Advice on buying multi Fuel Stove

Options
Hi, this is my first post so bear with me
I presently have an open fire which doesnt give off enough heat for my liking & everyone raves about multifuel stoves. I am looking at buying upto 6 -7kw stove. I have been on websites galore & am left completely baffled. Prices vary from £300 - £1500 and apart form some being cast iron /steel; some having combination grates; some having fire bricks, I am left none the wiser.:confused:

Can anybody please recommend a stove, what works best, is effective as well as traditional looking.
Many thanks for any help

Comments

• Angua2
    Angua2 Posts: 673 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya. Can completely understand why you're feeling confused! My suggestion is to perhaps start with prioritising the reasons/qualities of solid fuel stove:
    * better heat output
    * cheapness/availability of fuel
    * cost of stove & installation & maintenance
    * aesthetics

You might think about contacting local CAB for advice - there are lots of organisations that are governmental, independent or quasi-indie....

If your situation allows, you might be able to make use of the flue pipe itself to radiate more heat, too....

Good luck! I'm thinking about doing the same.
    Still waiting for Dyson to bring out a ride-on hoover...
    Memberships:
    Bad Alba Mothers Purchase Only Tanqueray
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry, Poppycat, I'm afraid you are wrong about the problems with some Chinese stoves. Most cheap Chinese stoves are made of cast iron and that is the trouble, with them - poorly cast iron is prone to cracking and other problems.

Steel is a perfectly good material for a stove, as long as it is correctly chosen and it is a feature of some of the best stoves made in the UK - for example, Villager, Hunter and others.
  • Angua2
    Angua2 Posts: 673 Forumite
    Options
    Found a pertinent on Navitron with links and all sorts.
    Still waiting for Dyson to bring out a ride-on hoover...
    Memberships:
    Bad Alba Mothers Purchase Only Tanqueray
  • Igol
    Igol Posts: 434 Forumite
    Options
    You probably dont need your chimney lining as you've already got a class 1 flue, sweep will inspect and confirm that if you dont want to take the risk.

Which one? Take your pick off the HETAS list. Personally I went for a Villager stove. Price was good its a UK firm and the local supplier was reccomended to me the previous year.
    I'm more than happy with it, heats a tank in 20 mins and a lot more efficient than the open fire was. Also burns a lot cleaner and chimney only required sweeping once instead of twice a year and there wasn that much soot either :)
  • CountryGirl_2
    Options
    Thanks folks for your information.

I am going to a showroom 'fair' with lots of big names atending in September so hopefilly I can also ask lots of questions & possibly get a good deal.

I will definitely contact my local sweep before then for any further advice.

I liked the look of the Hunter Herald 6, Villager Bayswater & Stovax Huntingdon - (its easier choosing a car).

This is now my second time on the site, so if I am doing or not doing something reight please let me know.icon7.gif
  • A._Badger
    Options
    Those are all good stoves, Country Girl - especially if you are looking for a no-nonsense, British-made, reliable model, without the decorative qualities of some of the more costly cast iron types.

If you get the chance, you might also want to have a look at Yeoman stoves. They are made by the Stovax group and, again, offer excellent value for money (I speak as an owner of one - not the manufacturer!).

Please let us know how you get on.
  • Beatrice_2
    Beatrice_2 Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Ive read this thread and can anyone advise me please? I too am after installing a 4kw multi fuel stove. I have an existing real fire place (which I've never used in 9 years) but am thinking of installing a multi fuel stove to save on gas consumption. I've been quoted a cost of £1395 for the stove, the chimney lining and to "make do". Installation charge is free if the work is carried out in April. Is this a good deal?

Looking on line, it seems the stoves can vary in price but most 4kw stoves are about £350 £500 in price, so the cost of £1395 seems a bit steep to me.

Will the chimney need to be lined? If not, is the stove still as efficient?

The stove the guy quoted is a Firewarm 4 stove made of cast iron.

I have absolutely no idea if the Firewarm 4 is a good make. I have no idea of how to install this myself so need to pay someone to do it. The house is a link detached with the fireplace on one gable end. The idea is that using the fire would save on gas. Last year's gas consumption (march 08 to Mar 09) was £720. Are these stoves worth it? Is the heat output worth it?

I'm a total novice so any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Beatrice
  • A._Badger
    Options
    Don't assume solid fuel will be much cheaper to use than gas, Beatrice. The vast price hikes in the cost of gas and oil have made a lot of people look for alternatives - but both coal and smokeless fuel suppliers have (shamefully) floated their prices up accordingly and it cannot be assumed they are cheaper to use.

If you factor in the cost of the stove and the fitting, even if solid fuel does work out cheaper, it might take you a very long while to get your money back - let alone save any.

There are lots of reasons why stoves are fabulous things to have. Sadly, saving money isn't always one of them.
  • becisim
    Options
    My partner and I are in the process of buying a house which currently has a Jotul 3 woodburner installed - however we have just found out they are taking the stove when they move.

Does anyone know what we will have to pay for? Obviously I am assuming the price of a new stove but wasn't sure what installation we would require as I am assuming the chimney is all ready to go as it has been used with a woodburner before?

Also, the current one is only a wood burner and we would want a multifuel - would this mean having to change the flue?

Any advice appreciated!
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Ask the sellers when it was installed - if they had it done properly since 1.4.2002 there should be documentation and a data plate which would give all the details of the lining.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure