Outfox the Market reviews: add your feedback

Options

Comments

• jono1975
    Options
    Still waiting for my email from them from the meter readings they asked members to send if they want to not be ripped off with a new inflated estimate.

This reply from them on a review on trust pilot pretty much sums them up:

"I'm afraid that as much as we do want to help, we do need to introduce a winter uplift."

Even their grammar is bad. then later follow up with:

"We can appreciate this model does not work for everyone, and if you feel you need to leave we will, of course, make it as easy as possible for you. "

So they do not value their customers as proved in that sentense.
  • geoffplus
    Options
    Some people who cancelled their direct debits and have then tried to switch to a new supplier are reporting they have been blocked by OFTM because they owe them money (£1.19 in one recent case).

If they owe you money then it should not be a problem However, if they decide that you owe them money, and you have cancelled the direct debit, they can stop the transfer to a new supplier until you pay them. This is quite legal. You will need to contact them to check what you owe and arrange to pay it.
  • geoffplus
    Options
    OFTM state in their terms and conditions that late payments will be charged at £25 - not sure if this still applies when you are in credit. If you have no direct debit and they are due to bill you but can't, is this late payment?

Someone today who was due to switch to them, but cancelled their direct debit (outside of the 14 day cooling off period) has been charged £25 once the switch went through because OFTM could not take the first advance payment.

Interestingly, I had done the same after the direct debit email on 15 Nov, but then had a web chat where I agreed they could reinstate the direct debit (I have had to join so I can leave).

I was due to switch today, 20 Nov. No direct debit has been put in place by OFTM, so web chatted again today. I tell them I don't want a late payment charge so they say if direct debit not in place by tomorrow, I should call them and arrange payment.

I wonder what would have happened if I had not checked? Are they trying to use cancelled direct debits as a way of getting £25 late payments from people?
  • rudigarude
    Options
    I just thought I'd quickly post my experience/thinking of this so far. I'm actually with EconomySevenEnergy (Eco7), who have enacted this same winter/summer DD policy. I've actually not been able to find much "uproar" about Eco7 (they're not on twitter or anything and no-one really mentioned it on this forum). I've only just realised that under the OFTM posts we are all talking about the same thing, the same company/owners.

A couple of quick things. I moved over to them in May 2018 using CheapEnergyClub, there have been three price increases since (fair enough I guess). No gas at our property, 65% night usage, 45% day. Eco7 have increase my winter DD by 75% and decreased summer by 25% and it's clear this is an arbitrary figure and not based on my usage (as I've only been with them since May).

I checked CheapEnergyClub and noticed what the issue with comparing tariffs appears to be. When you create your current tariff profile and switch, and the supplier increases the price, a new tariff is created for that supplier on the CheapEnergyClub website, but you're not moved into it. Hence why it was telling me I had the cheapest supplier.

Practically speaking I don't have a huge problem with the varying winter/summer payments as I've already handled this with the way I budget monthly, however I'm more concerned about the reasoning and way they've done it. It clearly isn't for the customers benefit, it has to be a reaction to cash flow issues.

I'm also quite concerned that they will go bust. This is a terrible decision to make which I am sure will make lots of us who switch regularly move away, but those who can't absorb this change will have to switch. While I know there are OFGEM safeguards in case they fold, it's still not something you want to have to faff around with.

Finally, here is the kicker for me. They were recommended by CheapEnergyClub, and once you adjust the tariff to account for the rises as mentioned earlier they (at least for me) my tariff is only beaten (by about £40per year) by a supplier who only offers it with a new smart meter (which I don't want). So it's pretty competitive in my case.

I'm a little unsure what to do now. As I said, I don't really mind the bizarre DD policy if it is the reason they are competitive (which in my case they are) but the way they've handled this, I'm not convinced that this is going to blow over for them and with reports of terrible/inept customer service, dealing with them during a bust doesn't sound like fun.

If, rather than enacting only this policy, why not offer a variable DD too and let us pay what the monthly bill says?
  • dont_use_vistaprint
    Options
    Britlion wrote: »
    Energy club is recommending them as the top saving (with the caveat that they are new, so no feedback).

Lesson Learned :-)
    "It is not the critic who counts..." - Theodore Roosevelt
  • JamesCG26
    JamesCG26 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 November 2018 at 8:40PM
    Options
    geoffplus wrote: »
    Some people who cancelled their direct debits and have then tried to switch to a new supplier are reporting they have been blocked by OFTM because they owe them money (£1.19 in one recent case).

If they owe you money then it should not be a problem However, if they decide that you owe them money, and you have cancelled the direct debit, they can stop the transfer to a new supplier until you pay them. This is quite legal. You will need to contact them to check what you owe and arrange to pay it.

Your switch should not be blocked if you have been in debt for less than 28 days.
  • Looby77
    Options
    How do we vote them poor on Cheap Energy Club
  • hareng
    hareng Posts: 581 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unfortunately Loopy even with the recent price hikes and 6 month higher direct debit they are still cheaper than anyone else.
    In fact for us take the next 6 months at full whack inflated for that period about matches within £3 p.m the two next cheapest suppliers i can find.

I am on variable tariff if want to get out its £50 each.

What i dont like is paying more in the next 6 months or so. I prefer an even spread throghout the year building credit up during summer to cover winter higher usage.

On the other hand theres many companies that operate variable direct debit taking out what you owe the previous month ie BT.

I can understand the uncertainty of the supply chain and costing months in advance, just wish they had gone about hiking it up and reasons why rather than trying to hide it.

Tempted to ride it out next two weeks see if they crash and burn.
  • geoffplus
    Options
    Just an update on previous posts

People are saying on Trustpilot that they have been blocked from switching to another supplier because they cancelled their direct debit just before their switch to OFTM took place. This meant they were effectively in debt for one day. However, I believe that unless the debt is over 28 days old a supplier is not allowed to block a switch?

Also, another person saying that they cancelled their direct debit and applied to switch to another supplier, but even though they were in credit, when OFTM tried and failed to take their monthly payment, they charged them the £25 late payment fee.

I cannot say if these postings are correct, but these people would have no reason to make it up, and given OFTM's track record, I can believe it.
  • hareng
    hareng Posts: 581 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    geoffplus wrote: »
    given OFTM's track record, I can believe it.

I can think of dozens of UK energy suppliers of less desirable character, i have been with most at one time or another. Soon find out when they over estimate usage at swap over, 3 of them biggies.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback