Ford Ecoboost - engine failure

Options

Comments

• Martxxx
    Martxxx Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Interesting the 1.6 Ecoboost is a Safety Recall and so it ought to be.

what happened to mine two weeks ago

I have just fallen victim to Ford Focus 1.6 ecoboost coolant problem. I got the recall notice on Friday 23rd March 2018, car goes on fire on Sunday 25th ... two days later, its almost like the car read the notice.

I did check the coolant level on Monday 19th March (day off for st patricks day) and it was just a little short of MAX, but hardly in need of any coolant.

Drove about 200 miles that week, including 25 mile on sunday to my mothers house. I did hear the electric fan when i stopped but thought, well i was in traffic and some cars do this, not usually the focus though. Two hours later i drive 1 mile , stop at traffic lights and i see smoke coming from the bonnet. I thought it was the car exhaust in front. I pulled over, lifted the bonnet, and there are flames, the rubber boot and the wiring harness to the crankcase sensor is on fire. Temp on dashboard has never changed from normal, no electric fan operating and the car is so hot it is on fire!

Managed to get a resident with a gallon of water to put the flames out, while i switched off the engine. I waited half an hour, and put warm coolant back in in hope more than expectation it would start, no chance!

Car was then towed to a ford dealer (left outside as it was sunday), on monday they tell me they dont want to fix it as there could be major problems with it they might not be able to fix, but try Trustford. Three Trustford garages tried i get one that might look at it on Thursday, though later they tell me next week, after Easter.

Surely this is something Ford will fix, i have no idea what damage was done, but to just drive a car and it go on fire is alarming, with no warning,(there is no warning light/buzzer for coolant there is for windscreen level). If i had gone shopping and left it after a short drive i would come back to an inferno.

Ford are agreeing to repair the car under the recall, having done a diagnostics check, but as yet no courtesy car, and i have paid for two recovery vehicles. Ford customer services think my insurance should pay for that, despite this being a known fault, and a safety recall. Parts are not available they are on back order from Germany and as yet i have no idea when the car will be fixed
  • BillTrac
    BillTrac Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a 2013 Focus Zetec S with the 125hp engine. I suffered the degas hose break in early November 2016. There is no way the temperature gauge sees that quickly enough. I turned a corner and the engine died. Literally seconds. Mileage 28k.

I called Ford and without any quibble at all it was taken in and when I called to check progress they told me another engine was already on order and was covered by the warranty (the fact I hadn't had the recall notice about the original plastic hose cracking under heat even though I had owned the car for two years may have helped ). There was a mix up over the courtesy car but they gave me a £100 voucher as an apology.
    Lovely car to drive and even though I know I should change for a newer car I'm reluctant to as I enjoy it so much.
  • Martxxx
    Options
    Billtrac, maybe it would be cheaper to tow my car to your Ford dealer:)

Ford have refused a courtesy car/hire car and refused transportation costs between Ford dealers in my case. The wiring loom has not arrived and there is no expected date.

Basically their cars they feel the need to recall for safety reasons are going on fire - but you are on your own, getting it to them and make your own arrangements regarding transport while parts are unavailable however long that might be

Shocking customer service!:eek:
  • Martxxx
    edited 9 April 2018 at 5:45PM
    Options
    Copy of recall letter dated 6th March 2018

URGENT ACTION REQUIRED CONCERNING YOUR VEHICLE THIS IS NOT A CIRCULAR - PLEASE READ IMMEDIATELY
    17S09 - 1.6 Ecoboost engine Coolant Level Sensor System Installation - Safety Recall
    Dear customer,
    Ford Motor Company Limited constantly monitors production processes and vehicles in service. A number of Kuga, Focus, C-Max and Transit Connect vehicles have been produced which if driven without sufficient coolant may result in the engine cylinder head overheating. The overheating may cause the cylinder head to crack allowing oil to leak on to a hot surface that could result in a potential fire risk in the engine compartment.
    Our records indicate that you are the owner of a vehicle which may be affected by this condition. It is important that this vehicle is returned to a Ford Authorised Dealer. Your Ford Authorized Dealer will upgrade the cooling system with a coolant level sensor and update the vehicles software providing visual and audible warnings should the coolant level fall below the required level. All work will be completed free of charge.
    What you should do new Please telephone any Ford Authorised Dealer who will arrange for this important work to be carried out. This letter must be given to your Ford Dealer whilst your vehicle is with them. There will be no charge and your dealer will do his best to minimise your inconvenience. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause you and thank you for your co-operation in this important matter. If you require further advice, please contact your Customer Relationship Centre on the above number. If you no longer own or have responsibility for the vehicle
    Please advise us of a 'Change of Address or Ownership' at the below website To do this all you need is your Vehicle Identification Number and Letter Reference above. Alternatively please complete the attached form and return it in the reply-paid envelope provided. This will help us contact the new owner and advise them of the check/rework.
    Yours faithfully Customer Service Ford Motor Co Ltd
  • TickersPlaysPop
    Options
    The latest report is that the 1.6 litre recall is on hold due to 6 week wait on parts.... call your Ford dealer now to book a date.
    Peace.
  • TickersPlaysPop
    Options
    Watch this space and the Facebook group for a chance to join a possible group litigation order (GLO) for people to claim for losses due to this mess.

Also, Ford appear to have reduced their average offer, and commonly they only offer 55% contribution to the cost of approx £5000 to replace the 1.0 litre engines.
    Peace.
  • TickersPlaysPop
    Options
    Watch this space and the Facebook group for a chance to join a possible group litigation order (GLO) for people to claim for losses due to this mess.

Also, Ford appear to have reduced their average offer, and commonly they only offer 55% contribution to the cost of approx £5000 to replace the 1.0 litre engines.
    Peace.
  • TickersPlaysPop
    Options
    Please share this with all Ecoboost owners and previous owners...

Claim back £1000's !!

http://www.roscoereid.com/ford-ecoboost-engines/

Also, BBC TV today Rip Off Britain... today 9:15am...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b7rsc5

Over 660 cases reported on the Facebook group page and sadly no sign of slowing at all.
    Peace.
  • TickersPlaysPop
    Options
    In the main media now....

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/uknews/6624292/ford-1billion-legal-bill/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5885385/Ford-faces-1billion-legal-fight-defective-engines.html

This action covers all models, the legal website is being updated to reflect this, but currently appears to only cover focus fiesta and 1 other.

This legal action also applies to historical ownership and current.
    Peace.
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,172 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Martxxx wrote: »
    Drove about 200 miles that week, including 25 mile on sunday to my mothers house. I did hear the electric fan when i stopped but thought, well i was in traffic and some cars do this, not usually the focus though. Two hours later i drive 1 mile , stop at traffic lights and i see smoke coming from the bonnet. I thought it was the car exhaust in front. I pulled over, lifted the bonnet, and there are flames, the rubber boot and the wiring harness to the crankcase sensor is on fire. Temp on dashboard has never changed from normal, no electric fan operating and the car is so hot it is on fire!

Managed to get a resident with a gallon of water to put the flames out, while i switched off the engine. I waited half an hour, and put warm coolant back in in hope more than expectation it would start, no chance!

Words fail me. Do you also play Russian roulette while noshing on raw chicken to unwind?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure