PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• mrssd
    mrssd Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    dannie wrote: »
    Yes, I've found it handy to label and also, to have separate notes about what food "stocks" are in the house. My recipes made are usually additionally described as what they seem like to me (e.g. sweet, savoury, very nice, not keen etc.) If a recipe does not seem appealing, I usually want to "improve" it quickly. It usually works!
    Great idea re separate notes. I need to add a column to my spreadsheet. Thanks:T
  • mrssd
    Options
    That was a quick response. Thanks. Once I clear the backlog - in about 4 years, I reckon:( I intend to use the flash sales and reduced aisles a bit more savvy. Coupled with a proper record of what I have, it should work.
  • mrssd
    Options
    Ok. Planned for today.
    Got "Joe" his goosegog jam (2 jars) and his cottage pie. Looking forward to those blackcurrants! I need to find out if he has a freezer of some description, as it would make sense to give him a load of stuff all at once then he can decide what he wants to eat and when. I could also deliver it (he must be local as he has a bike) rather than it sitting in his allotment shed defrosting. I been thinking a lot about him and it would be no big deal for me to make up a little extra single portion each time I cook and freeze it in readiness: it would also save OH from stuffing his face too much.

OUT OF FREEZER: sausages (for us); cottage pie and small crumble for "Joe".
    IN FREEZER: Courgette fritters. Also used up flour, eggs, spices etc from weekly store.
    IN STORE: 6 jars goosegog jam.
    OUT STORE: sugar for jam. Teabags.
  • maisymoo5
    maisymoo5 Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    What a generous idea mrsd. I think 'Joe' will be absolutely thrilled.

In

nothing

Out
    another chicken breast
  • Need2bthrifty
    Need2bthrifty Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Use up day yesterday – ½ tin each of cannellini and borlotti beans, the last sweaty carrot and ½ tub coleslaw. I made bean burger/patties – 1 to eat in a Portobello mushroom bun with some salad & coleslaw for dinner.

In – 6 mini bean patties.
    Out – broccoli soup for lunch & savoury mince for dinner, chicken breast x 2 (sc chicken curry tomorrow, yum)
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Shopping day today, we - I really mean I try not to go more often than every 10/14 days for main shop and top up with milk/bread/salad/veg in between at local shops.

Lots of INs of fridge and store essentials, but only 3 to go in freezer - lightly dusted haddock (2 portions), packet ready grated Mozzarella and a Viennetta for OH.

OUT from freezer Bara Brith.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • mrssd
    Options
    Oh, my...bara brith! Years since I've had that. I'll probably have to find a recipe and make some now. Of course, I won't eat it all myself:D
  • mrssd
    Options
    Joe gave me around 3lbs of blackcurrants, which I decided to freeze rather than turn into jam. We had some tonight and they really are delicious. I didn't get around to broaching the subject of delivering meals in bulk, but I have established that he has a big fridge/freezer and really only keeps one drawer full. I need to be careful how I bring it up, as I think he is quite proud.

The sausages out the freezer smelt a bit odd when they defrosted and I didn't want to risk eating them, so they got binned. Took out a small fish pie for him and cooked from frozen. I had some falafels from the freezer. He was a bit miffed, as he'd had tuna sarnies today, but perked up when I said there was a blackcurrant fool for pud. I even managed to slip in some Greek yogurt and he didn't notice. He hates yogurt.

Took out some venison bought in a flash sale for tomorrow. He hates venison, as well. Good job he thinks it's beef! I plan on cooking it with some of the blackcurrants. Joe is getting the other fish pie, which I take out in the morning. I've also found one of those insulated freezer bags I don't need, so I'll take Joe's stuff in that as I am concerned about it defrosting until he takes it home and perhaps going off.
  • mrssd
    Options
    maddiemay wrote: »
    Lots of INs of fridge and store essentials, but only 3 to go in freezer - lightly dusted haddock (2 portions), packet ready grated Mozzarella and a Viennetta for OH.

OUT from freezer Bara Brith.

If you freeze mozzarella, it is easier to grate. It's usually cheaper ungrated, but not always.
  • mrssd
    Options
    I've decided that the venison would be better eaten on a cold autumn day, rather than in the heat we are having at the moment, but I'll still put the lot into the slow cooker and then freeze it - properly labelled, of course - for later in the year. I'm going to do that with a lot of the meat in the freezer; cook and refreeze into suitable size portions. As I am eating less meat these days and becoming more of a natural veggie, it makes sense, but I will never get OH to that stage: he thinks Quorn is a place not far from us where they still hold a hunt! I tried him on it a couple of times (quorn: not hunting) and he would not eat it, even although I didn't tell him what it was. He's having a pizza tonight with a salad (got to use some salad stuff up rather than bin).

OUT OF FREEZER: rest of the venison to cook and refreeze. Pizza dough. Joe's fish pie. Bread. Bag of fruit salad. Large bag of coffee beans.
    FROM STORE: passatta for pizza and rest in venison. Tin of corned beef for OH and Co's sarnies. Jar of pickle.

Have a good day, everyone. I'm going to tackle my ironing this afternoon, as I haven't done any since [STRIKE]Christmas[/STRIKE] for over a week, apart from essentials. I've decided I iron too much and from now on, tea towels and sheets will no longer be done and I am wondering if I can get away with leaving OH's copious amount of t-shirts. I hate ironing.:(
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback