PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• dannie
    dannie Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hopeless Case - I meant that the items were unavailable so not sent. The store also sent an email before the delivery arrived informing me of this.
  • mrssd
    mrssd Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    NOTE: There has been a recall on certain brands of frozen sweetcorn and products containing it. I don;t know how to post a link, but worth checking if you have any in the freezer. It shouldn't really be a problem if you cook it, but I often take out a handful to use without cooking.
  • maisymoo5
    maisymoo5 Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I saw the recall - 4 people have died so I would defo take anything you have with sweetcorn in it back to the store. Lucky for me, I can't stand the stuff.

In
    nothing

Out
    sausage meat
    shortcrust pastry
    monkfish cheeks
    2 x chicken burgers
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    out 1 M&S Sourdough type GF loaf, handful of onions and spinach to make a bolognaise type sauce with the last of the beef joint.

Used up the last of the tomatoes, new potatoes, an avocado and a packet each of bolognaise mix and a large sachet of tomato sauce from an enchillada kit.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,092 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In: nothing
    Out: peri peri marinade
    Used up: hard boiled egg, 1/2 a pepper, LO new potatoes
  • mrssd
    mrssd Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just finished in the kitchen...
    The pastrami was a success and we had it with some dill pickles and a potato salad with the rest of the ciabatta from lunchtime, plus a few other bits that needed using up.

I've bottled the ducks legs for later in the year and made a moussaka for tomorrow.

Managed to barter the corned beef and teabags for a rather nice lettuce, spring onions, radishes, some greenhouse tomatoes and a couple of courgettes that are almost marrows.

On the way back, popped into Morrisons for more garlic, but I also 2 kgs of strawberries for £4 - and that is all I bought! Result on both counts (cheap strawberries and sticking to what I went in for). The strawberries are in the maslin pan with sugar from the food mountain and will macerate overnight. I've everything ready and I'll add some lemon juice tomorrow, boil up and get into the jars. I'm doing a cream tea in a couple of weeks to help a local charity, so the jam (or some of it) will come in handy then. The rest will be eaten: mostly by me.

Right. Off to watch Corrie on catch-up and then to bed. Exhausted!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Had pork cheeks and veg from freezer last night, lamb chops and veg (freezer) tonight, Thai style chciken & soya beans for veg (freezer) tomorrow. Am cooking about half doz jmedium jkt spuds in SC today to put in freezer for when I get back home from operation. Am doing a mystery shop job on Sunday and an item which has been on my wish list (when I went there again and had room) is sriracha steaks (they were soo good when I had before) and habanero chick thighs, these are on offer so happy to buy them now. Gradually using older stuff from freezers but did put 6 portions of soup in yesterday (that makes about 2 weeks worth) and some yoghurt buns (15) some of them had a glace cherry on top so just have about 1/3 big pot jog left to use up. Used the mozz (before it explodes) and need to use the feta. Some cooking bacon to go with I think the Italian potatoes so fridge is clearing too. Checked my sweetcorn and mixed frozen veg and am OK with them. Will boil some eggs for snacks over the next few days. Op. day approaching. Well done mrsd you have really started on your mountain and encouraged me too thanks.
  • Need2bthrifty
    Need2bthrifty Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This week =
    In – 8 slices of bread, 4 bread rolls.

Out –
    chicken & mushroom lasagne
    white sauce
    sliced gammon
    garlic bread slices
    salmon fillet
    pork & black bean chilli
    ½ an avocado
    3 large handfuls green beans
    Tin of condensed mushroom soup
    6 LMc red onion and rosemary sausages
    ½ tin borlotti beans
    ½ tin cannellini beans
    pkt Schwartz seasoning

First time I've had LMc sausages and I didn't like them too much, also the Schwartz seasoning ruined my bean casserole :mad: - binned leftovers (not very mse but no point taking up freezer space with stuff I wont eat :o)
  • maisymoo5
    maisymoo5 Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    When I was veggie for 26 years, I couldn't eat LMc sausages as they were so salty! I always stuck to quorn ones Need2bthrifty.

In
    12 mini magmums (got to be done)
    a sliced loaf of bread
    2 cheap pizzas

Out
    pack of sausages
    packet of prawns
  • dannie
    dannie Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dannie wrote: »
    For the first week of July, I aim to use up more previously prepared freezer stored batch cooked recipes. These make up three and will each have several servings. They are in the fridge and I have been using them yesterday and today.

I did not quite manage to use up the above recipes so have continued to do so today. Should be all gone by the end of tomorrow. They were the oldest from the freezer.

No weekend shopping done but have been picking (free) black currants from my own bush and one locally. Some of these are now in the freezer. Do not plan to go out shopping for quite awhile as my preferred transport (bicycle) is now broken.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback