PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Options

Comments

• Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    No sun today - rainy & chilly :( so bangers, mash & baked beans :)

MrsSD

Delicious :drool: & a bit of everything lo either for DH or DSis :rotfl:

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have had a late breakfast as I am off this afternoon to a 70th birthday do at a local village hall I shall have a cuppa there and a piece of cake and a natter with the folk I meet, then its home by 5 as I am going out to dinner tonight at eldest DDs Her Ma-in-law Margaret is coming down from London for the weekend, so we will be having a good chinwag tonght Not a lot of cooking for me today Tomorrow night I am out to dinner at youngest DDs as well so weekend off from cooking for me :):)

Going to sort out some tinned bits from the cupboard to use up this coming week.I shall put them on the worktops in the kitchen to remind me to use them up. I want to rearrange my kitchen cupboard space a bit but ned to sort the stocks out first
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    YorksLass wrote: »
    Same here, my Mum was a good cook - apart from vegetables! Those soggy portions put me off for years but now I love veggies.
    My mother's idea of cabbage was a sort of yellow slime that had been boiled in a big pan of water for ages, then chucked into a colander and the water squeezed out with the back of a saucer. Disgusting doesn't begin to describe it!
    To this day, I can't face cooked cabbage. :(
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    Not only did my mother overcook veg she frequently served them in white sauce-cauliflower, asparagus, broccoli even carrots on occasion would be smothered with it.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,515 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Lamewolf, you must be the sister I never had! We clearly had the same mother. All our veg was overcooked but the slimy mess that was cabbage was in a class of its own.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 29 April 2018 at 10:09AM
    Options
    Morning all damp and chilly here in Kent at the moment .Menu planning this morning for May I have decided that I shall plot out my month ahead and see how many dinners needed and sketch out roughly what they will be and work my shopping needed for the month I have been very happy using up quite a bit of the freezer stuff during April and really want to get it emptied as soon as I can so I can defrost it I suppose its about two thirds full now which is good and I do have a bit of wriggle room at last but its taken me ages to do and hopefully I can get in done before my family holiday in August.I am also getting my tinned stuff in order and have now got a few out and they are on the kitchen counter so I know to make sure they get used up during the week Its surprising how much food you accumulate in the cupboards and think 'Oh I haven't got much to cook I had better go to the shops Having worked hard at reducing my freezer pile since christmas I have noticed that my food bill has dropped quite a bit .I am only home as a rull for five evening meals per week and often less than that so I really don't need to be having all this food in store .So food decluttering by eating instead of buying more will be my watchword this summer Obviously I still need fresh fruit and veg but in the main I think I have more than enough to feed myself adequately for the next few months just from my stores alone .I have virtually halved my food budget purse since Christmas and the surplus has gone into my main holiday savings so win-win as my DGS says :)

Right onwards and upwards with this coming months menus.

Hope everyone is OK and using up all their odds and ends to the best advantage

Cheers chums

JackieO xxx

I adore vegetables and badly cooked ones are disgusting I remember going to dinner at someones house and they had made some brussel sprouts as a side veg and I think they had been cooking them for about a week as they poured a dark green puddle of mush onto my plate !!! What a waste of a lovely veg I ate it ,mopping it up with a potato like green gravy but never went back to dinner at their house again.I like my veg crispy or just starting to soften I steam most of mine as a three tier steamer is great as it cooks three veg on the one ring so money saving as well(less to wash up as well :)
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Mrs_Salad_Dodger Posts: 4,908 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 30 April 2018 at 10:47PM
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Today was a good LFHW day here in France -

Lunch was lo boiled potatoes from Sunday dinner which were fried & chicken pieces skin on (from freezer) fried in BUTTER:eek:

Dinner was a slow cooked lamb (from freezer) stew with carrots, mushrooms, onions, lo peas & beans & lots of potatoes - first time recipe for me (a tweaked Mary Berry recipe) & was delicious :drool: DSis & DH have put in a request for a repeat when we are back in London :rotfl:

Tomorrow will add some lo duck from Sunday to the stew & will have for lunch with crusty bread

LFHW

MrsSD

Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,403 Forumite
    edited 30 April 2018 at 11:07PM
    Options
    Hello,
    We are also trying to run the freezers down so the one in the shed can be defrosted and cleaned out ready for this year's produce.
    Not much meat left:
    Turkey thighs - had tonight -as a curry (used up red pepper).
    Bag of chicken breast
    Whole duck
    1 lot of mince.
    Sausages and bacon

Bread
    Fish we have nearly finished, only salmon and hubby's kippers left.
    Quorn - make into a chilli for tomorrow.
    Home made food - lasagna - going to eat on Friday
    4 homemade pies of various sorts - 1 to be consumed this week.
    Left over bolagnaise sauce.
    Stewed fruit of various sorts
    Frozen strawberries (waiting for my birthday present an ice-cream maker)
    Various odds and ends eg lemon zest, leek chopped up, spring rolls
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Mrs_Salad_Dodger Posts: 4,908 Forumite
    Options
    The sun shone today but still freezing :(

Added another chicken stock cube & some more water to the lo lamb stew with its added duck meat :) & it was absolutely delicious :drool:

Dinner was fish & chips & peas - thoroughly enjoyed it

No menu plan yet but we are doing well re freezer emptying so will need to go shopping tomorrow.

MrsSD

• purplevamp
    purplevamp Posts: 10,337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Haven't posted in a while but today I used up a curry pack with spices, which had a BB date of Dec 2017. Not too bad. But I did have to throw away a pack of instant mash BB Oct 2012 :eek:
    Mortgage: Was: £154,495 Oct 2039 Now: £91,758.85 Jul 2037
    Swagbucks ~ £150 (2023 ~ £355)
    Surveys ~ £88.68 (2023 ~ £344.20)
    Make £2024 in 2024 #35 ~ £246.61 ~ (2023 ~ £2,224.70)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback