Barking mad relatives!

Options

Comments

• ouraggie
    ouraggie Posts: 291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My brother and most of his children find it hilarious that we happily wash up by hand, don't have or want Sky, only use my phone data if no WiFi available and are still driving the same car we bought (cash) in 2012. I would be offended by their "jokes" if they weren't related to me.
    Last week I went out with my brother. He happily paid £3.00 to park in a pay-and-display even though I pointed out it was after 6.30 so he could now park on the road 6 feet away for nothing! When we got back to his house he told his wife. She said "Still, good thing about you being a tighta*se, he (indicating my brother) will be quids in when you carp it". I didn't mention that I will be leaving most of my fortune to charities!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    ouraggie wrote: »
    My brother and most of his children find it hilarious that we happily wash up by hand, don't have or want Sky, only use my phone data if no WiFi available and are still driving the same car we bought (cash) in 2012. I would be offended by their "jokes" if they weren't related to me.
    Last week I went out with my brother. He happily paid £3.00 to park in a pay-and-display even though I pointed out it was after 6.30 so he could now park on the road 6 feet away for nothing! When we got back to his house he told his wife. She said "Still, good thing about you being a tighta*se, he (indicating my brother) will be quids in when you carp it"
    I didn't mention that I will be leaving most of my fortune to charities!
    What a shocking thing to say. Bad enough to even think it, let alone articulate it.
    Make sure that will is unchallengeable.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    “ Families ! When we moved from Armed Forces married quarters into our own home (edge of a National Park) one of my aunts rubbed her hands together and said 'ooh - lovely - free holidays!'
    Originally posted by Silvertabby

Pollycat wrote: »
    And I'm sure you disabused her of that notion. :)
    What was her reaction?

Not happy. She rang to say that she, her (painter and decorator) husband and the 2 kids would love to 'see' us for a week or two during the school summer holidays. I told her that Mr S and I would be working long hours, but would be happy to offer B&B in return for 2 weeks of her husband's decorating skills. She went off the idea.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Not happy. She rang to say that she, her (painter and decorator) husband and the 2 kids would love to 'see' us for a week or two during the school summer holidays. I told her that Mr S and I would be working long hours, but would be happy to offer B&B in return for 2 weeks of her husband's decorating skills. She went off the idea.

:rotfl: :T
    Priceless.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    When we first moved here from another county 20+ years ago, several younger members of my brother's family decided that they could visit for holidays near the coast. When the first one asked by phone, I said "Why? You have never visited any of the homes we lived in over there, so why should we accept your company now?"

I had some quite bad press on FB, so I put the full story on there. Many old friends gave their backing to my words. Some of those have visited us here, just as they visited us in our former home.

You can choose your friends, but as for family...
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 March 2019 at 9:53PM
    Options
    Your relative reminds me of an acquaintance of mine who's been thoroughly spoilt ( stupidly rich) in some parts of her life, and has a natural sense of entitlement.
    She moves from friend to friend, sponging off them, creating a victim narrative, hardly ever paying rent, well she promises too but then claims she can't afford it, taking advantage of their good natures through her manipulative nature.
    I've heard her use the excuse " everything's not about money, it's about friendship" while she leaves a trail of unpaid debts going back years.
  • Elinore
    Elinore Posts: 259 Forumite
    edited 27 March 2019 at 7:52AM
    Options
    Hi Polycat - ah, yes the caravan issue.

Do you know I'm still in the dog house for that? because I didn't turn up at the wedding. I said why would I? I had been UNINVITED!

Apparently, it was expected of me to still make an effort and go anyway to clear the air. Everyone was keyed up for a big dramatic flare-up followed by a huge makeup scene and then drunken declarations of family first while hugging on the dance floor.

So i stand by the barking mad title of the thread lol

Ps the wee lass was barely a legal adult, rather shy and seemed genuinely baffled why she had been ushered on a bus. The toddler was just an adorable rolly polly giggler. The loose plan seemed to be she would stay home during the day, work in the evenings while staypuft was asleep and no bother - we wouldn't even know she was there. Aunty had been vague on the details.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5882207 for the ins and outs of the caravan feud, should anyone want to know
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Elinore wrote: »

Do you know I'm still in the dog house for that? because I didn't turn up at the wedding. I said why would I? I had been UNINVITED!

Apparently, it was expected of me to still make an effort and go anyway to clear the air. Everyone was keyed up for a big dramatic flare-up followed by a huge makeup scene and then drunken declarations of family first while hugging on the dance floor.

Ps the wee lass was barely a legal adult, rather shy and seemed genuinely baffled why she had been ushered on a bus. The toddler was just an adorable rolly polly giggler. The loose plan seemed to be she would stay home during the day, work in the evenings while staypuft was asleep and no bother - we wouldn't even know she was there. Aunty had been vague on the details.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5882207 for the ins and outs of the caravan feud, should anyone want to know

Oh my goodness I remember this so well. I'm so pleased you didn't go to the wedding in the end. Sounds like it would have been rather eventful.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Elinore wrote: »

I bet you're so glad you didn't go to the wedding.
    What a bizarre way to collectively think!
    I agree 100% - barking mad, the lot of them.
    But I also stand by my character assessment of your Aunt:
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Your Aunt is not 'barking mad'.
    She is a rude, thoughtless, presumptuous person.
    (as well as barking mad) ;)
    Glad you appear to be keeping your sense of humour.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,924 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    For some unexplainable reason I only ever have one bed (mine) in whatever property I have and a sofa unsuitable to sleep on.

When my ex purchased his house we had the discussion about his sister and kids being dropped on us if they came over. That 3 bed house had one bedroom, an office and a large dressing room upstairs to avoid having overnight guests.......

My current two bed flat has one bedroom, a large dressing room / office and a lounge/ art studio; mind you not many people want to share with a greyhound and a cat.

Will do the same when I get my own place!

I would help friends in an hour of need, but family is another matter.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure