PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Options

Comments

• crazytree
    crazytree Posts: 72 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All.
    I've not posted for a while, I definitely need this thread to keep me updated n track! A fair few end-of-loaves have started creating new lifeforms while I've not been looking! I'm normally really good at freezing them for future bread pudding!
    I have sliced and frozen most of the pepper mountain to stop them going soft so I'll be able to chuck a few into stews and curries easily.
    I made black banana cake from some bananas that Himself had beaten up at work and not eaten. I think he might do it on purpose coz it's one of his favourites!
    Making braised beef in ginger for dinner, I'll add some of those peppers and some mushrooms to use them up.
    I love your way of doing things Gem-gem! One dinner making loads of different ones. I try to do this but I'm never as successful as that! I do use leftover pastry for jam tarts though. If I'm using puff pastry I make cinnamon whirls!
    Tx
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Good evening everyone.

Yah, boo sucks - a piece of cheese the size of a match box was furry - so was binned. I do not mind cutting off mould but NOT fur :eek: and I was doing so well :o

Tonight was Hm potato & Stilton soup with hm croutons & hm Stilton & bacon scones - DELICIOUS :drool: Finished the potatoes, used most of the Stilton & 2 onions, croutons from freezer & the last of the scone dough from freezer. Plenty of soup for two meals for two people tomorrow & lunch on Thursday :j The last two onions have been peeled & sliced and put in two takeaway boxes in the freezer for Ron!
    Thursday’s dinner will be the last of the frozen mackerel pieces with rice & frozen petit pois.

We are off to France, so the freezer emptying will be on hold until we return with my DSis in tow :rotfl:

So wishing everyone success in their Love Food, Hate Waste campaign & I will see you all in five or six weeks :rotfl:

MrsSD

I am back like a bad penny :rotfl:

We just had my hm soup with the last of the hm croutons. As there is so much left over, I will freeze a large portion (I know I am supposed to be emptying the freezer :o) & we will finish off the soup tomorrow for lunch + I have 3 slices of bread in the freezer which I will toast & crumble into the soup - not quite croutons but close enough - a bit more space in the freezer :j

I now have a full inventory of what is left in the freezer:

Large pot of used once goose fat, small pot of blitzed chicken stew to use as a base, half a bag of mini scallops, *3 mackerel fillets*, *small bag of breadcrumbs*, 3 takeaway boxes containing mint, sage, rosemary, chives & thyme, 6 venison sausages, 6 fish fingers, takeaway box of unsweetened stewed Bramley apples, 2 takeaway boxes of sliced onions, 100g of stilton wrapped in foil, ice cream tub of hm potato & Stilton soup, bags of leeks, petit pois, broccoli & cauliflower & mushrooms. Also 2 ice cube trays & 4 gel packs.
    The mood took me, so I have just come back from the kitchen having prepared tomorrow’s dinner :-

Made a finely chopped mix of the last of the capers & pitted black olives from the fridge (glass jars washed & put in recycling bin), with a few sun dried tomatoes, some pickled silverskin onions, a bit of fresh lemon juice (the lemon has been sliced, put in a pot & put in the freezer). Mixed in the breadcrumbs from the freezer & seasoned with ground pepper. I have made foil wraps with the mackerel fillets covered with this mixture & some slivers of butter. No excuse now - just have to put in oven & boil up some rice :j:rotfl:

* by the items means used up :T

So freezer emptied a little more & 3 items out of the fridge - :T

I can do no more :p I will sign off & wish everyone luck on their mission to Love Food, Hate Waste :j

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • SavvySpaniel
    Options
    Hi there, I have just found this thread and wondered if anyone could give me a bit of advice on how to keep the potted herbs I buy in the supermarket alive a bit longer!
    I happened across a basket of reduced potted herbs in Tesco the other night - all down to 19p! Basil, Coriander, Parsley and Chives.

I stopped buying these pots a while ago as I found that as soon as I got them home, they all started wilting and a couple of days later they were ready to throw away! I water them and talk to them and try to give them a good life ... but no luck .. they always end up in the bin.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to keep them a bit longer?

Thanks!
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,129 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    i stopped buying these pots a while ago as I found that as soon as I got them home, they all started wilting and a couple of days later they were ready to throw away! I water them and talk to them and try to give them a good life ... but no luck .. they always end up in the bin.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to keep them a bit longer?

Thanks!
    Hi I keep mine on the kitchen window sill and give them a lot of water every night. They will eventually start to wilt/die but should last a good few weeks if not months. When they start to go chop and freeze them although I'm not sure if that will work for the basil. Like all herbs they will benefit from having the tops picked out regularly
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    I am back like a bad penny :rotfl:

We just had my hm soup with the last of the hm croutons. As there is so much left over, I will freeze a large portion (I know I am supposed to be emptying the freezer :o) & we will finish off the soup tomorrow for lunch + I have 3 slices of bread in the freezer which I will toast & crumble into the soup - not quite croutons but close enough - a bit more space in the freezer :j

I now have a full inventory of what is left in the freezer:

Large pot of used once goose fat, small pot of blitzed chicken stew to use as a base, half a bag of mini scallops, *3 mackerel fillets*, *small bag of breadcrumbs*, 3 takeaway boxes containing mint, sage, rosemary, chives & thyme, 6 venison sausages, 6 fish fingers, takeaway box of unsweetened stewed Bramley apples, 2 takeaway boxes of sliced onions, 100g of stilton wrapped in foil, ice cream tub of hm potato & Stilton soup, bags of leeks, petit pois, broccoli & cauliflower & mushrooms. Also 2 ice cube trays & 4 gel packs.
    The mood took me, so I have just come back from the kitchen having prepared tomorrow’s dinner :-

Made a finely chopped mix of the last of the capers & pitted black olives from the fridge (glass jars washed & put in recycling bin), with a few sun dried tomatoes, some pickled silverskin onions, a bit of fresh lemon juice (the lemon has been sliced, put in a pot & put in the freezer). Mixed in the breadcrumbs from the freezer & seasoned with ground pepper. I have made foil wraps with the mackerel fillets covered with this mixture & some slivers of butter. No excuse now - just have to put in oven & boil up some rice :j:rotfl:

* by the items means used up :T

So freezer emptied a little more & 3 items out of the fridge - :T

I can do no more :p I will sign off & wish everyone luck on their mission to Love Food, Hate Waste :j

MrsSD

The toasted bread as croutons worked well :j

The mackerel with my concoction was absolutely delicious :drool: got the seal of approval from DH & I thoroughly enjoyed it even though I am not a fan of mackerel - usually too strong a taste for my palate :o

MrsSD

Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good Morning chums and back home from my holiday and we brought a bit of stuff back with us so only had a very small shop to get this morning. belt tightening in in full operation again so I will be rooting through my freezer and cupboards once more to try and use up what I have in store.

Tonight's dinner will be a veggie curry from the freezer and some rice with yogurt and diced fruit for pud.

I brought some left over carrots home from my holidays so they will be turned into carrot and coriander soup for this weeks lunches. Only spent just over a fiver this morning and bought literally what I was out of stock of tomato's cucumber and some long life milk and some fruit.So hopefully I have enough with whats in stock indoors to keep me away from the shops next week.
    Hope everyone has had a good week

Cheers chums

JackieO xx
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I need to belt tighten as well. I throw very little away as I tend to freeze any leftovers but I'm useless at using up these frozen bits so consequently there is a huge backlog in the freezer.

I think part of the problem is that I love cooking from scratch and feel I've let the family down if everything isn't freshly prepared. I think I need to change my mindset because it's getting ridiculous the amount of leftovers I have frozen.

So I'm just going to go and do a traybake and make sure i use it all up before I make another one. We can have it fresh this lunchtime (DH always wants something sweet after a meal) I can use some tomorrow and the rest with custard or cream as a pudding, hopefully I can make it last 4days. It's a start but still doesn't address the leftovers in the freezer!!
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    When I mealplan I always try to use up at least some of the leftovers that are in the freezer.

I do my mealplan monthly so it's quite easy to slot in various meals from the freezer over the month and then make use of fresh stuff on the in between days.

Denise
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    zafiro1984 wrote: »
    I need to belt tighten as well. I throw very little away as I tend to freeze any leftovers but I'm useless at using up these frozen bits so consequently there is a huge backlog in the freezer.

I think part of the problem is that I love cooking from scratch and feel I've let the family down if everything isn't freshly prepared. I think I need to change my mindset because it's getting ridiculous the amount of leftovers I have frozen.

So I'm just going to go and do a traybake and make sure i use it all up before I make another one. We can have it fresh this lunchtime (DH always wants something sweet after a meal) I can use some tomorrow and the rest with custard or cream as a pudding, hopefully I can make it last 4days. It's a start but still doesn't address the leftovers in the freezer!!

zafiro1984, when I used to have lots of frozen leftovers (usually a single portion) I would take two different ones out & then add appropriate carbohydrates & lots of frozen veg. DH & I never seem to have a problem deciding who wants what :rotfl: Re small amounts of leftovers e.g. a spoonful of mash, some lo cooked veg, a couple of sausages - I usually bung everything in a frying pan (chop the sausages) & dry fry - hey presto a type of bubble & squeak - if not enough for two, I will add a couple of fried eggs.

Don’t know if this is any use :)?

MrsSD

• joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    zafiro1984, when I used to have lots of frozen leftovers (usually a single portion) I would take two different ones out & then add appropriate carbohydrates & lots of frozen veg. DH & I never seem to have a problem deciding who wants what :rotfl: Re small amounts of leftovers e.g. a spoonful of mash, some lo cooked veg, a couple of sausages - I usually bung everything in a frying pan (chop the sausages) & dry fry - hey presto a type of bubble & squeak - if not enough for two, I will add a couple of fried eggs.

Don’t know if this is any use :)?

MrsSD

Exactly what I did for lunch today! Delicious it was too.

Denise
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure