PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• Hopeless_Case
    Options
    mrssd wrote: »
    Hopeless Case: Watch your dogs eating aliums (onion, garlic, leeks etc) as it is poisonous to them. Having said that, we once had a Staffie/Jack Russell cross who ate absolutely ANYTHING and, if it didn't agree with him, returned it from whence it came, or - as was more usual - threw up on the kitchen floor. I can't leave bananas in reach as the mutt loves them. Same with blueberries. He's also good at hoovering up frozen peas that I regularly manage to spill. NOTE TO SELF: seal the bl**dy bag before putting back in the freezer.
    Thanks, that's good advice, I knew that onions and garlic were poisonous to dogs, but it hadn't occurred to me that chives also were! He's a menace really, he stands by my feet when I'm cooking and anything which I drop is gone in a flash, so I have to be so careful - he has eaten bits of garlic skin and things like mushrooms and bits of potato, which I know are also bad for dogs, before I could stop him, so I really have to be on my guard. My spaniels are fussy, gentle eaters so his arrival has been quite a culture shock :rotfl:

He also pounced on and ate my other dog's worm tablet once - I'd pushed it into cheese but he still managed to eat the cheese and spit the tablet, and Mr Pug was on it in a flash. I was worried at first but thankfully as it wasn't an overdose! I swear I could just drop his tablet into his open mouth and he'd eat it without even questioning what it was :rotfl: but lesson learned, I shut him in the other room when worming the others now!
    I can relate to you not being able to get the freezer top closed. HINT: a 4 pack of beans and a 4 pack of tomatoes on the lid helps!
    Sadly it's an upright freezer so I have to stare at the seal and make sure it's closed then just push if it isn't :rotfl:
  • maisymoo5
    maisymoo5 Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    In
    nothing

Out
    1 chicken breast
    pack of chicken mince
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Another no shop day today (even though I was tempted to get out of the house:D) so nothing IN

OUT - 1 carton YS Chicken, Mushroom & Rice Soup, salad bits

FINISH - Carton of Eggs, packet of ham, pork pie.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not much movement in the in/out department over the past couple of days as out for lunch today
    Yesterday & today

In: beef stock
    Out: chicken breast, tinned tomatoes

Used up: radishes, cream cheese, spring onions
  • Hopeless_Case
    Options
    Big YS deals yesterday - great for the budget, but not for emptying the freezer!

Out: 2 pitta breads, bagel, 3 slices pastrami, handful of blackcurrants

In: Loads of cherries; large piece of YS cod cut into 9 portions; large piece of YS salmon cut into 6 portions
  • dannie
    dannie Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi mrssd,

Yes, I've found it handy to label and also, to have separate notes about what food "stocks" are in the house. My recipes made are usually additionally described as what they seem like to me (e.g. sweet, savoury, very nice, not keen etc.) If a recipe does not seem appealing, I usually want to "improve" it quickly. It usually works!
  • mrssd
    mrssd Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    He also pounced on and ate my other dog's worm tablet once - I'd pushed it into cheese but he still managed to eat the cheese and spit the tablet, and Mr Pug was on it in a flash. I was worried at first but thankfully as it wasn't an overdose! I swear I could just drop his tablet into his open mouth and he'd eat it without even questioning what it was :rotfl: but lesson learned, I shut him in the other room when worming the others now!
    I didn't know pugs were such gannets! Wish the mutt would take his tablet. It doesn't matter what I hide it in, he manages to avoid it.
    Sadly it's an upright freezer so I have to stare at the seal and make sure it's closed then just push if it isn't :rotfl:
    You could always take the baskets out for a bit more room:D I had that "bright idea" for the kitchen freezer. I opened the door and everything cascaded all over the kitchen.
  • dannie
    dannie Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not been out since last Sunday, so no local (food) shopping. This may be "helped" because my usual preferred transport (i.e. bicycle) to the shops is still broken. Nevertheless, plenty of black currants from the garden are being collected and frozen.
  • mrssd
    mrssd Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hopeless Case: I know it is probably somewhere, but I'm still learning to drive this forum: What is "YS" in your posts?
  • Hopeless_Case
    Options
    mrssd wrote: »
    Hopeless Case: I know it is probably somewhere, but I'm still learning to drive this forum: What is "YS" in your posts?

It's 'yellow sticker' :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure