Ford Ecoboost - engine failure

Options

Comments

• Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    And therein lies the issue. I was pretty much happy with my Focus (apart from the door seals issue until I fixed it myself) although Ford Customer Service was awful.
    The problem with the engines is that you don't know they're going to fail until they actually do fail and by that time you need a new engine at a cost of thousands (a coolant level sensor could possibly have helped).
    The fact that there was no way of knowing if my car was going to die on me or not was what prompted me to get rid of it (along with the awful responses from Ford that are well documented).
    I do hope you continue to enjoy your ecoboost and are one of many that don't have a problem but for me that growing problem was more than I could put up with.

Is there really no coolant level sensor? My 20 odd year old Lupo had a coolant level sensor.....
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    Is there really no coolant level sensor? My 20 odd year old Lupo had a coolant level sensor.....

Not sure if the latest models have them or not but my 2013 Focus and my wife’s 2015 Fiesta didn’t have them. Apparently it’s not unusual with a number of modern engines.
  • TickersPlaysPop
    TickersPlaysPop Posts: 753 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 September 2018 at 8:12AM
    Options

The 1.0 litre petrol turbo Focus cars 2012 to 2014 certainly do not have coolant level sensors, maybe newer engines also lack this basic safety element. The 1.6 also didnt, but due to a safety recall in Jan 2018 due to a fire risk, it will have a level sensor fitted along with a completely new coolant system layout with new pipes and new software.

The 1.0 litre desperately needs a recall to fit it with an appropriate coolant system to significantly prevent over heating events occuring which lead to severe engine damage to the point of needing an entire new engine.
    Peace.
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The Facebook group is showing people with coolant tanks that are just disintegrating with cracks inside the bonnet.

Apparently you can replace it for £15 at a dealer. Whoever heard of having to replace a coolant tank for wear?
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    Arklight wrote: »
    The Facebook group is showing people with coolant tanks that are just disintegrating with cracks inside the bonnet.

Apparently you can replace it for £15 at a dealer. Whoever heard of having to replace a coolant tank for wear?

I've been driving since 1973, lost count of the cars I've owned but definitely know I've never replaced a coolant tank and none of my mates have either (mind you they haven't owned an ecoboost:rotfl:).
  • TickersPlaysPop
    Options
    Arklight wrote: »

I've been reading the facebook page almost daily for over a year. There are multiple points of failure that can occur. Pipes/hoses, gaskets, expansion tank, cabin heater matrix. All this within 3 to 5 yrs is an indication that the materials of the components combined with the temperature and pressure and coolant mix is not fit for purpose. This could be a bad batch but the system can leak in too many places for it to be isolated to a bad batch of 1 component.

Cracking plastic as we all know is a sign of aging.

If the consequence of a coolant leak is almost certain engine failure and a bill for £6000, Ford should have a modified their preventative maintenance schedule to change these parts before the parts start to fail.
    Peace.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    I've also owned many old cars and never once replaced a coolant tank.
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    I've also owned many old cars and never once replaced a coolant tank.

Or heater matrix for that matter.

I have replaced the odd coolant pipe but the last one I can remember doing was a 1970 Hillman Imp and the engine was fine afterwards despite having an alloy head
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    Pulled into supermarket car park on my way home tonight and saw a 14 plate Focus, bonnet up, empty coolant tank but unattended. Obviously awaiting collection.
  • TickersPlaysPop
    Options
    UPDATE....

Inside Out BBC show to air TBC 1 Oct 7:30 pm

Reg plate list now at 1191 with more known by the group founder but yet to be added.

Group legal action legal team ramping up advertising due to strong interest.
    Peace.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport