Issue with neighbours- what would you do?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Buttermint
    Options
    Morning guys,

Well, I spoke to the landlord last night. I knew myself that if I didn't find out if they were going to be leaving soon it would just continue to stress me out.

Basically told him what was going on, again he was appreciative of us letting him know as he was about to advertise the property and would have had potential tenants coming for viewings with that smell in the house and who knows what sort of mess. He has already issued a notice to end the tenancy to the original tenants and they are all definitely out in the next week or two.

Unfortunately for him that may mean he now needs to wait until they actually leave so he can get in and get the place sorted before he can advertise it. He did say he would be speaking to them about the smoking too, which makes me a little nervous as they'll know it was us that said something so I worry about the repurcussions of how they might react. However, something had to be done so I'm still glad we said something. Hope the end is in sight now for this lot and we get a decent family in next time.

Thanks again for all the advice!
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    I had neighbours like that once.............I decided to do DIY. wash the car and mow my lawn not long after they went to bed.

They don't like it up em!!

Unless you washed your car in their bedroom, i cant see a hose annoying them much?

The problem with doing the whole mowing the lawn thing is it !!!!es off your other neighbours too when you really need to be standing together against said neighbour.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I think for his sake and your you need to ask him to personally interview any potential tenants so he knows exactly what he,s like to be getting. There are always unknowns of course but better than risk leaving it to chance.
  • Grezz24
    Grezz24 Posts: 232 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Buttermint wrote: »
    Morning guys,
    He did say he would be speaking to them about the smoking too, which makes me a little nervous as they'll know it was us that said something so I worry about the repurcussions of how they might react. However, something had to be done so I'm still glad we said something. Hope the end is in sight now for this lot and we get a decent family in next time.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Try not to worry about that. IF they do come knocking or start abusing you just inform them that you will be calling the police if they harass you any further. It sounds like within a month they will be out so just keep that in mind.

I agree about potentially meeting new tenants, how practical the landlord will see that is a different matter. If you dont see any movement etc dont be scared to call the landlord again.
  • Kevie192
    Kevie192 Posts: 1,146 Forumite
    Options
    You do realise that the landlord has told you a load of rubbish?

A landlord can't end a tenancy; it can only be ended by the tenant or by the court. A landlord can issue a 'Section 21' which is essentially 2 months notice after which they can then apply to the courts for possession. This will then reach the court eventually and either be granted or not. The whole thing typically can take upwards of 6 month even for simple cases.

Him suggesting he had given then 'one months notice' suggests to me that he has no idea what he's doing as a landlord and that potentially he's made other errors that would even get the case thrown out in court.

I really hope that they just leave and all is good from then on, but I wanted to make sure you were prepared that this could end up not being the end.
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If the smell of cannabis is still strong - phone the police!
  • pickledonionspaceraider
    Options
    A Section 21 notice must always give your tenants at least 2 months’ notice to leave your property.

https://www.gov.uk/evicting-tenants/section-21-and-section-8-notices
    With love, POSR <3
  • Buttermint
    Options
    We are based in NI so think it's slightly different. He has issued a notice to quit with 28 days notice as per;

https://www.housingadviceni.org/advice-landlords/issuing-notice-quit

Technically he didn't have to as the original tenants breached the tenancy agreement by subletting without permission but he did anyway.

Smell is still disgusting. Not long to go hopefully until they are gone :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport