Energy Usage 2018

Options

Comments

• Chris, your 2016 gas usage was approaching mine! We have gas hob, and to be fair, once i'd though about it, we also had an open basket fire on most nights through winter, which was basically sending heat straight up the chimney.....but it looked so warm and cosy!

I've blocked chimney off this year! And instead, was looking on Amazon for a 'Flame Effect' bulb, to hide under a pile of logs :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 September 2018 at 8:29PM
    Options
    Just a further thought. There are obviouslys a LOT of variables to consider when comparing energy usage. I found this from OFGEM. It relates to the previous 'average consumption' figures from 2003. Looks like they updated them in 2011, and again in 2017.

Typical medium consumption figures 20,500 kWh 3,300 kWh (2003-2011)

Typical medium consumption figures 16,500 kWh 3,300 kWh (2011)

Typical medium consumption figures 12,000 kWh 3,100 kWh (2017)

and :
    Typical high consumption values: Gas - 23,000 kWh, Electricity - 5,100 kWh (2003-2011).

So based on the old figures i feel much better :)

Perhaps one factor for the reduction is gas usage but not electric, is that as time goes by, the proportion of all the tiny little houses (and therefore cheaper to heat but containing the same electrical gadgets) being built is increasing :)
  • chrisw99
    Options
    Lots of factors change it over the years. We've had kids growing up so have gone from perhaps running the washing machine 3 times a week, to sometimes 3 times a day! Same with the dishwasher.

I'm just glad we're not yet on a water meter!

On the positive side, I changed every bulb in my house to LED last year.

Getting smart meters fitted soon, so I should be able to analyse in a bit more detail how much running the washing machine costs and things like that.
  • Heh! don't mention LED's to me! I've tried so many different ones over the years, and found problems with most of them. Flickering, and poor dimming solutions being the worst.

They've finally started making some decent ones, but in my experience, the good ones are few and far between (and bloody expensive!).

On similar note, i'd been waiting for OLED Tv's for ages, but it seems now they're here, they're no more energy efficient than LED t'vs. Although still half the usage of my plasma :)

I've forbidden the use of the Tumble Dryer this year though, so hopefully that should save a few quid :)
  • chrisw99
    Options
    Same here, tried a few LEDs a few years back and they were horrible. Our living room and dining room both have 5 candle bulbs so that was probably costing a fortune and I was always put off having to buy 10 LED candle bulbs at nearly £10 each, but the price dropped and I think it was Tesco own brand warm white ones that we went for.

We've been talking gas so far, but I've noticed my electric usage is double the average for a 3 bed semi...

https://ibb.co/b5SeFU

But my wife does work from home, so when most homes are not usually using much, the lights are on, the PC is on, the kettle will be going.
  • Heh, i was going to suggest getting her an LED headtorch, but you already have LED lighting :)

Still seems a lot though. Do you have a dishwasher? They (at 2kwh/day) can be 700kwh alone over the course of a year.

I suppose at the end of the day, it comes down to convenience v cost.
  • chrisw99
    Options
    Yeah got a dishwasher on twice a day :(
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Threads of this nature provide little in the way of illumination. Usage differs in families; homes have different build qualities and locations are different to name but a few of the variables. High users feel bad; low users feel smug. The truth is that Ofgem monitors household usage and it updates typical values each year. Even without smart meters, usage is falling year on year as consumers buy more energy efficient TVs; lights and household appliances. That said, in the next decade we will likely see electricity use increase as more people switch to an electric vehicle.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/gas/retail-market/monitoring-data-and-statistics/typical-domestic-consumption-values
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 September 2018 at 2:25PM
    Options
    chrisw99 wrote: »
    Same here, tried a few LEDs a few years back and they were horrible. Our living room and dining room both have 5 candle bulbs so that was probably costing a fortune and I was always put off having to buy 10 LED candle bulbs at nearly £10 each, but the price dropped and I think it was Tesco own brand warm white ones that we went for.

We've been talking gas so far, but I've noticed my electric usage is double the average for a 3 bed semi...

https://ibb.co/b5SeFU

But my wife does work from home, so when most homes are not usually using much, the lights are on, the PC is on, the kettle will be going.
    I thought the same a few years ago when I first tried a batch of 4 x 3 watt GU14 in the kitchen..dreadful..too dim but times have changed and importantly the wattage has gone up and the price right down.Eg Screwfix 4 pack of 5.9 watt E14 ( small screw ) candle bulbs is currently £6.47 at Screwfix (forget Tesco price ) which is only £1.60 each
    The light from them in a bank of 4 pendant lights for the lounge is bright enough. I now have 2 x 4 pendants of warm white in my lounge and the total wattage of all 8 is only 47 watts..Equal to just one of those 50 watt Halogen Gu14 that people have by the dozen in kitchens. A row of 4 x 6 watt LED spots is also perfect for medium sized kitchens and plenty bright enough. I think that 5.5 to 6 watts should be the minimum wattage for any LED s
    Well known auction sites sell these 6 watt LED candles much cheaper than Screwfix but I don`t trust them after I saw a BBC Fake Britain prog where they showed instances of highly dangerous bulbs which were live to the touch when switched on, coming out of these outlets from the Chinese sweatshops..
    I don`t trust Ebay or Amazon at all nowadays because of the numbers of counterfeit goods on sale so I will stick to recognised brands like Screwfix for bulbs. I bought a few £1 candle LED s from the late Poundworld and they are still going strong
  • Far from it Hengis, i've found it quite informative.

Whats yours btw?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport