Cheery's country living adventure

Options

Comments

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Ha, hope your discussion sank in for next time RT! :rotfl:

Nice day here. Tried to do a bit of dry stone wall dismantling but it was SO windy - I was well wrapped up but dust and soil kept blowing in my eyes and I got sick of taking my gloves off to sort it out, so declared an indoor cosy day instead :j

We had a quick nip to the charity shops, then were contemplating a new restaurant (we're still mourning the loss of our old favourite which closed in October supposedly for refurbishment for a week but never opened again). Instead we decided on "restaurant at home" so had a nice wander round @ldi buying treats :j Mr Cheery is having a kind of brocolli thai green curry with tuna steaks, and I'm having spinach and ricotta pasta with tomato and basil sauce and walnuts :j

Did a bit of normal shopping while we were in there, and bits of food for work, but I reckon dinner will cost less than a tenner for both of us, including wine :rotfl: :rotfl: :money:
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    Evening MSE chums :hello:

Well, our nice Restaurant at Home experience was augmented by a couple of friends who were unexpectedly driving through our nearest town on the way home from visiting family and asked if they could pop in :j :j I LOVE impromptu visitors :j Well, mostly :rotfl:

As it happens, I've been following Flylady pretty consistently all year :rotfl: so far, so the bits of the house that aren't a building site look pretty reasonable, and because we were having Restaurant at Home, we had the table all set nicely and nice music on, and we always have candles lit in the evening, and (sshhhhh) the Christmas tree is still up :o so everything felt lovely and cosy and I felt like a Proper Homemaker or something :rotfl: :rotfl:

(Of course these particular friends have seen us in every state so they didn't for a second believe that we always spend evenings like that :rotfl: but the illusion was nice for a while :rotfl: )

Anyway, Monday night is finances night! :j :j I have an appointment with Mr Cheery and a film on the sofa at 7pm :rotfl: and I want a shower before then, and to sort out clothes for tomorrow etc (got to keep up with those before bed routines!) so best get cracking.

First up - YNAB :money: Only did it a week ago so shouldn't take too long...

Then I want to investigate savings accounts, and ring the mortgage people for a budget (actually I should check what time they shut first in case it's 6pm)

Ready, steady, GO! :j
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    Right - YNAB done and dusted :money: Keeping up with the app and tracking is making it a LOT easier :j Only had to put £5.63 of cash down as budget fiddling this week :o :rotfl: Not too worried - especially as I suspect some of it is in the pocket of my coat :rotfl:

Started looking at savings accounts... Yawn.

Seems the best option might be to open a new Post Office saving account at 1.3% interest, then drop feed £500 a month into a Coventry Building Society regular saver (2.5%,) until the savings run out. This is rather less complex than what I did last year, when I had two new current accounts and two new regular savers :o :rotfl:

Trying to work out if there's a reason Mr Cheery and I can't both have separate regular saver accounts with Coventry??

Anyway, not going to open them all tonight - and I'm trying to get over my annoyance with the Post Office that I have to enter ALL my details again to open a completely new account, then close the old one and transfer the dosh. Why can't they just open a new one with my existing details?! If there was somewhere else with a similar interest rate I'd go there instead out of principle :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    Right - new Post Office account opened - and it was actually pretty easy, they recognised me as soon as I clicked 'submit' and let me close the old account and transfer the dosh to the new one straight away - and have paid the annual interest of £13.83 too :money: I stupidly clicked the monthly interest button on the new one, so have got 1.29% rather than 1.3% which might lose me about 20p over the year - I can live with that :rotfl:

Will leave the Coventry one til the two regular savers come to an end which isn't til 8th Feb. Feels good to have sorted it though! :j :j

On a roll now, and Mr Cheery has delayed the start of our sofa appointment by 30 mins so I'm going to ring up for a mortgage balance

And the question is - do I add another £10 onto the monthly payments so it feels like I'm paying *something* extra, or is £919.99 enough already :eek:
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    Ok, balance is now at £198,300 (well, to the nearest £100 at least which is the closest our building society can manage :rotfl: ) Slightly lower than my spreadsheet says anyway :j

Coming down nicely - it was £215,000 when we moved :eek: So very nice to see it with a 1 at the front - even if it will have a 1 at the front for another 10 years :o :rotfl: :rotfl:

Also upped the monthly payment to £930 as of next month - which should see us paying it off 3 months early and saving a grand total of £1847 :money:

I should get a pay rise in August (and I'm crossing my fingers for a promotion in the autumn!) so will up it slightly again after that :money:
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Coming down nicely - it was £215,000 when we moved :eek: So very nice to see it with a 1 at the front - even if it will have a 1 at the front for another 10 years :o :rotfl: :rotfl:

Also upped the monthly payment to £930 as of next month - which should see us paying it off 3 months early and saving a grand total of £1847 :money:
    These are both fantastic changes :) well done you.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 14 January 2020 at 2:00PM
    Options
    I absolutely LOVED making the ongoing small increases to the monthly payment Cheery - it really felt that we were achieving something each month rather than just when a bigger lump sum payment was possible! And YES to the various milestones along the way too - changing the leading figure, knocking another 10k increment off, 10% chunks off the original balance...! It all really helped to keep the motivation going as it meant we were constantly celebrating small wins.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    Thanks folks :j :j

Good point about different milestones - won't be too long before we've paid off 10% :money: that will be [Cheery counts on fingers] £21,500 and if we're currently at £198,300 that means [Cheery counts on toes] we've already paid off

[CHEERY ADMITS DEFEAT AND RESORTS TO CALCULATOR WHILE INSISTING IF SHE HAD PEN AND PAPER SHE'D MANAGE]

:o :rotfl:

£4,800 to go til we've paid off 10% (we'll be down to £193,500 - I think :o ]

So if we stick to £930 a month, we'll be down to £193,650 after June's payment...

... which makes me think we can cobble together an extra £150 by June so we can get to 10% off :money: :money:

Next milestone though is to get down to £195,000 - we'll have paid off £20,000 in total then, and that should happen in, er... May :j

Of course I'm ignoring the fact that the real mortgage amount was something entirely ludicrous like £214,983.40 :rotfl:

This is entirely my fault :o :rotfl: building society would only cover 10 acres of land, our house has slightly more so I had to calculate the value of the extra to split the title deed and buy that field separately (apologies if you were round back then and remember the whole sorry saga :o )

I just went on average prices for this type of land, divided it by the exact number of acres, and didn't round up. Nobody said anything until the final days when the mortgage had been issued as a round number and the solicitor had to demand a letter from building society saying they wouldn't quibble over the 40p difference :o:o :rotfl:

I count it as £215,000 which means I'm always a couple of quid ahead of myself :rotfl:
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,898 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Great calculations (no chance of me doing that without a calculator) and love the random mortgage amount! :rotfl:
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    themadvix wrote: »
    Great calculations (no chance of me doing that without a calculator) and love the random mortgage amount! :rotfl:
    Seconded! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport