Comments

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,738 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 4 February 2020 at 4:46PM
    Options
    So - timings :j :j

2.30-3.30: Home
    Going to put on Flylady's 'weekly home blessing' podcast which should spur me on to get all the household tasks done!
    * change sheets
    * [STRIKE]hoover downstairs[/STRIKE]
    * [STRIKE]hoover bedroom[/STRIKE]
    * sort out bathroom drawers (they're so full they're quite difficult to shut and it's annoying )
    * [STRIKE]dust

[/STRIKE]3.30-3.45: Chickens
    * [STRIKE]poo pick[/STRIKE]
    * sprinkle mite powder in bedding (and put the rest in the garage)
    * [STRIKE]sit and have a cup of tea with them[/STRIKE]

3.45-5.15: Admin
    * find envelope and stamp for friend's letter
    * print and fill in membership form for local group
    * banks and YNAB
    * transfer savings to PO account
    * open new savings accounts
    * ring boiler man again to arrange visit
    * comparison for house insurance
    * comparison for car insurance

5.15-6.15: Tea
    * Make tea
    * Wash up
    * Find knitting needles
    * Bit of MBing while doing other things

6.15-7.30: Bath!
    * nice long bath with a book :j :j :j and then straight into my dressing gown :j :j

7.30 onwards
    * bit of flute playing
    * Call the Midwife and knitting :j

I reckon that sounds like an EXCELLENT afternoon and evening :j :j :j Let's see how much of it actually gets done :rotfl: :rotfl:

Right - Mr Cheery has just left :j :j (I do like the man really :rotfl: I just NEEDED a bit of time on my own :o:o ) Ready, steady, GO! :j
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    ...Right - Mr Cheery has just left :j :j (I do like the man really :rotfl: I just NEEDED a bit of time on my own :o:o ) Ready, steady, GO! :j

Cheery - I completely get where you are coming from!!!:D

I'm so thankful that OH has a nap in the afternoon - means he's upstairs in bed & I have the whole house to myself to enjoy the blissful QUIET! Even though I'm working from home this afternoon mostly on the computer, it still is great to have a break from the 'noise' of another person!!!:j:j:j
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    Ha RT, glad it's not just me :o I just really don't get time on my own very often :o Either I'm at work, or we're both together (or I'm off doing something else - but not often by myself). He has the opposite problem and spends far too much time on his own :o

I'm not even doing anything exciting :o :rotfl: But it's QUIET and TIDY and I LOVE it :j :j :o:o

Anyway, several financial things appearing through banks inspection that I need to sort out

* @mazon prime membership has gone out - thought I'd cancelled that after the free trial?!
    * professional organisation membership seems to have gone out too - thought I'd checked bank to make sure I had no DD or standing order set up? Quite annoyed about this one - I kept meaning to ring them and check I didn't have a renewal and never quite got round to it :o It's £153 so quite significant :eek: :eek: Will ring and see if they'll let me off, or at least cancel the self-renewal thing for next year! :eek:

In spendy news - we've got our eye on a sink on auction which finishes tonight... Going to wait for the last few minutes til bidding so have set a reminder for later. Writing it here to help cement it in my head to remember to put a bid in! :rotfl:
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wanting time on your own is *so* recognisable to me, and I *live* on my own :o:D:p :rotfl:
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    Right - both of those things easily dealt with :j :j

Cancelled @mazon prime (properly this time) and as the payment only went out yesterday, there was an option for 'cancel now and refund my £7.99' so I've done that :money:

The other payment I've realised was for Mr Cheery's national insurance contributions when he did his tax return :rotfl: :rotfl: Quite ambiguous - it was just labelled SA which could actually have stood for the name of the professional association in question - but it seems actually stands for 'Self Assessment' :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    Oops missed you there KC, sorry! Yes I do think everyone needs a bit of time on their own! I do get some of course, although it's often in the car which doesn't seem to be quite the same :o

Right - banks done, YNAB done, money transferred for accommodation at event in March, and actual event booked too (I'd forgotten to do that :o :rotfl: ) Train tickets already booked and paid for - but I DO need to remember to collect them from the train station in advance, just in case...

Tea is already in the oven (I had a filling breakfast but didn't have lunch so I'm proper peckish now) so I'm going to sneak in a couple of little tasks before that's ready, and shut the chickens in (if they've gone to bed, that is!) and then see if I can get in the bath while it's still a bit light - somehow that feels like a proper treat :j :j
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    YAWN house insurance YAWN :o:o:o:o

God I HATE messing about with comparison sites :o:o:o:o I know I shouldn't say that, but I HATE it. Insurance is the absolute worst - I am SO paranoid about missing something and accidentally being uninsured :o

Still, I've just done a little bit of comparisoning...

Last year buildings & contents were £225 (we pay annually) - renewal quote is £290 :eek: Not sure why it's gone up so much. Also not convinced they have my nectar card number as I don't seem to have been getting extra points... :mad:

I might ring and be brave and try to haggle :o

Checked M&S - I love it that they don't ask me complicated questions about trees etc :o :rotfl: They want £400 though.

Cheapest through comparison site is £221 - although their website is down and apparently you can't buy through them at the minute. Also that won't cover the various bits and pieces we've got added into the policy for insuring outside the home, so I imagine that will bump it up.

Mind you, the current one has a couple of things slightly wrong - it says we don't have locks on all the windows when in fact we do. Also says we don't have any trees more than 10m high within 5m of the house, and while I've not done any measuring, there are several in the garden and I can't swear as to their height - one of the main reasons for going with M&S when we first moved as they don't ask such awkward questions...

As I said - YAWN. Not even started on car insurance yet (although somehow that feels more straightforward). Quite a jump in renewal cost with them too from £421 last year to £490 this year :eek: I suppose that's still not too bad for 2 cars (including commuting etc) although it is only third party, fire and theft.

Urgh. YAWN. I suppose it is half ten so I'd probably be yawning even if I wasn't doing this :o:o :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Going to sleep on it and sort it another day :o
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    ...Going to sleep on it and sort it another day :o

Good Plan!

I was pleasantly surprised this year when renewing our annual travel insurance! - it didn't go up at all! ...not one cent!!!:j:j:j I was lucky last year as work paid my half and medical portion for an extended business trip. - no such luck this year as new boss is still so fresh he likes having me in the office - lol

Doubt our other insurances will follow suit - next one renews May...
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Check the 5m distance on the trees - it's a lot less than you think! we have several trees quite close but NONE of them are even close to 5m away.

On the cars I assume you've checked that fully comp isn't actually cheaper? I seem to recall checking MrEH's on both types last year and it was cheaper to go with the fully comp. Ludicrous or what?!

Also get the time on my own thing COMPLETELY - I generally get Tuesday evenings to myself, and Saturday afternoons as well quite often. And no - time in the car is definitely NOT the same as you can';t use that time as you want, can you!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    I'll get the tape measure out at some point EH :applause: Not checked car insurance yet although I usually do. This last year was weird because I combined both cars onto one policy and then swapped the old car for the new one in the middle of the year too.

not sure I can face separating them again mind you! :rotfl:

Our union has called another 14 days of strikes :( That'll mean 22 days out in total within the space of about 6 months. I'm very thankful that we're not in a situation where this will tip us over the edge financially, but still.

On the plus side I might actually get round to doing the plastering... :o
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure