PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Options

Comments

• crazytree
    crazytree Posts: 72 Forumite
    Options
    There are some brilliant ideas for cabbage here. Thanks everyone. I never thought of putting it in a stir fry, which will fit in with the meal plan very nicely, do I shall probably do that and have a go at freezing the rest. The Kapuska looks nice but I'm not sure Himself will approve of cabbage stew! I didn't even know wrapping it in foil was a thing, I just take it out of the plastic bag (which isn't needed) to stop it sweating!
    I totally understand how childhood experience of cabbage could put you off it, Bouicca. My Mum cooked it pretty well, she didn't approve of overcooking veg. She did manage to put me off both courgettes and chickpeas for life though - and anything with bran in it due to the time she (we) did the f-plan diet!
    Thank all!
    Tx
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,562 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Finishing off the chicken from Sunday's roast in a HM curry sauce. Will have with spiced rice.

Denise
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Monday night’s dinner was left over lamb in gravy with boiled potatoes, green beans, peas & carrots.

Had pain au raisin for breakfast, all three of us actually had lunch today a beautiful salad - the salad was so nice that I had another salad for dinner :rotfl: DH & DSis finished off the lo lamb in gravy - DH had with crusty bread & DSis had the lo boiled potatoes fried. Each of us thoroughly enjoyed our meal & I did the washing up straightaway :)

If the weather tomorrow is as nice as today then I will probably have salad again but no ideas for DH & DSis :o

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This may sound counter-intuitive to this thread but I've just bought 12 x 600ml cartons of double cream to make ice cream as my hens have suddenly decided it's Spring and are laying their socks off. I sell eggs at the gate but just now I have plenty left over so the 12 cartons will take care of 96 eggs. I'm doing dark chocolate and ginger, coffee, chocolate, lemon, orange, lemon and lime, brown bread and blackcurrant flavours - all of which I have in the freezer, fridge or cupboard. It's going to be a busy day tomorrow!!!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sounds like an excellent way to speculate to accumulate I think your ice cream needs will be covered for a nice scorching hot summer hopefully and its not wasting cash when its something thats been used up i.e. the surplus eggs. The flavours sound gorgeous Well done on such a brilliant idea
  • purpleybat
    purpleybat Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    It is my considered opinion that the best thing to do with cabbage is to add it to the compost heap. I still remember the over cooked soggy mess of my childhood. I don't give the stuff house room.

I suppose you could add it to a stir fry?

stir fried cabbage is lovely, i do some onions and mushrooms, chuck in shredded cabbage and slosh of soy sauce or water, bung a lid on for a few minutes then remove it to dry it out. a sprinkle of sesames seeds is nice.
    stuffed cabbage leaves (if they're big), i've done those before with a mince filling, covered in tomato sauce. they've frozen okay.
    i don't think i'd freeze a cabbage, i think the ice crystals would make it really watery and tasteless (like school stuff) but i could be wrong.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,714 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    zafiro1984 wrote: »
    This may sound counter-intuitive to this thread but I've just bought 12 x 600ml cartons of double cream to make ice cream as my hens have suddenly decided it's Spring and are laying their socks off. I sell eggs at the gate but just now I have plenty left over so the 12 cartons will take care of 96 eggs. I'm doing dark chocolate and ginger, coffee, chocolate, lemon, orange, lemon and lime, brown bread and blackcurrant flavours - all of which I have in the freezer, fridge or cupboard. It's going to be a busy day tomorrow!!!
    Ahem. :hello:

Just to say I'm first in the queue for the dark chocolate and ginger (a match made in heaven) and lemon & lime. :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mmmm lemon and lime my favourite, I could manage the ginger but not with dark chocolate though I am not keen on that at all
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    No sun today - rainy & chilly :( so bangers, mash & baked beans :)

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    But my Mum used to overcook most vegetables - carrots, cauli, sprouts - but I don't see that as a reason not to eat it cooked as I like it now some 45 years later. ;)

Same here, my Mum was a good cook - apart from vegetables! Those soggy portions put me off for years but now I love veggies.
    zafiro1984 wrote: »

Mmm, coffee, dark chocolate & ginger - in fact, any of them. Can I have a place in the queue, please? :D

I'm not one for buying F&V wrapped in plastic and much prefer to buy loose. Now, you'd think loose would be cheaper, but not so. Last week I noticed loose Bramley apples were £1.75/kg in Sainsbobs and the bagged ones were £1.60. I managed to find some scales, weighed a bag and it was just over 1kg. Bag bought and apple pies now on the menu. ;)

I also got a box of Matzos for the princely sum of 10p. BBE date Feb 2019. We're not Jewish but have had these before and they go so well with soup or dips.

Liver, bacon & onion casserole for dinner tomorrow, very appropriate now the weather has turned cool again. :( I hope those few nice days weren't our summer - I was enjoying salad for a change! :D
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure