Ford Ecoboost - engine failure

Options

Comments

• TickersPlaysPop
    TickersPlaysPop Posts: 753 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 August 2018 at 7:35PM
    Options
    The Australian post is quite informative, as are the knowledgable car engineers that form the facebook group. It suggests at the fundamental design flaws in the engine. A recall was issued in Jan 201i8 as a safety recall for the 1.6's where there was a fire risk due a seal failing. That recall significantly changes the coolant system rooting.

But, Ford still have not publically admitted the 1.0 litre issue and have not recalled it. Instead they force people through a protracted process of fighting for assistance with the £6000 bill and then 6+ weeks waiting for it to be fixed. There was a recall issued yrs ago for the degas hose on 1.0 litres and many cars have still not been processed in even this past year. But loss of coolant from any part of numerous weak points can swiftly lead to engine damage and need for replacememt.

Modifying the engine as per Australian directions is not advisable if you want a chance of a good will contribution from Ford. i.e. almost writing off the car which will soon be the case as the value of them drops due to the media coverage. In about a yr there might be many 6 yr old cars being scrapped due to huge repair costs.
    Peace.
  • musty
    musty Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tim - did you get Ford to pay 100% for the repair? I have set up a page specifically for this problem and have helped hundreds get full contribution from Ford. Its scandalous that they are not recalling these vehicles...

Hi
    My son had the same problem. The coolant pipe failed and the car requires a new engine. Ford are playing hard. Where can I find the page and how can benefit from your help? Thanks
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ford are well aware that there is a design flaw with this engine, if they aren't going to do a recall they could at least stand behind it when it's out of warranty.
  • musty
    musty Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Done :) For anyone else the group is called

'Ford Focus Ecoboost 1.0L Turbo Zetec Faulty Coolant Pipe Engine Head Gasket'

How do I find the group? Thanks
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    http://bfy.tw/JJ0G

P1 of the thread.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • TickersPlaysPop
    Options
    musty wrote: »
    How do I find the group? Thanks

The Facebook group changed name around May this year. It has been going for over 2 yrs now.

It is now called "Ford Ecoboost Nightmare", and is an open group so you can see all posts without being a member of it.

Also, the group legal action for a long term way of getting compensation for losses...

See http://www.roscoereid.com/ford-ecoboost-engines/
    Peace.
  • Bedhead1157
    Options
    Arklight wrote: »
    I'd certainly be interested in a bigger petrol turbo (from a different manufacturer) as I think the technology is a great idea, but I’d steer clear of a 1.0 pulling a car the size of a Focus.

Incidentally this has also been a problem for 1.2 litre turbo petrol Qashqais. The small turbo engines are being thrashed pulling the weight of these cars.

The missus is looking at buying a Karoq, the 1.0 with the 7 speed DSG box, she thinks its just the same engine as her Citigo, in fact it's nearly double the power hauling a bigger car.

I have a 110 bhp Fabia TSI, we plugged some diagnostic gear into the ODB port and it's boosting to 11psi, much less than the Ecoboosts are. They don't make my engine any more because the 1.0 is cheaper to make, but that 1.2 is superb, smooth and economical.

I'm old enough to remember when turbos were marketed as giving big engine performance with small engine economy, which is fine in something like a 2 litre, but when you have wee engines hauling about cars that are pretty big and it has to boost all the time, then you will always have problems. It maybe would be fine in a big cast iron engine, but lightweight alloy engines will be a different kettle of fish.

Chap I used to work with has had a couple of Ecoboost Focus (Focii?) he doesn't do big miles, 200 a month at most, but he has been very disappointed in them, he's getting sub 40 mpg and he's a pretty slow driver, he was running TDCi Mondeos before that but the dealer told him he was wasting his time because he didn't do enough miles.
  • TickersPlaysPop
    Options
    Now at 1061 registration plate numbers.

To see full reg' list.... and instructions of how to have a chance of 100% free engine from Ford... even when out of warranty... see the post in 'announcements' section:

https://www.facebook.com

Group name: FordEcoboostNightmare
    Peace.
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There’s a class action suit brewing in the US. Ford have really ducked up with these engines.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure