relation to Pcy's outgoing flight, and I am possibly clutching at straws here, but given SKG is known for strong northerly winds between June and August, necessitating landing on runway 34, could Jet2 not have predicted the flight would find it difficult to land following its delay? The winds are known so hardly freak or wholly exceptional weather. The pilot on our reciprocal inbound flight told us he was not allowed to land on Runway 34 at night. We don't know the reason for this but I do know, from research (as posted above), that night landings are permitted providing PAPIS are available (precision approach path indicators - usually adjacent to runway) and EGPWS (enhanced ground proximity warning system - installed on plane) are serviceable. I checked the reg of the plane (FlightRadar24) and its manufacture date was Nov 1999. We'll never know, but I wonder if it was fitted? (It was developed late 90s). Also, found a BA document on line, and they don't permit landing on runway 34 at night. Wonder if Jet2 do? Not sure if it makes any difference at all, but could they have foreseen this could happen in the event of delay. And if they could, why schedule a flight to land late evening when, even if slightly delayed, known weather patterns combined with predictable runway restrictions could make it impossible to land?

J Pears and Novice Angel - you have been so helpful. After more thought, I think I will DIY this. Good to know that they can't rely on knock-ons.

Hi PomBear,

It seems that landing on 34 is more difficult than most other runways as it requires a 3.8 degree glide slope approach rather than the normal 3 degrees. I also believe that 34 does have the PAPI's system. Still not 100% sure tho why most aircraft were able to land on 34 that night but your J2 flight couldn't.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • pcyuljr
    pcyuljr Posts: 115 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Tyzap, thank you for the all above information. I feel it will prove invaluable should I end up in a courtroom.

Can I ask where you managed to obtain the information from please? I have looked on flight radar and flight stats to try and prove that aircraft landed after our abortive attempt but have struggled to find it anywhere.
  • Tyzap
    Options
    Hi pcyuljr,

Most of it is from doing a live playback in real time, so plenty of detail. I also had a word with a pilot about the runways, who helped to a degree and showed me the glide slope details. Don't think they like giving too much away when delay compensation is involved tho. We need a impartial friend with the right technical knowledge to help with some advice.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • pcyuljr
    Options
    What do you mean 'a live playback in real time'?

Sorry if these are noob questions, but the above reads to me as if you have watched aircraft landing somehow at the airport?

I'm just wondering how I can prove that aircraft landed at the airport after our abortive attempt - especially the Cologne one on the same runway!

Not sure why Jet2 are trying to get out of this one. What you have said certainly would suggest their case stands up to no scrutiny!
  • Tyzap
    Options
    pcyuljr wrote: »
    What do you mean 'a live playback in real time'?

Sorry if these are noob questions, but the above reads to me as if you have watched aircraft landing somehow at the airport?

I'm just wondering how I can prove that aircraft landed at the airport after our abortive attempt - especially the Cologne one on the same runway!

Not sure why Jet2 are trying to get out of this one. What you have said certainly would suggest their case stands up to no scrutiny!

Hi,

Some of the flight tracker apps allow you to playback historic flights, usually it's the premium upgrades tho not the free apps that allow this. My version of Plane Finder allows the playback of flights from as long ago as 2011. Flight Radar used to allow historic flights but I think it's limited to a week if you have the free version. There are others but I don't know anything about them in any detail.

Remember also that you do not have to prove it was not an EC, It's up to the airline to prove that it was, and why so. If they fail to prove this then you claim is successful. As J2 claim it was all due to a weather related EC they will need to be able to explain, to a court if it goes that far, why no other aircraft were affected. They won't be able to, and thats why I don't think this claim will get that far. If the weather really had been so bad other flights would have also been affected, but they weren't. If there was a problem with the runway other flights would also have been affected, but they weren't.

The problem, imo, was related to either the equipment on board the aircraft or perhaps the crew rating (experience/training) in certain conditions such as storm and or darkness when landing at a none standard runway. Cannot quite put my finger on it!

Good luck.
  • pcyuljr
    Options
    Thanks again Tyzap. I guess I'm kind of preempting them claiming the weather was EC, then me having to provide some form of rebuttal.

But for them to claim EC that would mean a large organisation lying in a court of law...;)

Just out of interest, I submitted my MCOL on the 17th September, 4 weeks this Sunday.

What kind of timescales should I be looking at? I assumed it was two weeks for them to provide their defence to the court, which does seem quite short a period.

I've so far only had a simple acknowledgment from the law firm representing Jet2 where they asked for my e-mail (provided - nothing heard back from them).
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They have 2 weeks from papers being served to either respond and submit a defene or respond and seek additional 2 weeks before defence in. You should be able to check progress online if its MCOL.
    If they have defaulted on the prescribed timetables, you can seek judgement by default, in your favour.
    They can then seek to have this setaside, but need good reason for not adhering to the times/dates set by the court.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Tyzap
    Options

But for them to claim EC that would mean a large organisation lying in a court of law...;)

They lied to me over the same matter, so I don't see why you should get away with it:)

Seriously tho, they have form. Not that they are different to any of the other airlines.

I took them through the courts over the definition of an EC, and they were eventually forced to compensate me. They, of all the airlines, should know the exact definition of an EC, following those court cases, which also created a precedent that all courts are now obliged follow.

I have every confidence in your case.

Good luck.
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Options
    I've so far only had a simple acknowledgment from the law firm representing Jet2 where they asked for my e-mail (provided - nothing heard back from them).

I'd add that you can agree service of documents via email if you wish the 2birds normally agree to this and it can save you costs in posting everything signed for, you can also submit some documents to your local County Court via email.

Cheers

NoviceAngel
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • legal_magpie
    Options
    I would NEVER agree to service by email. Anything can go wrong. You may not get the email. The attachment may be too big and you may have to print it off.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback