Energy Usage 2018

Options

Comments

• chrisw99
    Options
    Wow! that is seriously low. :T Whats your secret? Do you have any form of energy store for your solar? I have all LED lighting (which makes a massive difference), try to only use washing machine, vacuum when sun is out etc. Admittedly i'm guiltily of watching tv or gaming in the evenings when the solar has finished its day, but I don't think I could ever match those kind of figures with my current setup.

My problem these days is just the family setup, kids are older so they're staying up late night. In the peak evening, wife is in the living room watching TV, I'm in the man cave on PS4, son1 is in his bedroom on the Xbox, and son2 in his bedroom on his Nintendo, whilst both the first of several washing machine and dishwasher cycles are going on in the background!

Probably use more in a night than most use in a week.
  • jhiker
    jhiker Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    3-bed semi - just me and Mrs H. Kids have flown the nest..

2015-2016
    E 2041k Wh
    G 7887 kWh

2016-2017
    E 1975 kWh
    G 7907 kWh

Currently paying s/order of £55/mth to Bulb
  • ajbell
    ajbell Posts: 1,151 Forumite
    Options
    chrisw99 wrote: »
    Do you happen to know what your yearly usage would be without the pv system, have you got readings from before?

(looking at your numbers enviously... less than half my gas usage, and an eighth of my elec usage!)

Yes, used to use 16000 gas and 3000 elec, gas usage has fallen as I have an iboost which diverts excess energy which would be exported first to a hot water tank and then to an oil filled radiator.
    I get 16p a kwh for what I produce so now I get back in FIT payments slightly more than I spend on dual fuel.
    4kWp, South facing, 16 x phono solar panels, Solis inverter, Lincolnshire.
  • ajbell
    ajbell Posts: 1,151 Forumite
    Options
    Just to clarify, I generate around 4200 kwh per year and hate exporting back to the grid.
    4kWp, South facing, 16 x phono solar panels, Solis inverter, Lincolnshire.
  • Just found an elderly relatives usage. Always at home.

3 bed semi, cavity wall & loft insulation & DG. 2 year old condensing boiler.

Gas:27000kwh
    Lec:1300kwh
  • chrisw99
    Options
    Just found an elderly relatives usage. Always at home.

3 bed semi, cavity wall & loft insulation & DG. 2 year old condensing boiler.

Gas:27000kwh
    Lec:1300kwh

That even tops my gas usage with my ancient inefficient boiler.

They must have their thermostat high so the heating is on all the time I guess.
  • Chris, its set at 21oC, and timer from 7am to 9pm.

But like most old folk, still likes fire on at same time :)
  • chrisw99
    Options
    Seems extremely high then, if it's a modern condensing boiler too
  • Lotak
    Lotak Posts: 96 Forumite
    Options
    chrisw99 wrote: »
    I presume you had no heating on during the heatwave? How much kWh did you use in a single summer month( June or July )?

May
    G - 537
    E - 300
    Jun
    G - 505
    E - 244
    Jul
    G - 284
    E - 234
    Aug
    G - 474
    E - 287

Our hobs are gas powered and it was my daughter's 1st birthday in August. We had a party, and my wife did a lot of cooking. We also had entertained one evening (which we don't normally do).

When we were in the flat, we were using around 150 kWh for gas and 200 kWh for electric during the summer months.

Our hot water tank also seems to be on 24/7. Rather embarrassingly, I don't know how to put it on a timer or turn it off.
    Current Debt (excluding mortgage) - £7,020
    Reducing £450/ month.
  • chrisw99
    Options
    Lotak wrote: »
    May
    G - 537
    E - 300
    Jun
    G - 505
    E - 244
    Jul
    G - 284
    E - 234
    Aug
    G - 474
    E - 287

Our hobs are gas powered and it was my daughter's 1st birthday in August. We had a party, and my wife did a lot of cooking. We also had entertained one evening (which we don't normally do).

When we were in the flat, we were using around 150 kWh for gas and 200 kWh for electric during the summer months.

Our hot water tank also seems to be on 24/7. Rather embarrassingly, I don't know how to put it on a timer or turn it off.

My gas in June 2018 was 221 and July 125.

Had a new boiler installed last December.

My gas in 2017 was 670 June and July 379.

Looks like getting the old ancient boiler with gravity hot water was using 3x as much! First time I've actually compared my pre and post combi figures, just let of a little squee of delight!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure